Saturday, December 05, 2009

I love old stuff!

Hey... I'm here.. I've neglected this blog a bit this week. It 's that busy time of year. Getting out Christmas decorations, shopping and working on upcoming CHA stuff has kept me busy lately. I'm sure everyone is feeling it right now. lol
Today I did get a little shopping done. There is no place to shop in my town.. lol.. not even a grocery store.. so off I went. I always have my camera with me ..but as I left today I almost didn't take it ..because I was thinking.. it's winter ( and no snow).. what could there be to take photos of. Silly me! I should know better.. there are cool things all around , you just have to look . Sometimes you just have to look at things differently right?
Here are some of the things I saw today.. that I think are beautiful.


I'm always drawn to old buildings ... I love to ponder their history.

I always think about how grandiose they must have been when they were first built.

Who lived there? How long?

What memories.. if walls could talk.

Sometimes when I travel I think how fun it would be to live near the ocean or with a view of the mountains...but I do love Nebraska.. it's simple.. and beautiful in it's own way. I guess it's home. It's the only place I've ever lived.
I do love the fresh air.. the old buildings, ..the people .. all part of the charm of the midwest. Some times when it's cold and "brown" , like it is now.. I just have to remember to look a little closer to see the cool things around me.
I love this little town I live in.. the fact that the old bank is now the corner cafe.. and that if you go in for breakfast there will be tables pushed together with retired farmers.. talking about the good ol days.. and that everyone pretty much knows everyone else. It's really pretty cool.

Ahh... other people like "old things" too. lol This is on main street..just down from the corner cafe.

As I leave town and head out on our gravel road , I pass this place. Every season I love how this place looks. Winter, Summer , Spring and Fall, It's always so inviting.

Oh.. and I have to show you my bargain. As I was driving by this place.. I saw this desser. Mine now... $15! Yes.. now that's what I'm talking about! lol
( bottom drawer is messed up inside ..but Dan can fix it easy enough I'm sure)

I laughed so hard at this crazy squirrel.. This chubby little thing was not leaving the spilled corn until he was full!

Okay.. I have to share something fun here, while I'm ramblinganyway. lol Check it out.

Yep.. that project on the cover is mine. That was a fun surprise for sure. I had no idea I had the cover of this issue. Totally made my day!

Off to wrap presents and start on my Christmas cards.

Have a fantastic day!

23 comments:

DeniseLynn said...

WooHooo ... you're a cover girl! :-) I've not even peeked in on my favorite blogs in several weeks now. It feels good to stop by your place for a visit see the eye candy too. I hope all is well with you and yours. Best wishes with the decorating and the cards. {I really need to get going on our here too.}

Sandy said...

Congrats on the cover! Wow! You live in a great part of the US! I suppose it can get a little ( OK...maybe a lot) boring once in a while...but I NEVER see a dresser like that , yet alone for $15.00!!!!! Open spaces....seeing as how Phoenix proper and all of it's suburbs are like almost 3 million people....UI will take the open spaces! Some day! :) Thanks for the photos!

The Rambling Papercrafter said...

Congrats on the front cover.

I love being back in the midwest but there are some days I do miss the desert. Thanks for reminding me why I like the midwest.

Jessica said...

I love that collage, Vicki, and can see why it was chosen for the cover! Congratulations!

Hope your puppy is doing ok. My heart goes out to you. I just lost my precious cat, Kokanee, unexpectedly last month to a heart disease we didn't even know he had. Pets are so special, yet their lives are so fragile. It's just not fair, is it?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bev said...

Love all your pics of old buildings. I especially love old houses that are boarded up...I always want to sneak inside! Congrats on the cover project...so you! Looks like you got spammer commentor on your blog too! You'll have to change your settings - UGH just one more thing to keep a step ahead. Have a great Sunday!

Elaine said...

Your hometown is beauty at it's finest...I think you are always able to find something and make it beautiful! Major score on that chest, but even better, is the makin the grade on that cover! Congrats - you are always a cover girl in my book!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Creative Mish said...

I love the old buildings. They would make fabulous photo shoot places! We don't have many around my area.... Congrats CoverGirl! :)

mindy said...

Great photos. I've never been to Nebraska so I really enjoy your commentary! :) Also, congrats on the covergirl....

Mindy in Central Fla.

Ali said...

, a cover- that is very special, Vicki! I would be thrilled too.

I love old things as well. We took tons of pics of "old things" and bldgs on out "jaunt" up and down "our" Annapolis Valley of NS on our 15th anniversary. I JUST rec'd the pics (2 years later, lol) and cannot wait to do a mini of that day together!

Love your posts hon! Keep up the GREAT work Vicki! xox-Ali

harrahx2 said...

I always knew you were a cover girl...kiind of gal. Congratulations, I believe people are noticing all your wonderful talent! Imagine that. Love the pictures. Couldn't live there but you sure show some wonderful things from there. I'm not a city or country girl, just an in-between...like the comforts of being able to travel through both ways of life. Hugs.....

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

15 dollars!! Are you kidding me? That is like getting it for free!! Lucky girl!! Love the old pictures. I took some of an old hour the other day and it make me wonder what life was like when the house was new!!

KimmyS said...

I am loving those photos. Gosh I would have a blast looking at all those places with you. Oh, if you love old stuff you must love me...he he

Congratz on the cover chickee
xoxo

Country Liv . . . said...

Well, I'm not surprised about the cover! That's my Vic always the top notch designer! Congrats.
Love ya,
Liv
PS: Kim was released today; sore and weak but doing pretty good.

Gail S. said...

Vicki - Congratulations on your cover. I haven't been able to check out your blog lately (life is busy) but I am soooo sorry to hear about your dog. I have said a little prayer for you are your baby :(. I will keep you in my thoughts. We have a "buddy" and I don't know what we would do if we lost him. Take care - Gail S.

Mary Anne in NJ said...

CONGRATULATIONS....I'M GOING OUT TO BUY THAT MAGAZINE IMMEDIATELY!!! YOU DESERVE IT, YOUR WORK IS ALWAYS SO CREATIVE AND WARM...HAVE WONDERFUL HOLIDAYS!
Mary Anne (in NJ)!

Charmingdesigns said...

HOw exciting!! Looks like I need to look for that Mag.! Your photos are fantastic! I LOVE old!! Sounds like you are really busy...busy is good...right?! lol. I've learned...never leave the house without the camera.

stampqueen said...

Love the pics - even know exactly where most of them are!!!!

Pattyjo said...

I also drive past older homesteads out here and wonder about the stories in that home. Who lived in their, how many children did they grow their own food to live on. etc.
I am surprised at how often we think alike!
Pattyjo

Pattyjo said...

I almost forgot! Congratulations to my sweetie Vickie!!!!!!
I am going to buy this months magazine for sure and save it forever!
Pattyjo #1 fan

Precious Treasures said...

Did they send you any of the altered art magazines? If so I will buy one from you. Congrats!

Mary Leeson said...

I thought I was the only one that loved "old stuff" and I too am always wondering who the original owners were and how they lived, etc. Stuff like that just amazes me!! Just found your blog and am really blessed!