Monday, July 06, 2009

Crafty Secrets DT Challenge tutorials

Today is going to be a fun day! The Crafty Secrets DT girls are all posting tutorials today. So you are going to want to check them all out... I'm off to do just that as soon as I finish this post. . I have all their blogs linked at the bottom of this post.

**************

My tutorial is a step by step on how to make a standing shadow box ..using an old photo holder. I'll also be sharing some tips, and favorite products .. that help me when I'm creating.
Here's my project

.



I started with a old photo holder. Lots of us have some of these.. but if not.. they are easy enough to pick up . Estate sales, antique stores... ect..

The whole point is to give it depth, so it has a shadow box effect.... so you'll need some sort of "shallow" box. I used the one shown below and just cut the lid off..but anything similar will work. ( a rice-a-roni box works perfect too.)lol
The images I used are from the Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage,

"Little Dolls" Image and Journal book. There are lots to choose from in the book ..but these are the pieces I used for this project.


The photo holder I used , is a tri-fold style..but really any style will work.. just adapt your design.


Pretty simple actually. First.. start by removing the top frame from the photo holder.
Your flat box will be adhered inside.




And then your frame adhered on top of that. Giving you the depth like a shadow box.

That is basically how it goes together...but it's easiest to work on your shadow box (inside) before you actually assemble and adhere it all together.



When you do adhere the frame and box pieces together... I've found this adhesive works great.

I use a tracing wheel to create a faux stitching effect , around the edges of each paper layer.

and.. I love using this pen for edging and highlighting.
( it's a startdust jellyroller from SAKARA)

To get as much dimension as possible, I add foam square between each of the layers , as I assemble.

These work great. I love that they come in smaller sizes also.

And this double sided tape works SO well for ribbons and trims.


After I've added my papers, image, embellishments .. and adhered it all together. I folded the two sides back and attached them with the tab and slot already on them.

It folds together in to a triangle shape.

Wha La! Easy !
There there a number of different images you can use from the "Little Dolls" book. You can check it out HERE. Along with all the Crafty Secrets papers I used HERE.



Hope you get a chance to give it a try!
Now.. be sure to check out what the other Design Team girls have posted for there tutorials today. These talented girls will have something great to share.. I have no doubt!
________________________
OTHER TUTORIALS posted today
also be sure to visit the
and
Crafty Secrets Website.

Happy Monday my friends!



33 comments:

chelemom said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!!! I actually have one of those frames and didn't know what to do with it.....now I do! I am going to give this a try!

Debbie Kaste said...

Oh my gosh, Vicki. This is an incredible post! I LOVE IT! I am going to hunt every garage sale in town to look for some of those frames to play with. Thanks so much for the inspiration and the detailed directions. You rock, girl!!!

Susan said...

This is so, so adorable!! I love it! I just wish I could find some of these old frames...
Susan

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

cool tutorial! Wish my in-laws still had the antique store. I'm sure there were some of these in there.

Heidi Blankenship said...

Vicki, this is Gorgeous!!! What a fantastic idea! I'm sure I have some of those frames around here. I am going to have to give this a try! Fantastic Tutorial! Love all the embellishments too!

rose said...

oh this is just devine and I love it ,oh yes beacon 3 in 1 cannot live without this stuff!!
you never fail to amaze me,now to catch up on other posts I have missed [been havin blogger issues]

Julie Campbell said...

Oh, man, Vicki--that's gorgeous!!! I've never tried something like this & I can't wait to do it! I've got probably 20 of those old frames from old family photos--perfect!!! Thanks for all the inspiring things you share! Love your blog!

Viv (VivLyn) said...

Beautiful tutorial, Vicki! I've seen those frames and might just have one!

Mary Anne in NJ said...

Another AWESOME project!!!! Luckily, I have some of those frames...but never would have thought to do that with it!! LOVE IT...Thanks for being so generous and sharing all your great ideas!

The Rambling Papercrafter said...

What a great project. I think I have some of these around. I will definitely be looking for them.

Pattyjo said...

This is a great tutorial!

DeniseLynn said...

Sheer Genious!! Vicki you rock. this is such a fab idea and executed perfectly too. Love it!!

Sarah said...

You get an A+ for creativity. This is a wonderful to use those old folders.

SweetMissDaisy (Anna Wight) said...

SOOOOO Wonderful!! And creative, too!!

lotsa scrap said...

Absolutely precious! I'm going to give this a try.

Marisa said...

Wow Vicki, love your tutorial. You always come up with the neatest ideas.

Pam said...

This is SO cute Vicki, I love all of your shadow boxes and frames you alter, great tutorial!!

LindaDuke said...

Ms Vicki.... This is GORGEOUS!!! I love it, and want to give this a try. Your work is alway eye candy, and I can't ever get enough. Talent, talent, talent....

Bev said...

This is totally BEAUTIFUL!! (as always!) I actually bought some of these photo frames planning to use them CASEing one of your other projects but never got the time. (surprising!LOL!!) I even took my box kit I bought from you and put the box together on vacation! I am so excited to get started on the other....looks like I'll have to go away again this weekend!!

Thanks for sharing...have a great week! Huggs!

Ellen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ellen said...

This is Gorgeous !! Thanks for the tutorial now I have to find those lovely frames ;-))

Karen said...

What a great idea! I think I have some of these at home that I keep tossing around with the "what will I ever do with these" comment each time! Thanks for the tutorial...

KAT said...

I am floored - I would have never thought to use an old paper photo holder and turn it into a work of art! LOVE IT!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

OH,wow, that is one I will definately use! I have a bunch of those folders, I can't wait to try this.

Thanks!!

Country Liv . . . said...

Awe, Vic! This is so adorable! You think of the most creative ways to use 'stuff!' I checked out Melissa Phillips tut and it looks like something you would definitely do too! Hope you have a wonderful week-I'll be back by when I can.
Hugs,
Liv

Creative Mish said...

What an adorable shadow box! i love it!

harrahx2 said...

Wow, this is so beautiful. I don't know where you shop but you sure don't find those things around here!

cindy said...

Absolutely wonderful! I love it!

-c
yapping cat

TattingChic said...

That is absolutely darling! I love the colors and the beads! It's so very pretty! Thanks for sharing! :)

Precious Treasures said...

love it!

Louise (KardKrazy) said...

Holy Crow....this is just stunning!
You are so good at putting things together...thanks for sharing:)

Paben said...

This is so cute!Thanks for sharing you so awesome talent with us miss Vicki!

DaniseTX said...

Fabulous! I just love this one!