Monday, November 09, 2009

Altering Frames... again.. lol

Not really sure what my kick is with altering frames..but it's just somthing fun, quick and inexpensive. This was a $3 clearance table frame. I wanted to put this photo of my mom and dad in the living room .. so I did this frame up with colors that would work in there. A little bit of book print, patterned paper, Glimmer Mist and Glimmer Chips, some ink and a vintage button and trim.. and ... it matches perfectly. lol

I love these buttons. I have a few of them..but use them sparingly. Since I'll see it everyday on here, and enjoy it... what better place to use it.

Dont pass up those frames on the sale table next time.. they are really fun to alter. Here is the last one I did.
______________________________
It's been a busy weekend. After I got home this weeked, Wes showed up and is planning to spend his days off this week , here, working on his motorcyle in the garage. ( he lives in an apt , so on warm garage there to take things apart). It's always good to have the boys home when they can be here. Typical mom.. I love cooking them homemade healthy meals and babying them a bit. lol Just feels good having them around. (It's that "mom" thing).

They have been working tilling the field behind us... and Dan and I have both been dealing with allergies and sinus trouble.. so that's sure not helping. You can see how close the field is to our back yard. I just opened the window from my studio and there it is. I love the view , when it's pretty out..but right now.. not so much. lol

I have to share a little story with you. I have wondered from time to time through the years... why I have always saved so much of my kids things. I have keepsakes in bins in the back closet of baby stuff, school, scouts, plays, musicals, ect... not to mention photos and scrapbook pages. All through the boys lives since they were babies, I've saved...organized, labeled ,filed and scrapbooked so many milestones and events. Not just the big ones..but the everyday stuff.
Sometimes I think... just because I care about this stuff.. doesn't mean "they" have too. Was I really saving it for them?... or was it for my sake? lol I just couldn't let go of those things? Maybe they wont ever care.. or even want this stuff. Then I think.. well, I'll at least I'll have it if they do. But now that they have been out on their own a little while .. I look into that big closet and think.. "well I'd sure have a lot of room in this closet for other things If I didn't have all these bins of keepsakes". They don't really have a place with room to take it all that's for sure. We have their train sets, legos, books, coin collections, hotwheels.. you name it.
When my mom was here last week, and Jarad and Kate came out for dinner.. I realized it was all worth it .. just for this one moment , if nothing else.
It's not a great picture..as far as photo quality.. thats for sure ..
but it's priceless to me.
*** We were all sitting in the living room talking after dinner, and somehow the conversation came up about how my mom used to draw and color with Jarad when he was little. He loved hotwheels , so they would sit at her kitchen table and draw roads for his cars on paper. He said ..." Grandma was good at it.. she would draw roads to farms that had cows and horses..just about anything" We all laughed and my mom nodded that she remember them drawing those things together. Jarad said.." I wish I still had those".
I said... " Well, I'm sure you do, somewhere back in one of those keepsake bins"
He said.. "Really?.. I want to see them". He got up and headed back there to look.
I thought to myself.. I'm sure I saved them.. but the chances of either of us finding the exact bin ( without taking all night) .. is pushing it. Each bin is filled with lots of papers ect...
I went back to help him look. The first bin we opened.. about 10 papers down.. there they were. He took them straight out the the living room where mom was and he and grandma looked at them , reminisced and chuckled at thier drawings.
It was SO awesome! Never again will I question WHY I save, WHY I think preserving memories is important! They just ARE!

13 comments:

Catherine said...

Thanks for reminding me why I save things, for moments just like that!! LOL, love the frame by the way!!

Elaine said...

What a sweet story and a reminder for us saying WHY it's important to keep it!! I'm not good at keeping things anymore, and I'm kind of sorry I didn't keep some of the stuff. I'm glad you did!! The frame is elegant and pretty!

Scrap for Joy said...

They say your children have never really leave home until you clean out the attic. (or in your case closet(-: Not long ago I came across a box that had old report cards of my kids from grade school. (they are in their 30's I just want to say) It was so funny to read the teacher's comments from 25 years ago. When we are all together at Thanksgiving this year, my son will be given my Dad's HO trains and my daughter will receive her music box collection that she hasn't seen for 15-20 years. I'm sure they'll be happy to be reunited with the things that made such happy memories. Mothers are the caretakers of these memories until it's time to turn them over to the owners. Your frame is beautiful You have such a wonderful way of altering a piece to really compliment the photo.

stampqueen said...

Awsome story - I save alot of stuff too but between moving several times and not having much storage space its not as much as I would like!! Love the picture frame too - no wonder you love to do them, they turn out sooo Beautiful!!!!!

Jessica said...

Your frame is beautiful, Vicki! I love that story and I'm so glad you kept the drawings. My mother has always regretted the things she's thrown away, but never the things she's kept!

Marion said...

I was the world's worst hoarder until we moved house (for the 7th time) and many of my "precious things" were binned. How I regret that foolishness. Memories fade, but a scrap of paper, greeting card, child's drawing, postcard or what-have-you never fails to bridge the intervening years, however many of them there may have been.

Marion
UK

Jane Wetzel said...

Awesome Vicki..that is so nice.. And I sure like that button on the frame too! Dont know why I havent tried a frame myself..thanks for sharing! :)

Melisa Waldorf said...

Beautiful Vicki! I love the shape of the frame!

Mary Anne in NJ said...

You are so right...whether its for my sake or my sons, I can't let go of things...but I have tried to find some ways to display the things I've saved...I had a quilt made out of all his team sport shirts and favorite tshirts! I've saved every ticket stub from every game, concert, etc, and I noticed by the time he was about 15 and going with friends, the first thing he did when he came home was lay the ticket stub on the table...I must come from a long list of savers...I spent a night last week reading all of my father's letters home to his mother during WWII!!! I am SO glad I have them to share with my nieces and nephews who never knew what a wonderful man their grandfather was...

harrahx2 said...

Okay, that's enough! Do not make me cry.....do m=not tell me these great stories and think I can just sit here dry eyed because I can't. I have some "stuff" but most of it I sent to my son in dribs and drabs. I am hoping he was able to sort through and keep the gems! Love to you.

DeniseLynn said...

Beautiful!!! I love that you shared that special moment with us. I've been saving things for my boys too and find myself thinking thoughts you've shared and now I know! Yup, I plan to keep on saving some of those little things.

Laurie said...

Oh Vicki, I'm so glad you came by and visited me. Love your story and how wonderful the papers were in the FIRST box.lol. Looking through your blog it looks like you've been keeping yourself busy. Take care, I'll drop by more often!

Heather Jensen said...

That reashures me as to why I kepp everything too. My son will be 10 in Jan and I keep everything. All the pictures he draws and anything he makes for us. I hope one day to have a story like this to tell. Thanks for sharing.