Thursday, March 05, 2009

Love me some World Win Cardstock

So many fun things going on this month! I addition to being a Guest Designer over at Scrapbookers Clubhouse this month... I'm thrilled to also be
Guest Designer for World Win Cardstock. I know! lol.. I told you it was going to be a fun month for me. lol Their cardstock is the very best! I love it for stamping also.
This is the first of the projects I did this month for WW. It's is simple but fun little card make using all cardstock. You can see it here on their blog .. along with step by step photos and direction.

***************************************************
Last night I made some bread pudding... and the house smells SO good. Oh yeah.. the bread pudding tastes good too! lol I just cant get over how good it makes the house smell.
I'd be curious to hear how many of you know of, or have made or had , bread pudding. It's something I grew up with, but I know a number of people who look at me like I'm crazy when it's been mentioned. ( not that I go around talking about it , or that I eat it everyday, or anything) lol It just got me wondering where it originated. The title would certainly not be the draw to get someone who has never had it before.. .to try it. haha... "Bread Pudding". No wonder people who have never had it , make a face when you say it.
When I talked to my mom about it, she said during the depression her mom made it often , as a desert. Makes sense. It's make with things you usually always have in the house.. and why not use up bread that is going to get old. I don't always have raisins in the house...but really I think it's just as good without them.

Anyway... after looking it up online, here's what I found..........

********************************

Bread pudding has the most plebeian of origins, but it now shows up on the dessert menus of upscale restaurants.
Food historians trace the history of bread pudding to the early 11th and 12th centuries, as frugal cooks looked for ways to use stale, leftover bread instead of letting it go to waste. In 13th century England, bread pudding was known as “poor man’s pudding,” as it was a popular dish with the lower classes.
While bread pudding is still a way to use up leftover bread, it has gained a reputation as a comfort food and is a featured dessert item in trendy establishments, having shed its humble roots.
Basically, the dish is made by layering bits of bread and any add-ins in a dish and pouring a custard sauce over before baking. The possibilities for the dish are endless, because cooks can vary the type of bread and any ingredients they choose to add. autor: Joanne McFadden

______________________________________________

I never use a recipe.. I've done it enough... I just dump an pour... and I even cook mine in the microwave sometimes when it's just for us and I'm in a hurry. It works great.
Anyway.. I did find a recipe that is very similar to the way I make it.

Bread Pudding
Ingredients:
2 cups whole milk (or 2 cups half & half)

1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar (white or brown, depending on taste preference)
3 eggs
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups bread, torn into small pieces (french bread works best)1/2 cup raisins (optional)
---------------------------------------
Directions:
1. In medium saucepan, over medium heat, heat milk (or half & half) just until film forms over top. Combine butter and milk, stirring until butter is melted. Cool to lukewarm.
2. Combine sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 1 minute. Slowly add milk mixture.
3. Place bread in a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
4. Sprinkle with raisins if desired. Pour batter on top of bread.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes or until set. Serve warm.

_________________________________________

Have a super day friends!

17 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so glad to see that someone else knows all about bread pudding!! It is one of my favorites...especially for breakfast...or dessert with a Jack Daniels sauce! Yum,yum!!

Cathy said...

Yum! It's one of my favorites...reminds me of my childhood and my Grandma! Thanks for sharing!!!

Deb S. said...

oh yummaye!! i love bread pudding! reminds me of my gram...thanks for sharing the info and the recipe!

Charlene said...

YUM! Thank you for the receipe! I love bread pudding but, have never made it at home. There is a place we love to eat at in Dallas that puts choclate chunks in theirs. So when you bite into that yummy cinnamony gooey goodness your mouth is touched by chocolate too. Hmmm which is better on top vanilla sauce or whisky/burbon sauce? Smiles! Oh, & thanks for doing the homework for us. Didn't know it was THAT OLD! Hugs

Viv (VivLyn) said...

Ha, I was always one of those that made faces when the mention of bread pudding arose. The same for rice pudding. I really don't remember my mother ever making it but a friend of hers did and I did try and loved it. It had a wonderful vanilla sauce over it. Sarah's sauce (Jack Daniels) sounds pretty yummy! I will not eat it if it has raisins! Yuck! I still have never had the nerve to try rice pudding! Weird, I know.

harrahx2 said...

Vickie, your blog always, and I mean always, makes me feel at home and comfortable, like I just dropped in from next door (don't I wish) and sat down with you. Thank you so very much for so many wonderful smiles. It never stops makind me grin!

Creative Mish said...

Bread pudding is my favorite!! There is a little Basque restaurant in town that makes her own. She cuts up just a tiny but of granny smith apples and puts in hers and she makes the most fabulous caramel sauce to drizzle over it!

Emma's Paper Patch said...

i have had bread pudding before, but i have never made it. i'll have to try your recipe. your shadowbox class looks too cute! i would love to come but since i will be in lincoln/omaha in a week and a half...i don't think it would be a good idea to go twice in one month. too much money i would spend! have fun!

Rainy said...

I had heard of it for years, also through my Mom as an depression era thing. My manager makes it wonderfully and I love it. Yours looks wonderful, and the dish is yummy too!

janel said...

YUM!
Bread pudding is a favorite of mine, and I have told my dh that my "last meal" needs to be bread pudding. I am making it Sunday to take to book club....we read M. Angelo's Hallelujah: The Welcome Table, and we are having a "feast". Her recipe is similar to yours.
Love this post...and congrats for being guest designer for WW.

happiness blooms said...

oooo' I LOVE bread pudding! The best one I ever made was a white chocolate bread pudding that absolutely melted in your mouth. I got the recipe from a chef in New Orleans. Sure wish I hadn't lost it (the recipe) along the way.
dang Vic, now I'm hungry!

Elaine said...

Now I'm craving bread pudding and it's 12:47 AM....wah!! I had never had it until I moved out and got married...my mom NEVER made it until I brought some to their house and she fell in love with it (mostly because we served it with cream poured over the top)....it's divine and I hope you had lots and lots and feel warm inside now! :)
The birdcage card is sweet -- kinda like bread pudding!

Shawn said...

cute lo! I love bread pudding it is so yummy!

Ali said...

YUM! My "retired home-economics teacher Mom" actually had to give me a bread pudding recipe to post over on SBCH for one of the gals (Mary)! That was awhile back. She makes hers similar to the way you do! Dad loves it too.

That little card is SWEET Vicki- Love it. TYFS! And--> I love reading and looking at your blog. :O)

Carla said...

I ADORE bread pudding! My pants might be a size smaller if I didn't!

Country Liv . . . said...

yummmmm . . . I've always liked it because it reminds me of rice pudding (another poor man's dessert). Yours looks delich!
L
PS: Love the card too!

Staci said...

I love Bread Pudding!! Have you ever tried the one at Famous Dave's in Omaha? Love it!! Love looking at your latest projects. Have visited for awhile...life just seems to get in the way sometimes.