Monday, September 28, 2009

There's a chill in the air

Fall has defiantly arrived in Nebraska. brrr I'm not in the mood to be cold..but I am in the mood for fall. I love the colors and smells of fall. I made pumpkin muffins today so the house smells gooood!
I have been adding to what fall decor I do have out with projects like this paper mache pumpkin I got the other day at Micheal's. Glimmer Mist just takes to paper mache stuff so well.. it always call to me when I see it.
I tried something different this time. After spritzing it with Harvest Orange Glimmer Mist, I let it dry and then brushed on some crackle coat. Once that was dry, I sprayed on "Brick" Glimmer Mist and let it settle into the cracks before taking a paper towel and wiping some away. It's a subtle effect but really pretty cool.


Someone had mentioned that you could emboss your papers using Spellbinders Wizard and Tattered Angels Glimmer Screens.. so I gave it a try over the weekend. All I can say is WOW! Does it ever! I have about 5 other projects to share with you soon showing how this works. I was so impressed!

I used one of the screens to emboss this piece of paper I had misted, and then just cut these leave shapes out by hand ( um.. .simply because I don't have a leaf die) lol But you get the idea .. pretty cool huh?
After it was embossed, I ran my ink pad lightly over the raised design that was left. Then I took my quickie glue pen and Martha Stewart Glitter to highlight around the design edges.

It's always fun to try out different techniques and mediums just to see how they work together .
________
Today was the perfect "chilly" day to get the oven going and make my favorite pumpkin muffins.

The are really EASY, really moist and freeze really well. It's an OLD recipe. It actually says to bake them into loaves in 3 coffee cans. Isn't that funny? Well, I didn't ever do that , but I have made them in loaf pans ,( but mostly as muffins). I share this recipe on my blog every fall because it's just so good. It's not fall without them.

Pumpkin Bread ( or muffins)

3 cups sugar ( I used a bit less)

1 cup oil

4 eggs

2 (15 oz cans) of pumpkin

2/3 cup water

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp cinn

1 tsp nutmeg

3 1/2 cups flour

2 tsp baking soda


Combine all and mix with electric mixer until well blended.

Pour into greased pans bake at 350 ( 60min approx for loaves) for muffins much less.. just until tops are firm.

** I wrap them individually and freeze them in ziplocks so I can take them out as needed.
_________________
Other than baking , working , laundry ect.. . the dogs and I played outside for a little bit , this afternoon. Molly's favorite game .. .frizbee of course.
Aly.... she likes the old "hide the empty toilet paper roll under the table" routine. funny dog. lol ( she's getting sooo grey) I love this dog SO much!
Iput out a little bit more fall decor I found the other day.. like this cute little sign .

And this little cutie.


When I was in Achievers at Mall of America.. I saw some cute real pumpkins decorated with black bling and thought ... I'm going to do that when I get home.
whaaa la....
not to hard .. and kinda fun huh?

Not planning much for tomorrow as I have a icky trip to the dentist first thing in the morning. (dread).
But I'll be back with more to share on Wen.
Have a start start to your week!

10 comments:

Linda B said...

LOVE your glimmered pumpkin! And the idea with the glimmer screens. I have some so I'll have to give it a try:D

janel said...

I wish I was closer and I would run over to your house just to see and taste all this wonderful autumn goodness. Wonderful!
Good luck in the morning..take your ipod and maybe that will help.
hugs

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

Yep it's definitely fall AND cold! BRRRR! But I don't mind the cold. Spent all day in Kearney yesterday at a x-country meet in the WIND! Ü

I have that same pumpkin bread recipe! It is sooooo yummy! One thing I do is use 1/2 the oil and replace the other half with applesauce. Still very moist and yummy.

Debbie Kaste said...

Ms. Vicki, your website is sooooo much fun to visit. Love your cute projects, your dogs and thanks for the yummy recipe! Good luck with the dentist. Been there, done that..Hang in there, girl!

stampqueen said...

Love the pumpkins!!! Its probably a good thing I am not going shopping today as planned (yukky sick all night ) I would have had to do both the pumpkins!!!
We are cooler here today too - it was 61 this am - my pooch was sooo ready for a walk - I went back to bed after seeing the kiddos off to school.....couldn't sleep so I guess I will get in some blog surfin time.....

harrahx2 said...

Vicki, I love the bling pumpkin and I am going to have to find the bling to do that! Where did you find black swirly bling? So dang cute. The paper mache pumpkin? Adorable. Everything you do is adorable....waaahhhhh, I want you to be my neighbor and I really think you should come for a visit!

Gail S. said...

Your pumpkin is sooooo cool!! I would love to have a couple of those sitting in my dining room! Thank you for the pumpkin recipe - sounds yummy!

Julie said...

Where do you come up with all these ideas? You amaze me! Wish I lived nearby--I need some serious Glimmer Mist teaching! I love the stuff, but seem to drown & warp everything! Love all your new fall projects-- and I'll be making those muffins in the morning for breakfast--my kids will LOVE those! P.S. I've got to go to the dentist tomorrow, too...I'm a little nervous--I've put it off for a while....yikes!

Elaine said...

You have a mastermind for creating the best fall decor! The pumpkin's embossed leaves is tres chic! Love the silhouette with the candlesticks - a marvelous little vignette! :) and the blingy swirl pumpkin is so haute! ;-)

Precious Treasures said...

love the pumpkin!