Sunday, March 30, 2008

Lots to share

I must have just really missed being able to post so much , these past few weeks and I'm catching up , because I have lots to post again today. It's getting late on me, because I was all cozy on the couch...but I'm here..finally! lol
This layout is inspired by a sketch from Cherie Averill, Sketches-R-Us. It a great sketch blog! And not to mention a Nebraska girl too! lol Need inspiration... check it out here Sketches-R-Us
The papers are all Fancy Pants. (Sweet Spring) line, and the chipboard flowers are from the Power Flowerz set and the stamps from"Doodles and things" the set.
The little sweetie pie in the photo is my nephew Austin. (My sister Sharon's Grandson).
This photo was taken when they were back for the 4th of July. Austin, Adriana, Greg and Trinna live in MN.

The is chipboard is from "Lotsa Letters" set.
I used Glimmer Mist and Colorbox CatEye(from Clearsnap) inks on the Chipboard.
The colors of these papers are so beautiful. I should have gotten my photo taken in natural light to show them better, but you can see them HERE also.

ahhhh.... how I long for summer days!


Scrapbook.com carries many of the products I used for this layout. You can find the link to Scrapbook.com at the top right of my blog, just under my header.
____________________________________________________________

I have to tell you... I had such fun making these little birds. Angie from ScrapScene has a new "Scrapping Spring" E-book available , and it's full of great ideas and patterns. The pattern for these cute little birds is just one of them. You can read more about it here.



I added buttons to the breast and tail of my birds. I have these hanging from the shelf in my room. They're helping me feel like it's spring, even though the weather here is icky!!! (defiantly NOT spring-like weather)
Thanks Angie... I'm loving the E-book!


___________________________________________________

***Family***
Yesterday morning , Jarad called me and said he had this weekend off, and he and Kate were going to take a road trip up to South Dakota. What? Okay... you know kids... get an idea and just run with it. lol Actually it's really cool that he wanted to go see family.
My Gram used to live there, and I still have Aunts and a Uncle there. They planned to go visit them.
He also wanted to take my camera... (eeeek my what?... my precious sidekick, that I go nowhere without?) I had a moment of hesitation...and then... gave it to him. Now that's love! lol
(It came back in perfect shape.)
**************
I got the biggest kick out of the photos he took. Here are a few.

If you "city girls" want to know what small town America looks like.... here it is. This is were my Grandparents lived. My parents actually met at a dance here, probably around 1938.

This is just a house on the road out to my aunt and uncles , near where my Grandparents farm was, before they moved to town. ( it seems Jarad like to photograph the same sorts of things his mama does) lol

I didn't get a chance to ask Jarad where this was taken, but look at the chair, and at the trunk Kate is sitting on.
Saturday night, Kate and Jarad spent visiting with Aunt Donna and Uncle Al. (Uncle Al , is my moms only brother). What fantastic, and hard working people. They still live in the same house on the farm , that they've always lived it.
They always have a HUGE garden. Sell the produce, freeze and cann, all that good stuff. Amazing people!
Jarad said they had such a nice time with them.
On Sunday morning they went to see my Aunt Viv ( my moms only sister). Herrick is where her and my Uncle Jack lived all there lives. After Uncle Jake passed away a couple of years ago, Aunt Viv moved to a house in town.. a few miles away.
( I had to ask Jarad what that "TVU" is on his shirt (because I'm so OUT of the loop , these days). I now know...it's a Christian Rock video station. ( I learn something new everyday) lol
Here's Jarad with my sweet Aunt Viv. Jarad said , he and Katy, spend a couple hours visiting with her, after church. They had coffee , and Aunt Vivs homemade banana bread.
Here are some of the photos Jarad took in Herrick. This is the dance hall. My mom and dad kicked up their heals here, a few time also. lol The house my parents lived it when they were first married was only a couple of blocks from here. ( oh yeah... in a town this size.. everything is only a couple of blocks from everything else) lol

We still try to make it back here for Memorial Day , now and then. It was something we always did when dad was still alive. My Uncle Jake (Aunt Viv's husband), was a Veteran, and I always remember how impressed I was when those guys came marching out at the cemetery for the Memorial Day service, and how when they shot off their guns... how I felt the "thud" in my chest. I cherish those memories!



This is the town hall.
I'd love to know what year the school was built in... and how many kids have come and gone through those doors over the years.


I was talking to my mom about this "jail" today. I thought it was something they just built (for a joke). Obviously they just painted the writing on it as a "funny", .........but my mom said they actually used this jail years ago. I laughed SO HARD!!! She said, "well, it could hold one person".
My dad was actually the town cop for a bit. I said "did he ever have to put anyone in there?"...she said (in her sweet mama voice).... "Well ...sure".
Oh...that is just too good! lol
***
All I can say is I'm so glad that my son shares the same appreciation for this people and places that I do. I can just tell. Althought, "I" never lived here, because mom and dad moved to Fremont long before I was born...Some of the best memories from my childhood are from visits to these places, and from these people. It's just too bad there aren't more places like this still around. I'm afraid that someday these places will be even more few and far between.
It's good to know that for now...there still are places like this. It may not seem like much to some...but to me...........priceless!


*** Stay outta jail...theres only room for one! lol































































































































14 comments:

Nat said...

Love your FP Layout - so much yummie stuff! And the photos are fun!

Lynn Mercurio said...

lol...I loved your pictorial of rural America...I can say that I have lived and been in many towns just like this one. My favorite was the jail photo...how funny. Thanks for sharing your photography with us!

Theresa said...

The layout is beautiful. I enjoyed the pics of small town America, too. way cool.

janel said...

Oh, those pictures are wonderful. He has quite the "eye"....in photos and in cute girlfriends. What fun they must have had. Beautiful layout, and those birds are "tweet"...sorry! :)
Have a great week!

Kara Ward said...

Oh, I can't tell you how much that small town looks like where my husband is from in Iowa. I felt like we were back in his neck of the woods. LOL. I want those birds. I am checking those out now...Thanks for sharing. -K

Sugar Bear said...

That jail is too much! It is the size of my garden shed! How wonderful of Jared and Kate to take the time to visit family. I'm sure they loved it. It was fun to see these photos.
Karla

Jessrose21 said...

I love your bird mobiles. Thanks for the link to the patterns.

Geez, and I thought my mom's childhood town was small. Bonesteel makes it look like a metropolis!

Sophia said...

The photos are great! I like the "welcome" painted on the Jail house.

IsaNorris said...

great to read your blog again !! and I love the music too
take care
isa in the UK

Country Liv . . . said...

What wonderful photos! So much fun to see and I bet Jarad and Kate had a great time while taking them. I can tell you've tutored Jarad on taking photos-he's really quite good! Mine are always, hit or miss! I bet Aunt Viv makes good cornbread as I could almost smell it looking at her photo!
TFS!
Liv

Deb S. said...

love all of jarad's photos from the weekend! the little bird "mobile" is so cute,love the lo of sweet austin.

Cherie Averill said...

Wow! I'm so impressed with your use of my sketch I can barely speak!!! BTW, I'm from the O'Neill area originally!

Catherine said...

Love everything about this post - the page is fab, I particularly love the colors!

That town looks like a great place to visit, can I come next time??

Sam Morris said...

Oh gosh, everything you do makes me gasp out loud!! I don't think I will EVER tire of looking out for your latest creations...fabulous stuff!

LOVE how you've coloured the word "Chill"

Great photos too :)