Monday, October 13, 2008

Glimmer MIst/Christmas project

Brrrr.... it's CHILLY here this morning!! Not to mention gloomy, rainy and dark.. so that explains the poor photos of this project.
I don't know if you've ever tried Glimmer Mist on Paper Mache..but if you haven't, you'll be amazed. It takes to it so well, and the shimmer is just beautiful.
I found these round paper mache containers at Micheal's a while back, and couldn't wait to give them a try. I've used Glimmer Mist on paper mache a number of times and love the effect, but I was intrigued with the raised embossed looking design on this paper mache piece.. and was excited to see the effect of the Glimmer Mist on this. I used "Hollyberry" GM to cover and then spritzed on , then wiped over lightly with "Coffee". I after it was all dry, I rubbed over the raised parts with a bit of Metallic rub from (Craft-T).
I thought these containers would be great to give baked goodies at Christmas. ( now .. lets hope I have "time" for baking this year.) ha
I had made these paper/wire/stitched poinsettia type flowers for a project for Scrapbook Answers Mag a few years ago.. and decided to make one for the top of this projects.

Basically, I make them by cutting a front and back to each petal, stitching around the outside edge..just leaving a small opening (not letting the stitching come together) at the bottom of the petal. I inked the edges and then cut a approx 6 inch piece of wire, and ran one end through the opening in the bottom in the petal.. between the two pieces. .. and run it all the way up to the opposite tip of the petal. Running that wire in , just enables you to bed and form the petals as you from the flower.
I did a number of those... some larger and some smaller, in varied patterned papers.
Then to assemble the flower, I started by running the wire through the button for the center.. and then adding the petals one by one, wrapping those wires around the wire that the button is on.
Actually, it's pretty easy to move around and form into shape.
The tag was done using an image from the Crafty Secrets "Christmas" Image and Journal book , Glimmer Mist, and a little stitching.
I spritzed over everything with "Iridescent Gold" Glimmer Mist.

*** Tattered Angels has a new WEBSITE and BLOG
****************************************************************
This is a photo of the garland I made a few years ago for Scrapbook Answers Mag. This flower was made of paper and fabric. This flower was made in the same way as I explained above.


Here it is in full, used in the ad in the mag.


*************************************************************
Okay... my tootsies are freezing... off to get my slippers!!!! Brrrr
HAPPY MONDAY FRIENDS!!!

26 comments:

TattingChic said...

OMGosh! EVERY single post you have is absolute eye candy!!!

Sharon in NE said...

Vicki, I'm so proud of you. Your work being used on advertising! That's got to be the greatest compliment to your work!

And now regarding the paper mache boxes with the pointsettia on top. I've decided I must come swipe that. Please make sure you leave it out in the open as I hate to snoop. Thanks. Or, you can send them to me, WITHOUT the baked goodies. HA! That is a win-win situation. You don't have to bake goodies to give to someone in those containers, and I don't have to break into your home to steal them. ;)

Jessica said...

Your flowers are STUNNING! I love the addition of the sheet music petals.

harrahx2 said...

OMG! What can I say. The pointsetta flower is amazing and looks so beautiful and the flowers ont he boxes are amazing. You have such a creative way. I am so jealous! Send me some creativity. Oh yeah, and some time to do it all. How do you find the time!

Snuppeline said...

Wow, this is so amazing! The pointsettia is fantastic, I love the way you used different papers like the music sheet on it. The boxes are gorgeous. I hope you have the time to fill them with lots of cakes this Christmas!

Vicki said...

OMG, Vicki! This stacked box set is stunning! You amaze me with your creativity. The GM was perfect for this project. I love the flower too.

Shawn said...

What a bunch of cute boxes!!! I love using it on paper mache too. Fun stuff :)

Charmingdesigns said...

Isn't tattingchic the funniest thing ever!! lol. Laurie

Angela said...

I love how you did those flowers...how stinkin' creative! Thanks for sharing your technique.

Viv (VivLyn) said...

Your flower is lovely!

stampqueen said...

Aaaack - another thing I have to try !!!! Both the flowers (awsome!!!) and the boxes!!!

Michelle said...

Very pretty! I love those paper flower and that Glitter mist is amazing!

Country Liv . . . said...

I don't have but a few seconds but I just had to tell you how much I love the paper mache boxes. They look like they would be offered for sale at Macy's or Sak's for at least $50 if not more. Absolutely stunning! I still haven't figured out (after all this time) how you get so much done is such a short amount of time.
Hugs and Kisses (thanks for keeping us in your prayers)
Liv
PS: Did you realize that we 'met' a year ago this month?! I remember because you had the kit at Scrappy Gourmet and Jill told me to visit your blog to find out more about GM!
PPS: I think the mache boxes would be a nice 'anniversary' gift! LOL!

rose said...

oh these paper mache box and flowers are just beautiful,yes that GM works fab on this and the flowers and colors oh just love it
love the advert with the swag very pretty!

Micki said...

Fabulous work Vicki!

Mary Anne in NJ said...

Can you say AWESOME!!!!!

harrahx2 said...

Okay, I keep looking at that poinsetta and I have decided you must just make me one!

Catherine said...

I love that garland...and it looks awesome in that magazine - too bad they stopped publishing! I also love your stacked boxes, amazing my friend!

Marisa said...

Ok Vicki, the paper mache boxes and the flowers are just out of this world. You are one creative lady. And you say you are at a creative lull. I wonder what you come up with when you are inspired. Must be something abosolutely extra-ordinary and fantastic. That for all the inspiration you give us.

Marisa

Toni K said...

Simply Gorgeous!!!

Scrap for Joy said...

All of your projects are beautiful but you keep topping yourself! The boxes look like leather and the flower is amazing!!!

Kara Ward said...

Okay, this is beyond cool. Congrats on the article and what a fabulous idea. I love flowers and this fabric one has me screaming for more. It would make a great corsage for Bella prom. wink, wink...I still have no dress. Kara

Patricia St Martin said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hayley G said...

very very cool. Love your stuff. You have also reminded me that I miss that magazine. I wish it hadn't gone out of publication.

cheers,
Hayley

Paben said...

These boxes turned out beautifully!I will have to take time to return your heat gun you forgot,just to see them in person!Glad you are using some of that lace,it's already been hoarded too,long by me!

Linda Beeson said...

The flowers are just gorgeous! So fitting for your wonderful projects.