Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

I took this photo when I when to put flowers on Dads and (brother) Gary's graves. Hard to believe Dad has been gone 20 years. I still think of him everyday. When I picked up flowers for the graves.. I was thinking.... flowers just aren't my brother Gary. (he was a big, macho, hunting, fishing, football ,sorta guy) ...so I got some fishing bobbers to hang from his! I think he would have liked that.lol

I was thinking about how like so many other holidays, it seems we start to forget the real reason for the day.
I wonder if the next generations will know that it's not just a long weekend for camping, boating, and grilling. I found this , and thought it was interesting , and wanted to share.
MEMORIAL DAY HISTORY

I remember , when I was a kid, we used to drive to SD to decorate the graves and to go to the the Memorial Day service in Herrick (VERY small town). I remember how quiet is was at that country cemetery when the older service men from the VFW marched in carrying the flags. I always watched intently, because my Uncle Jake, was one of those men. Taps played in the distance and then one of the men shouted out some orders and "BANG" the guns went off!!! Being little I was short in the mix of adults, so I could never see when the "BANG" was going to come... so I remember anticipating it, but still jumping. I could feel the "BANG" , thud in my chest as a little child, it was so loud.
My Uncle Jake is gone now and we miss him so much ..but I will always have that memory of how he looked so important in his uniform. Now that I'm older, I realized just how important ALL those men in uniforms really are.


12 comments:

Nat said...

Thanks for your insights of Memorial Day! Hugs

janel said...

Happy to be home and reading your blog. Decoration Day is filled with fond memories of my dad taking those sweet smelling peonies to the cemetery and taking time to remember those that we loved and that gave so much for our country. Thanks for the memories!

MJ said...

We celebrate "Remembrance Day" on Nov 11 each year. It is a quasi-sacred day for my dh whose family has military service histories. (The unfortunate part of Remembrance Day is that it is usually very chilly outside so most services are indoors).

For a little trivia: your link refers to "In Flanders Fields", a poem written by a Canadian medical doctor while serving in the trenches in Belgium, World War I. We visited the site where it was written. If you ever go to Brugge, Belgium, there is a day-trip on a bus that I'd highly recommend. It really made me appreciate the sufferings of WWI soldiers in the trenches...

Sharon in NE said...

My family history is centered around Baltimore and Minnesota so I never grew up with the memories of decorating anyone's graves on Memorial day. I enjoy reading how significant the day is for you and others. I hope this tradition remains strong and doesn't lose its significance as we continue to be more nomadic.

The only family member buried in Nebraska is my brother. He's buried in the Veterans area at Lincoln Memorial Park. Next year, I will start our family tradition and decorate it.

doverdi said...

We have Decoration Sunday in early June at our local cemetery. It is so nice to see the cemetery that day and to see all the flowers in it.
My father passed away when I was pretty young and has been gone 35 years now. I still think of him every day & miss him as well.
Thanks for sharing your day & insights with us.

lynnfrompgh said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures and thoughts!!
Today brings many thoughts of the women and men currently protecting our country and those that have given their lives through the years to keep us free!!!
As a Girl Scout what an honor it was to march in the local town parade. I remember the year I was lucky enough to carry the flag....
tired but sooo proud!!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

What a great post....we all need to remember the REAL reason behind the holiday.

Thanks, I love that you put fishing bobs on your brother's grave...:)
Bless you,
Lidy

becky said...

cool photo! and reading your reminscing about memorial day services gave me goose bumps!

drizman said...

Barb, Bill and I go to Herrick every Memorial Day and put flowers on all of the family graves there as well as attend the ceremony and the pot luck at the Legion.

HB said...

This is the first year we didn't get to our parents graves to put flowers out :( so seeing your pic filled me with warm memories! Thanks Vicki!!

StaceyM said...

Thanks for the memories. We usually have decoration day for my husbands side of the family in September. Always have decoration day and potluck in May for my side of the family. I love seeing everyone and being together to catch up on old times. Always a special way to remember family that is no longer with us.

CAKVD said...

Great writing. It made me feel like I was there.
Cheryl KVD