Thursday, March 06, 2008

Recipes and questions

Even though my sinus are making me feel miserable.. the sun was SHINING today... so I'm not compaining! Finished up a project, did some stuff around the house and even baked muffins. Ahhh.... a sunny day, (even if its COLD outside)... can just make me feel so much better. We've had ALOT of gloomy ones lately. Also brightened my day to talk to my girly friends ... Janel, Becky today. Nothing like catching up with good friends.
I decided today would be a good day to bake some muffins to stick in the freezer. I like to send some home with the boys when they come, and a few to mom. We're going to go see the Tilly's Saturday night, so I'm making up a basket for them also. I make double batches of two different kinds.

Here's my banana bread/muffin recipe

BANANA NUT MUFFINS (or bread)

1 Cup sugar
1 Cup(2 med) mashed bananas
1/2 marg (softened)
1/4 Cup Milk
2 eggs
2 Cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 Cup chopped walnuts

Blend first six ingredients at medium speed with electric mixer 2 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients.

(if in a loaf.. bake approx 50-60 minutes)... muffins... approx 20+ (just until light brown on top)

Bake 350
Makes one dozen muffins or one loaf

I had bought these Cranberries and Raisins for mom the other day when I picked up some groceries for her...thinking .. "mom loves cranberries"... well, she does...but now ..it's one of the things on the list of things she CANT eat. Bummer. So she sent them home with me. I make one of the batches of muffins with them.. and then one batch of banana nut..(that mom CAN eat).

I know I've posted my BlueBerry Muffin Recipe before... but I'm posting it again , because it's just a really good simple and diverse recipe that is really good. I just added the cranberries and raisins.. and then some chopped walnuts.. instead of blueberries. You can used the basic recipe and add what you like.

MOM's Muffins:

2 cup flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup marg

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup milk

2-2 1/2 cups blue berries, or in this case... Cranberries and raisins (and walnuts)

Top with 1 Tb sugar mixed with 1/2 tsp nutmeg or cinn (opp)

Bake 375 for 25-30 min

makes 1 dozen muffins
********************************************

That pretty cake plate, is one my sister Jan gave me a few years ago. One of my very favories.

******************************************************
Here is the project I finished today... using the new Chipboards from Crafty Secrets. You can use them individually, as an album or as a swag, (horizontally or vertically). Paper are from the Radiant Paper Pad.
The photos of that darling little girl were taken by her Aunt Janel. Thanks for letting me use your gorgeous photos Janel! Cambell is a doll!

*********************************************
Monday is my volunteer night at Building Families Boutique
It's a begining scrapping class ... so the layout is simple and very basic, but thought I'd share.. I love these photos of Wyatt. What a cute kid!

I love the whole idea of this program. These mothers earn points by taking "family themed" classes, that can be used to purchase new items from the boutique for their child (birth to five years old). The classes can be , involving parenting , cooking , ect... so what better "craft" that involves "family" than Scrapbooking. The girls will be working on pages each week... to eventually have a finished album of thier own. It's a great program.. and I'm super excited to be able to be able to be a part of it. Looking forward to the next class.


Ok... I was laughing today when I was talking with my friend Becky about ...not talking about "being sicky and other depressing stuff" on my blog. I said ... people wont want to read anymore, if I dont stop talking about being sick and sad things. BUT>>>>>
I have to know
Vicks.. or NOT Vick's ???? lol
Do you like the smell of it? Do you use it? My dad always used Vick's.. maybe that's why I use it ...but I love it. Love the smell of it... and it makes me feel better. Dan hates it, ...hates the smell of it. I actually asked the doctor once , when the boys were little... "does Vick's help"? He kind of smiled at me , and said.. "if it makes you feel better ...use it"....hmmmm... that kind of told me .. he thinks it's a crock. So... I want to know....
Do you like it or not?
(I know... somebody has to save the world with their intelligent questions... might as well be me. lol)




and I had to share this with you.... hey.. atleast my dog has good taste in soda.

Remember if you want your name in on the giveaway...just post HERE
I'll draw on Monday.


24 comments:

Shawn said...

We use a ton of vic's in our house. I must have a wierd husband because he loves the smell of it tee hee. I do think it helps clear you out!

Sophia said...

I personally love it, love the smell, it always makes me feel better. I also like that they now have tissue that comes with vicks in it.

chelemom said...

I love the smell of Vicks! It reminds me of my childhood! Hope you feel better soon! (Sandy said you were not feeling well!)

Micki said...

No on the Vicks, but only because I'm allergic to it. I know, go figure.

Michelle M White said...

Forget the Vick's...I want that milk glass cake plate! LOVE IT!!!

stampqueen said...

Definatly Vicks!! It all may be an illusion but the way my sinuses have been lately - gotta have vicks, opens the nose/sinuses right up - and I like the smell too...reminds me of curling up on the couch with a book and a big blanket.
Tera

Jami said...

Yes Yes Yes to Vicks. I love the smell and because it seems to help me breath when I am all congested. HAHA. I love to breath. As far as my dh not liking it, I really don't know because he has never said. Now my girls will tell me that I smell like amedicine cabinet. So when they are nagging me for something and I want them to stop I will pop a vicks and that sends them in the other direction. Cures more than just a stuffy nose. Another HAHA.

DeniseLynn said...

Oh yea, vicks is what I want when I am all stuffed up and achey. It reminds me of the love and care I got from my mom or grandma when I was little and not feeling well. {Oh yea, I love to be pampered.} Now I try to "pamper" my 5 year old son and he's not as thrilled with the vicks as I am but he tells me he loves the extra snuggles!

So pass me a muffin and I'll put on a pot of coffee and get out the art supplies ....

Catherine said...

I heard that Vic's has turpentine in it and you shouldn't use it on kids because it's not safe! My Mom used to use it, I don't mind the smell of it, but we don't have it here....

The muffins look lovely, I can almost smell them from here....

jules said...

I LOVE vick's. I love the smell, the way it feels on your skin (when your gown sticks to it) and how it makes me feel like I am getting well.
Sorry you are sick. Take care...

janel said...

Oh I love Vicks too...and have many memories of having my mom rub it on my chest, covering it with a wash cloth and then hanging out by the vaporizer with Vicks in it. We also used Ben Gay.
Yummy muffins, great posts, and of course I love those hearts you made...
Feel better soon, and thanks for helping me yesterday!
Yea its Friday!

Judy & Sheri said...

I LOVE Vicks! It's the only thing wonderful about a cold. Hope you get better soon.
Sheri

Country Liv . . . said...

Hey Sicki Vicki! Vick's is the best. We had a lady in our neighborhood who would make you swallow a dollop of it when you had a sore throat and cough! I guess if it didn't kill us it cured us! LOL! But all kidding aside, it works! If you have a bad night-time cough, rub some on the soles of your feet and cover with socks-no coughing -TRUE! If you have a pimple that just won't come to a head-dab a dot of Vick's on it! Feel down and want a hug from the "world?" Put some Vick's on a tissue and keep it close by. Did you know they now make tissues with just the odor of Vick's? TRUE again! So you aren't by yourself. We love it too!

Sure wish I could bite into one of those muffins . . . yummy! And - - - aren't you the one! Wow, doing more volunteer work?! You slay me girl friend. But since I see what you drink, I now understand why you stay in fast gear!

Hope your friend (of the fire) is doing better. I don't know if she's having financial troubles on top of everything else but, if she is, maybe you could hold an online fund raiser for her; you could get PayPal involved.

Well, got to get back to that darn video/online course. Ugh! I'm too old for this stuff!

Hugs,
Liv

Sugar Bear said...

I have some overripe bananas - guess what I'll be making!
Karla

rose said...

oh Vicki
You are just not happy with me spending a fortune on scrap stuff seeing Iam in vintge mode,your trying to add pounds to my waitline too!!!!!!!!!! lol!!
Oh just look at them muffins I can almost taste them oh yummy

becky said...

thanks for posting the muffin recipes! i think i'll make some this weekend :)

no vicks here.

love ya friend....it was great talking yesterday!

Catherine said...

I TAGGED ya... :-)

Natalie said...

The smell of Vic's is like Play-do, it brings be back to my childhood. Mom would put in on my chest before I went to bed.

Hope you start feeling better.

~missprissme said...

I love it but I use a product similar to vicks called menthol camphor from Watkins. I use it and swear by it for everything chapped lips, stiff necks, headaches, sore muscles, colds. You name it I use it. I have big tubs of it all over my house. By my bedside, in the bathrooms... I even have one at work. It really really works. It smells exactly like vicks except it also has camphor in addition to the menthol.

Charmingdesigns said...

I do think its one of those pleasant memories of childhood. My mom is funny, she smears it all over nose and lips and chin and chest...grease monkey!!I think it helps a bit!. Give the dog a drink, poor thing.LOL

Sharon in NE said...

Vicks probably has a placebo effect, but since it makes us feel good, more power to it.
Love your projects!
Love the cranberry raisins. I didn't know they sold them that way!

Eleanor said...

We always had Vicks in the house. My mom used to put it right above my upper lip when my nose was all stuffy. Worked like a charm! Thanks for the recipes! Yum!

MJ said...

I love the smell of Vicks but there's a "not to use on children below 2 years of age" warning on the label. I suspect it has no medicinal effect but it makes me feel productive putting it on!!

Precious Treasures said...

My mom uses Vicks on her feet. She says it makes them soft and also improves circulation in them.