Monday, June 16, 2008

Glimmer Mist canvas tutorial

I'm really trying to confuse you now! lol You mean your not ready for "Warm Winter Wishes"?
I'm working ahead, can you tell. This is a project I worked on today , using Tattered Angels products.
I love how Glimmer Mist looks on Canvas. I thought I show you ..some different things you can do with Glimmer Mist , Glimmer Screens, and Glimmer Chips. Once I got started... I just decided to do a step by step on the entire canvas.. so here goes.


Just to help speed up the drying process, I used my heat gun. for the blue sky at the top, I traded off spritzing "Robin's Egg" and "Twilight". I like to spritz some , then dry, then spritz... ect.. that way I see exactly what the colors are looking like , as I go.

I love how I can get the look of "clouds" by applying more or less to different areas. Another great thing about it is..that if you didn't achieve the color you were working for , you can just spritz over it with more of another color. It's water based so it dries quickly anyway..but with a heat gun.. it dries in a flash. Super easy to keep adding color. You can spritz on one color ,while another color is still wet... if you want to blend. Or...you can dry in between for a different look.
On the bottom half I just added a light spritz of "Olive Vine"... and let it dry.

Instead of laying my "tree" Glimmer Screen down on my canvas and spritzing.. I did it in reverse. I laid it down on a separate piece of paper and spritzed the color on ..then....



turned it ( misted side down) , onto the canvas. ( the photo below , shows it with the screen still still on).





Below is the "watercolor" look you get when you remove the Glimmer Screen.




I just repeated this three times.






until I had this. Then once it was dry...





I added the rubons for the saying and added some stickles to the tips of the tree branches for the look of snow ( and for dimension).






I wanted to add"Glimmer Chips" Corners to the four corners of the canvas... but really wanted them to be silver to match the ribbon I was going to hang it from. I decided to Heat Emboss them with silver embossing powder. I just wanted to catch the high spots on the ( already dry embossed) chipboard pieces with my pigment ink and embossing powder.. so that I could spritz them with Glimmer Mist and have it fill in , in the lower areas.
So .. after head embossing them I spritzed them. Two with Blue, and two with green.


I know it's a bit hard to see..but it's really a pretty effect.


Another plus is that the Chipboard pieces all have a peel of adhesive on the back. Super easy to use, and even held well on the textured canvas.

Once it's all dry.. you can add the ribbon all the way around the outside. ( I used Scrapbook Adhesives double sided tape) and it worked really well.
Then if you anything like me... You will have to dump out every gem and sequin you own to find just the right ones to add to your canvas. ( or maybe it's just me) lol

I learned this trick from my sister.. and it works great. She uses decorative thumb tacks to attach the ribbon she hangs the canvas from. They go right into the wood frame and hold really well. ( I found these, in a mixture of great colors at Target).

I'll probably hang mine on the wall ( not now!.. In the winter, silly) , but here it is on the front door.

This is just one of the trees from the set of three in the pack. I will to doing more soon, because want to try them all. There are also other themes. I'll be sharing more between now and CHA.
There are some screens available now though. You can see them here.
***
Okay..there you go.... Wha La! All done!

21 comments:

Sharon in NE said...

I LOVE THIS!!! Vic this is so gorgeous!! (And your sister's idea with the thumb tacks is wonderful!!)

janel said...

Vickie, You are amazing! That is just too cool. What great techniques. Such a nice Father's Day post, and what a special time to all be together. Love those fun faces!

Jessica said...

Wow, that's gorgeous! I love that watercolor effect.

Beth Leintz said...

That is so COOL! It's like magic- thanks for the tip about the thumb tacks, too.

Shawn said...

So pretty! What a great tutorial! I'm not quite ready for winter though :)

Trisha Ladouceur said...

Looks FABULOUS! Great job, as always:)

Mimi Hornberger said...

OMG! You Rock! TFS! XO, Mimi

Angie said...

That is beautiful vicki, thanks for sharing. I am working on canvases for my dd's and was considering using glimmer mist on them, seeing this has helped alot. Now I know I will be using the glimmer mist.

Kara Ward said...

Okay, maybe with a little help...I could do this. Maybe not...you are amazing. Paint, ink, it all scares me. Kara

Chris said...

wow I love these! I need these screens too!!!!!!!

myfrogprince said...

your canvas turned out beautiful, great tutorial.

antenucci said...

Thanks for sharing, it is gorgeous. THe step by step instructions were really helpful also in how to use the stuff.

Amber said...

That's SO awesome!
~Amber

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

What a lovely watercolor sky!

KimmyS said...

OH
MY
WINTER
WORLD

Another stunning piece - I would have never thought that it was all done with GM....I would have penned you down as an amazing water colour artist!
Brilliant

Heidi Blankenship said...

Your canvas is absolutely beautiful!! Thanks for the great tutorial! These look like they would be a lot of fun to make!

isascrapandstamp said...

beautiful canvas Vicky !

Michelle said...

This is such a great idea! It even looks kind of vintage! Very nice!

Lyrical Stamper said...

Beautiful. You've opened another door of possibilities.

MJ said...

This is gorgeous but... we just have had our first dosage of heat over the last 2 days. I'm not ready for winter yet!

Starla B. said...

Absolutely beautiful. I was looking for tutorials because I wasn't sure Glimmer Mist would work on canvas. I'm really happy to see how well they do work. Thank you for the lovely step-by-step process!!