Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmasy stuff

These past few weeks I have thought so much about all the amazing people I've met through blogging. ( alot of them I've never met "in person" , but feel like I know so well) I know I've talked about this before..but I've really made some wonderful friends here... and appreciate you all so much. Thankyou for taking time to come by. Those who have blogs ,or I have your emails, I can respond too, and chat with occasionally..but there are a number of you who have been coming here and commenting since I first started this silly blog.. and I have no way to contact you and stay THANKS! Thank you for your comments, for your input and encouragement.. for being part of my daily life.


With that being said... I'm just sharing a little part of our home this Christmas
Wish you could all come over.. and chat a bit. (the cookies are out of the oven)



Christmas Past
A Christmas Poem by Carice Williams
Each Christmas I remember The ones of long ago;
I see our mantelpiece adorned With stockings in a row.
Each Christmas finds me dreaming Of days that used to be,
When we hid presents here and there, For all the family.
Each Christmas I remember The fragrance in the air,
Of roasting turkey and mince pies And cookies everywhere.
Each Christmas finds me longing For Christmases now past,
And I am back in childhood As long as memories last.


Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home

This mirror was Dans Grandmas. I love it.

I have been collecting shiny brights for some time. These are all vintage..but I have to say.. just ran accross these on line.. and I'm in love .


I was watching a special on facts about Christmas traditions today.
Christmas Trees originated in Germany and the idea of sending Christmas cards came from.. England.

Legends of the Holly Tree ( some interesting information I thought I'd share) lol

**All hollies are not evergreen. There are over 400 recorded species of holly; some are variegated.

**In parts of England it is believed that sprigs of holly placed around a young girl’s bed on Christmas Eve will keep mischievous little goblins away from her for the year ahead.

**In Astrology people born in June are known as Holly people; they are honest, hard-working and often very religious. Winter is their favorite time of year.

**Wood from the holly tree is traditionally used for making white chess pieces.

**Holly trees can grow from two to forty feet tall.

**Holly is a man’s plant and is believed to bring protection and good fortune to men whereas Ivy is believed to do the same for women. On a humorous note it is believed that whoever brings the first bough of holly into a home will rule the roost for the coming year.

**Holly trees are either male or female. They both produce white blossoms but only the female tree produces the familiar red holly berries which are toxic and are dangerous if swallowed.

**Holly wreaths hung on a door or draped along a mantle represent welcome and long life to all who enter.

Some things I just look forward to getting out each year.. and this is one of them. It's not vintage.. it's "Target" lol
Yesterday we watched "A Christmas Story". Dan loves that movie. I was thinking I should get hime THIS for Christmas..but he would for sure HAVE to take it to the cabin .. not put it in the window here! lol

I traded a smaller more narrow tree for the bigger one we used to have, now that the boys arent here. This seems just right in the living room now. And not so overwhelming to put up and decorate. Living in the country is really different than living in town used to be at Christmas. I laughed yesterday when I told Dan... no one would have even known if I put a tree up or not..because no one has been here. lol (Seriously ..you'd think we lived a hundred miles from civilization).. it's actually about 17miles. lol

It's funny how you want to simplify, as you get older. I have bins and bins of Christmas decor on shelves out in the garage..but I think I only brought down two. ( Always keeping in mind... What ever I put out , I'll have to take down and put it away too) ick
I have enjoyed being at home and having things a bit slower this year for sure. I've made a point to do that. And it feels pretty good, I have to say.

I hope the weather cooperates so we can have the family all together on Christmas Eve at Jarad and Kates. I'm really looking forward to it.
They are talking a big snow before then.. but here's hoping not too much!
There's still snow on the ground from the last snow storm.. so looks like we'll have a white Christmas this year anyway.

and happy holidays to you all!










10 comments:

Thanh said...

Your home is gorgeous Vicki and I wish I could be there too, enjoying your cookies and having some tea! I love having a look inside peoples' homes, makes you feel like you know them that much more.

Catherine said...

you have such a great talent for decorating, your house looks gorgeous!!

Elaine said...

Such a beautiful, welcoming home! It is full of warmth, charm and character that defines you - just the perfect touches of glitter! (and no funny lamps in the window)... ;-) Merry Christmas, My Dear Friend!! I'm so lucky to have met you!

chelemom said...

Your house is so warm and inviting....thanks for giving us a little tour. CHA is coming back to Chicago this summer....so hopefully I will get to finally meet you in person!! Have a very Merry Christmas Vicki!!!!

Elaine A said...

Hi Vicki -

What a wonderful job you've done decorating your home! Think you can stop in upstate NY and work on my place? LOL! Wishing you and your family a wonderful Holiday!

Elaine Allen

debbiek said...

Happy Holidays to you and yours Ms. Vicki! Love your house and all your decorating.....

DeniseLynn said...

Merry Christmas!! Your home looks warm and inviting ... your creative touch is "right on". I'd drooling over your shiny brites and if I had the extra bucks to spend I'd get over to that web site and snatch up some of those {they are new / remakes right?!}. Anyway thanks for sharing your lovely home with us.

Bettyann said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family..boy after all the cookies and tarts I have snacked on, I'll have to walk to california to burn the calories..look forward to the new year..take care, hope not too much snow in your area..

Gail S. said...

Vicki-
Your home looks so cozy and warm - thank you for sharing! Sounds like we are in for a BIG storm. We were suppose to head to Colorado for Christmas but may have to delay it a day or two. They are talking Central Nebraska we can get up to 15 inches of snow. Hope they are wrong and it goes south of us. Merry Christmas!! Gail S.

harrahx2 said...

Vicki, you were just the antidote to a rough start this morning. I got news that a friends elderly parents were killed in a collision with a train. They were 87 and 84and it just about broke my heart. Then I read your blog and I know that there is love and peace and caring and sharing and everything that is important and that matters. Memories never leave us. Thank you so much for the past year of all of that and more. You are one of a kind my friend.