Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Glimmer Mist Tag tutorial

Every time I play with Glimmer Mist, I find more and more that can be done with it. This technique is something I've mentioned on my blog before..but I thought I'd show you a simple tag I made using the negative and positive of images. Basically , you are using them as a stencil, then as a stamp. The great thing about this (other than the great effects you can achieve), is that use all your Glimmer Mist... no waste!
Here's one finished tag.. and below the steps

I first sprayed the color background I wanted. I dabbed this lightly with a paper towel.. just to speed up my drying time. ( I could have just used my heat gun...but you know me .. always taking short cuts.) lol
After it's somewhat dry, I just used any found object. ( in this case some leaves). You'll be surprised just looking around your craft room , at the things you can use to make unique patterns. (esp. things like silk flowers ect.. .it's a great way to use them for a pattern and color them at the same time). I just placed them randomly on the tag.
** note** I mentioned above that my tag was "somewhat" dry. You will get a different effect, depending on how dry your tag is. If it's still alittle damp when you add your next color..you will get a more watercolored look , as the colors blend together some. The dryer you tag is.. the crisper the image with be. I like both looks , so it just depends on what I'm working on. Since this tag with have a detailed stamped image on it, I think a more watercolor ( less defined) pattern underneath might be better. .. as not to get to busy.

I just spritzed over them with the next color. Remove your objects. ( again.. I did dab over it with a papertowel) I always give the color a chance to soak in first, before dabbing, as not to lift so much of the color off right away. The benefit of using your heat gun is you don't lift any color off.. so the color stays more intense.. it just soaks into the paper as it's drying.


Here's the fun part.....
grab another tag... flip your objects over, onto the tag, and use them as a stamp. There is plenty of Glimmer Mist on the leaf.. for me to just press it down on the tag to make the image leave a print. See no waste.


So below you can see how you have the negative and the positive of the pattern.

Once you start looking around for things with patterns and giving them a try... you'll be addicted.
btw.. I only used two colors of Glimmer Mist on this ..Mustard seed and English Ivy.

Hope you're inspired to give it a try.
_________________________________________________

Thankyou for the Birthday wishes for my mom. We had a nice time with her. Jarad and Kate ended up coming for dinner also. I think mom enjoyed her day. She said she had calls from all the kids and that Lori , Kiley and Griff had taken her to lunch. I think she felt loved!


Have a wonderful Day Everyone!

17 comments:

Dealbaida said...

Belated Happy Birthday Wishes Vicki's Mum and "Thank You" for giving us such a talented, inspirational and thoroughly "nice" blogging friend.

Have a wonderful year!

Marion
UK

Paben said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paben said...

Sorry I don't know what is up with this blog lately always messing up!

Any way I said I love how those tags turned out and love those colors together!

Bev said...

Girl - this tag is great!! Glimmer mist is one thing I don't have (ha ha!!). Joyce has it and says hers drips. I wasn't too thrilled about that! How is yours?
Thanks for sharing!!

Happy B-Day to Mum too!!

Bonnie (eggette) said...

Love those tags! Wonderful job explaining that technique!

Creative Mish said...

I looks like she had a fabulous birthday! I love the glimmer mist tutorial. I spritz mine but haven't thought about masking some shapes. Love it! OH! and I love your previous holiday pictures!!

Charmingdesigns said...

Love the idea of the leaves!!! Laurie

janel said...

You work the magic my friend! LOVE this. What a doll your mom is. She looks fabulous, and so happy she had a special day! Happy happy New Year to you! Love the flower on that yummy looking cake!
hugs

~Sasha Farina~ said...

that is just awesome! the tags you did... just gorgeous!! I'm slowly building my collection of glimmer mists.. :) Happy new Year, my dear talented friend, V!! and Happy Belated Birthday to your mom!

ps : an award for you at my blog :)

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

You sure got me sold on Glimmer Mist, I love the stuff. This is a good trick to try with it too. I've done something similar with lace also.

Jane Wetzel said...

Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial--I LOVE,LOVE, LOVE this! I just bought my first bottle of glimmer mist and now I am gonna do this!! So happy I have found your blog! tfs!!!! Jane

Country Liv . . . said...

Happy New Year to you all! Here's hoping 2009 will be bountiful and happy for you, Dan and the rest of your huge clan!
Love,
Liv

Country Liv . . . said...

Oh! Sorry, forgot to post my entire thought (you know how thoughts get lost in this empty head of mine!).
The positive and negative tags are so pretty - - - can't wait to see what you come up with in the coming year!
Hugs,
Liv

chelemom said...

Thanks for the awesome tutorial!!! Happy New Year!

harrahx2 said...

Vicki, that was a nice clear tutorial! I have glimmer mist and haven't used it for a long time. I guess I should pull it out! Love both ideas and thanks for sharing. Glad your mom had a good day. Hope all is well and a Special Happy New Year!

Amber T said...

That is an awesome tutorial with the glimmer mist and tags- thanks for posting that. Have a great New Year Vicki!
~Amber T.

Anonymous said...

So glad I just found this wonderful turorial. My LSS is just waiting for their first shipment of Glimmer Mist - should be in this week and now I will be able to play too! Robin