Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Christmas Ornament

I pop around with seasonal projects lately to the point I'm sure you never know what to expect here. lol It's fall...

and I jump to Christmas. Well, I guess that's better that Valentines Day.. like last week huh. Don't hold your breath to long on that.. I have some Val Day projects I'll be posting again very soon. lol Keeping you on your toes, am I?
Anyway.. just wanted to show you this super quick and easy way to make these Christmas ornaments. Oh.. btw.. did any of you notice in one of my posts last week. ..I wrote "Chrisman" in place of "Christmas" in the title of my post??? hahaha Oh.. trust me ... that's EASY to do. Try writing out about 50 Christmas Cards.... "Merry Christmas from the Chrismans"... it happens alot. ha
_)___
Anyway.. you can get these for less than a 1$ at Micheal's. I spritzed mine with Glimmer Mist first to get the color I wanted for my background. (BE SURE to let it DRY COMPLETELY) before going any further. This is really porous so I only used enough GM to cover.. I didn't over do and get it really saturated so it would take a long time to dry.
After it's dry...

I cut out an image from the Crafty Secrets "Christmas" Image and journal Book.

I use Diamond glaze..but you could use Crystal Lacquer, Mod Podge ect...
I first brushed a layer all across the top of the Glimmer Misted Ornament...then laid down my image and brushed over the entire top. I did a couple of coats ..letting it completely dry in between.
While the final coat was still wet.. I set down the little gems.
After is was completely dry I went back and added a little "Stickles" for highlights.
It was so easy.. I was thinking it would be a great kids project for gifts for Grandparents ect.
I'd probably have them Glimmer Misted ahead and dried .. so you wouldnt have to have them wait for that "drying time". You might loose em. ha
_________________________________________

I was going to take my mom into Omaha to the Eye Doc today, but my sis called and she has the week off , so she said she wanted to do it, so she could take mom to lunch and get to spend a little time with her. Afterwards she'll ( my sis) come here, and we'll go over our class stuff for the Albion classes .. so that we are all ready for that big weekend.
***
The kids were here last night,we had enchiladas for dinner, and we all watched a movie. I don't know how I've been so lucky having them come home so much lately..but I'll just be thankful. ( happy face)

Hope you are all having a Fantastic Day!

25 comments:

Sharon in NE said...

Love that ornament!! When my family gets together (3 sister-in-laws, 3 adult nieces, my daughter and myself) we have always (for the past 20 years!) made Christmas ornaments right after the Thanksgiving festivities. They're here for several days, so we have lots of time for shopping and crafting. The ornament you posted would be perfect to do this year! Thanks!!

MizSmoochieLips said...

That's beautiful! I'm starting to catch the Christmas bug!

cassie said...

Very pretty, I'm loving your blog! I'm fighting the Christmas bug for sure. I just know I'm going to slip up any minute and "accidentally" hit play on Bing Crosby's "White Christmas"! Then I will be hooked!

Terri Conrad said...

Vicki

this ornament is soooooooo pretty. Love it, and I love using stickles on all my Christmas goodies. Is the ornament a die cut? Who from?
Always a pleasure to see what you're creating!

rose said...

oh super project and the image works so well, I might have to buy to clay and play!!
oh have fun with the family

cindy said...

Love this! Clever girl! : D

c

harrahx2 said...

Kids will always come home for good food! Great idea for the ornaments. I have some glimmer mist and I think I will try this one out. It seems like something I might be able to do! Greqat job.

KellyMB said...

Beautiful ornaments! Now I need to make a Hobby Lobby run!

Amber said...

Oh Vicki- that is stunning! I really want to get that Crafty Secrets image book, it looks so useful! Thanks for posting instructions for this project!
~Amber

Michelle said...

I love that ornament project!! Very pretty!

Shawn said...

Those are adorable!!! What a great idea!

AliGripp said...

What a beautiful simple ornament to make! You are such a talent! You just inspired me to use glimmer mist on a swap that I am hosting and did not even think to use glimmer mist until now. Take care!

Precious Treasures said...

You can turn anything into something beautiful!

TattingChic said...

That ornament is beautiful! Wow, you must have the most amazing home and come holiday times you must have THE home to go visit because of all of your beautiful homemade lovelies!

Elaine said...

What a gorgeous little keepsake ornament, Vicki! I want to get some of those CS images to make my own!

Charmingdesigns said...

Your ornament is just gorgeous!!!

janel said...

Oh I feel like I have struck gold. I have those ornaments from last year, I have glimmer, and some CS images....You are SO creative. That is just too fun. I had NO idea that glimmer would stick to that surface. Yea for you!!!
Love that you got to have your favorite food with your favorite boys....I will be thinking about your mom and hoping her appt. goes well.

Scrapthat said...

Beautiful Job Vickie!! Love your Christmas oranament!!

Catherine said...

Love this, hope you're having a great day!! xox.

Carla said...

This is just beautiful!! I think I'm going to try and make some of these!!

Kara Ward said...

I just cleaned out the Christmas container yesterday...it makes me want to create a little something. I (heart) the ornament. I am locking myself out of Hobby Lobby until this storage room is clean. My husband has permission to beat me if I bring one more thing home. Even, if it is 80% off. I just can't walk through the door. I need to find some of that yummy glitter mist. I just can't find anywhere here that carries it. Maybe when I am in Omaha. take care-Kara

stampqueen said...

Great Christmas ornament!!!! I may need to hit Micheals soon...as if I don't have enough projects swimmin in my head these days.....

bnovacek said...

that ornament is sooo pretty! and having seen your projects IRL, i know it's probably even more stunning in person!

chelemom said...

I love this!!! Christmas isn't very far away either.....*sigh*

Carol said...

Nice Christmas ornament!