Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Altered Cigar Box

I had some fun things in the mail when I got home and one of them was from Sara Mabin owner of Serendipity Scraps. She has asked me to teach at an upcoming retreat in KC (I'll tell you more about that as details become available). Anyway.. her and I have had some of the best phone conversations. She's just a doll! Actually we have met in person.. a couple of years ago when I was working a retail show in KC for Crafty Secrets. You know how you just click with someone, and could chat all day?... it's like that! Anyway... she sent me one of her yummy kits..and even though I had a million things I "SHOULD" have been doing last night.. (like laundry for instance)..there was this sheet of wings in this kit that was screaming at me... and my soul was just needed to alter something. So... I dug out this old cigar box, and this photo of my niece Neely band , and went to it....

The scrabble tiles were mine, and just plain wood, to I added color with Glimmer Mist. Everything else other than those and the cigar box she sent , and you can see HERE
It was fun to do this as a shadow box, and add fun little elements, as I went.

Nick is the keyboard player, so of course I used the ephemera words that said "Chord Book" and "Piano" for him. lol
Neely is in the Striped Shirt.

I think these kids are all angels, so naturally , they all get wings!!!
Here's the link to the Band , if your interested in checking them out




I doubled up these Heidi Swapp butterflies and by using Diamond Glaze , after coloring them with Alcohol inks.




Oh... the creative freedom felt SO GOOD! I needed to do something funky...and Tilly photos are my fave's to use for that kind of thing. My brother-in-law Keith, (Neely's Dad) Took these photos. He's an amazing photographer. (and so good about sharing with me!)
Thanks Sara for the amazing box of goodies, what a cool gift to have waiting for me when I got home!



This is a good time ..since I'm talking about Neely, to show you the photo she framed and gave me when I saw her on the weekend. She just got off tour ..New Zealand, Australia and Japan.
Do you think her Aunt Vic... loves her??? ummm...YEP! I couldn't love her more if she was my own.

Thanks Neel!






19 comments:

Sara said...

Oh Vicki, such wonderful-ness! I got all teary! I just love you, and I totally, totally love this shadow box - your TALENT never ceases to amaze me!

Karen said...

How cool is that project! Great work. Love the photo too!

D@nielle said...

oh I love that project, I'd love to try it sometime but to be honest I'm afraid it's never going to be as cute as yours .....

Catherine said...

I just love that project!! Totally cool.

Jessrose21 said...

Great way to use the cigar box. You definitely have great pics to work with. I've had a cigar box lying around for years, so maybe it will become a shadow box!

stampqueen said...

I love the cigar box!!!!! I have about 5 that I found at a thrift store that I will have to try out the shadow box thing with. Classes in Gretna eh - only 17 hr. drive time LOL - used to go to 4-H camp there :) I may have to talk to our local scrapbook store - how about a trip to Florida this winter - Jan./febr. time frame :)
tera

MJ said...

I am so tempted to steal all the tiles out of the Scrabble game right now! Saucy also used these tiles & is on the prowl for them too! What a great scrapbooking idea!

janel said...

You sure worked magic on that cigar box. Oh, my! Love that you made it a shadow box. Those wings are just amazing! Don't know how you come up with all these fabulous projects.....definitely a work of LOVE! Thanks for sharing with us!

Elizabeth Royalty said...

I am LOVIN'! that shadow-box! What a fun picture, and you have made it rockin' awesome! love the pic with the koala,too... dontcha just always want to cuddle with one (though I've heard they actually have mean little claws... hmm...)

what a super-aunt you are! wanna adopt another neice? LOL! of course, I'm no rock-star ... but I can sing Old McDonald like a pro, baby!

Sugar Bear said...

The cigar box is so cute. The wings fit perfectly with that photo. I have to get some of this Glimmer Mist - you do such wonderful things with it and it so inspires me!
Karla

Taylor VanBruggen said...

What a cool project! You are just so clever... I love the butterflies in alcohol ink!

Nat said...

sooo cool!!!!

Sharon in NE said...

Now, how can you be so cool, and still be my age?

Incredible art!

Precious Treasures said...

I sell those scrabble letters at the store. Using glimmer mist on them is an awesome idea! I never even thought of coloring the letters. I cannot wait to get to the store tomorrow to try it out. I also would love to have you do an altered cigar box class with all those cigar boxes I have. I would love to get them all out of my crop room. :) I love the one you did!

Helle Greer said...

WOW Vicki, That cigar box is RoCking!!! Totally love it, I showed it to Sofia, and she said WAy cool.
Love ya,
helle

Kirsi said...

Oh my, this is just stunning. Great work.

Pattyjo said...

That is just gorgeous! You are so busy with your beautiful goodies. They are lucky to have you.

Jacob Griffin said...

Really the photos are great.I feel you are getting quite nostalgic looking at those.This thing happens in everybody's life.We were together sometime but we can't be so all the time.These cute photos help us to remind those playful days at a glance & help us to keep it as fresh as posiible.Fine, we should watch these photos when we get free and have some Cuban Cigars with it which will make our memory even more lively and fresh.

jason murray said...

Ohh dear that was so sweet. And must say u are very creative and have a very sharp brain too. Use of glimmer mist and the butterflies in alcohol ink is a very good idea. Next time if I would go to buy cigars, I would try your idea, fore sure.