Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Quick and Easy Cards in a CD box

If your anything like me ... you've got a huge box of paper scraps that you continue to ignore... and most often reach in and grab a new sheet that's calling your name. Well... every once in a while I'm making my self pull out that scrap box because there are lots of papers in there that I still really love. Making cards like these are a perfect way for me to use them up.... so here's my challenge to you..... Pull them out and use them making some gorgeous cards. Cards really only take a tiny bit of patterned paper, so it's a perfect way to put those scraps to good use.
For these cards I used images out of the "Christmas Image and Journal Books" from Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage.... But as you can see below..there are lots of different themes to choose from.
I found this CD box at the $store and altered the box and created these cards to go in it , using up scraps of papers and ribbons, along with using up so of those random chipboard pieces and older embellishments we all have. (right?) lol


Below are all of the Image and Journal Notes Booklets


You should be able to click on all the photos to see them larger.Below is the $1 store CD box I altered to hold the cards I made.


All of the card designs are simple and quick to do...but with these gorgeous images you don't need much..they make such a statement.. it does the work for you.


I love to mat the images and attach them to my card design with foam squares from Scrapbook Adhesives from 3L. The extra lift gives them so much dimension.

It felt good to use up some of these papers that have been in my "scrap bin" for SO long! (hate to admit it..but I still have TONS more to be using up!)

Another thing I don't utilize enough is my punches.

In all of these Image books ..each page has an image at the top and then a journaling piece at the bottom. You can use these separately or together. On a layout.. I love using them together and having the lines for my journaling...but on cards I use that piece a number of different ways. On the card below I Incorporated it into my card design by layering it behind the image.

On the Santa card below I cut the journal piece diagonally from corner to corner and added it behind my image. I then matted my image and adhered it with foam squares.


I also use the journal pieces inside the cards , like in the photo below, for a place to write. You could easily incorporate stamps into this also.


It really did feel good to use up some odds and ends.. and create something fun with them. Okay.. kids..that's your challenge for the week. Dig out that that messy box of scrap paper, the bag of odds and ends ribbons, and jar of old embellishments. lol CREATE!
_____________________________________________
I'm heading out for Oklahoma tomorrow morning and will be gone until Sunday.. SO.. I'll be back to chat again .. (and share photos) come Monday.
Until then... it's up to you to hold down the fort again.
No wild parties! lol



18 comments:

Tam, I am said...

What part of Oklahoma? You are heading into my neck of the woods!

Your cards are beautiful, as always!

Trish D said...

What a great project - and a wonderful way to use up scraps (plus, who can't use a few extra Christmas cards?!)

Jessica said...

Beautiful cards, Vicki! You can't go wrong with pretty paper and CS images. I love the idea to use the journaling part inside the card.

Julie Campbell said...

What a great idea! Love using the journaling part for the inside of the card--I always end up with extras of those! Beautiful cards!

harrahx2 said...

I really don't think you should leave me alone. I am unstable when left alone too long! Enjoy your trip.

Elaine said...

Everything you touch turns cute or pretty! I want that magic power too! LOL Have a great trip! I'll be playing with my scraps to see if I can make something!!

becky said...

i'm missing you...i had to come here and get my vicki fix!

Debbie K. said...

Ohhhhhh Ms. Vicki, these cards are fabulous. Love 'em!

Dealbaida said...

I haven't crafted for several weeks and coming back is even better when there are your beautiful and inspirational pages to catch up on.

As always, a fabulous collection.

Enjoy your weekend!
Marion, UK

Pattyjo said...

Lucky Oklahoma! Teach classes in Washington next. LOL

Gail S. said...

What beautiful cards! I love how you altered the box also. Beautiful.

Bev said...

Hope you have a safe and fun trip! Partied tonight, so no worries! Love that box and cards...great way to use those scraps!

Melvin said...

Everything is cute and pretty....
Thanks for sharing...
__________________
Melvin
Get easy cash at your door step

Kara Ward said...

Oh, I love those little clipart books. I buy them wherever I can find them. Fabulous Creations! Have fun in O-K-L-A-HOMA....Kara

DeniseLynn said...

Hey Vicki, fabulous cards. I've been using up some of my scraps lately too and I love how you put yours to use on some cards that will all go in a GREAT box to boot. Great Challenge - I think I'll take you up on it (as soon as I find some spare time to play).

Pearl Maple said...

Well done, these cards are gorgeous. As you say, cards are a great excuse to use up your scraps of pretty printed papers. Must start cracking on my christmas cards before the season gets upon us.

Have a great time on your trip.

Charlene said...

Girl you have just soooooooooo many cute ideas. Making that many cards... wow the thought is so foreign. I MUST MAKE TIME to create soon. I have been chasing my tail & all I've done is buy stuff & dump it on my worktable. Have a great weekend.

Elly said...

Ha, ha, here another girl with (way too many!) scraps! So don't be ashamed! This is a great idea. I've a nice box too, and maybe I also will transform it into a cardbox. Your cards look so very lovely!