Wednesday, July 04, 2007

HAPPY FORTH OF JULY!

Happy fourth of July Everyone!


I hope everyone had a happy and safe forth of July! This year the 4th was a bit different than normal. We usually have a big family get together, but this year , with my niece getting married in August, everyone will be be back next month instead. To tell you the truth , it was kind of nice to have things laid back today. Jarad volunteered to work.(triple time...so he's loving that!), Wes wasn't home this weekend ,and I have plenty to catch up on around here.. so I was totally okay with sticking close to home.
I didn't like that idea of mom sitting home by herself today, so I called to see what she was up to. She said she was going to call her friend Mary and see if she wanted to go for coffee, to break up the day. I invited her and Mary to come out here for dinner. She ended up also being invited go with Dan and Lori's to (my sister-in-laws) family gathering also, so she had a busy day, and defiantly did not sit home alone , like I was worried about. Jan(my sis who lives in Lincoln) had also invited mom and us there , if we wanted to come.
We had such a nice time with mom and Mary here this evening. I snapped this photo. My sweet mama is on the right. Mary on the left. My mom turned 85 in Dec..and let me tell you ... she doesn't let much slow her down.

We just grilled out and had traditional Fourth of July eats. ( and banana splits for desert!) Everything was thrown together last minute..so nothing Fancy.. but if you ever need a QUICK and EASY salad .. try this one... it's YUMMY!
Broccoli and Bean Salad

1 head of broc (cut in small pieces)
1 can kidney beans(drained and rinsed)
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 bottle light zesty Italian dressing
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
I add them all together (except the cheese) and let marinate (over night is best...but if your in a hurry..just as long as you have) Stir in cheese , just before serving.


Aly was the only one of the two dogs that was willing participate in my festivities (the wearing of the Uncle Sam hat)... Molly took off the minute she saw me coming with it. (little stinker!)


Hope you all had a super day, whatever you did! And don't forget to put your name in for the give-a-way on Friday, if you haven't already!!!



8 comments:

Deb S. said...

the recipe sounds yummy! i'll have to give it a try, i'm sure it's good tho, coming from you! that's so nice that your mom and mary came out! fun, i wish my mom was closer esp. for holidays....ally is a good sport isn't she?;)

Marie said...

Your mum doesn't look 85!!! Wow, she's gorgeous!

janel said...

Happy 4th to you too! The salad looks great...and the banana splits are making me hungry! :)

Nat said...

This looks like an awesome 4th July!!! Hugs

Aleta1314 said...

Not only does this sound yummy, but how easy is that?? Will definitely being trying this out!

Pattyjo said...

Your 4th of July card is just beautiful! I bet I would recognise your mom in a crowd, since I have been reading your blog. LOL She is such a pretty woman.

Jammy said...

Wow, mom looks in her early 70's I was surprised to learn she was mid-eighties. She's got some good genes!!

Could I put my name in for the giveaway still?

Jenn

becky said...

your mom is such a cutie!

and that salad sounds yummy!