Monday, February 15, 2010

Crafty Secrets DT challenge "Adding Color"

It's time for this months Crafty Secrets Design Team Challenge. Here's how it works... Each month we have a new theme or challenge using Crafty Secrets products. The Design Team girls share their beautiful creations on their blogs for all of you to see. Sounds good so far right? lol I'll share my challenge projects below, and then at the end of my post.. I 'll have links to all the Design Team girls blogs, so you can grab a cup of coffee, put your feet up and enjoy their creativity.
This months challenge ...... "Adding C o l o r"
____________________________________

My first project required a little baking. I decided to have some fun with the new "Cupcake Party" Stamp set.
I stamped on just white cardstock and then used Glimmer Mist to add color.


There are 26 separate stamps on this large 6 x 8" set with lots of mix & match words and little flourish designs you can stamp curled around them. To make the cupcake wrapper, all you do is stamp it once... line it up..( where marked)... stamped again, then cut it out. I simply cut along the top edge with a pair of decorative scissors, and punched holes in the center of each Scallop.
Imagine black on pink paper, red on white, brown on cream - very classy!
There at other elements as well as words, for you to use.
Words: Happy Birthday, Cupcake, Sweetie, Congratulations, Kind, Wishes, Thanks, Showers of Happiness and Girlfriend. Glue name label to front, add the bird (1 3/4" x 3"), butterfly (over 3") or heart to the tops. This set will work fabulous for cards as well.

It's so easy to make the colors blend when your using Glimmer Mist. I used
Viva pink, Patina, and Sweet clover.

I added some little wire antenna to the butterfly.

Oh geeezzz.. who's going to eat these cupcakes?? ( better sent them to work with Dan)


*********************************************************
For these next cards I used the SL24 Seasonal Friends stamp set.
This is a large stamp set 6 x 8” with 4 art deco style ladies in seasonal settings. The 4 sentiments are on banners, so you can use them separately. There is a little bird in each scene. Images are just over 2 ½” x 3” and banners are over 2 ½” x 3/4".

I decided to really Challenge "myself ", on this one. If you know me ... I'm not much for detailed coloring. So I stepped out of "my" comfort zone on this one, to show you .... If "I" can do it... anyone certainly can. lol
I used the same image , but added color three different ways.
Here goes...
1) Adding color with Glimmer Mist
This first one... is more something I would do. The background was made using Glimmer Mist, and then the stamped image just done in Black.
Color added.... right?


Come on Vic. Hmmmm... how about trying Water Color pencils??
That was easy enough.
2). Adding color with Water Color Pencils

Chalk.. now that is forgiving ( ahhh... even erases)... I like this idea lol.
3) Adding Color with Chalk

Actually coloring was very relaxing. I'm sure I'll get better at it , as I do it more.. but that's what a challenge is all about right? Try, learn, practice.. enjoy!
Okay.. as I promised.. here are the links to the rest of the Design Teams blogs, so you can enjoy their beautiful creations!
Thanks to Craft Secrets for providing us with these wonderful products to make creating so FUN for us!!!

22 comments:

Nat said...

I love the cupcake-wrapping you made- so so cool That stampset is awesome. I can#t believe you made extra cupcakes - LOL -and that you send them with Dan - I think you should send them to me :)

Rbarakat said...

These are lovely, I love using glimmer mists and chalk but I hear you on those fine details! LOL!

Pam said...

ACK!!! I'm in love with your cupcake creation Vicki, beautiful!
Great coloring on your cards too!

chelemom said...

Love your projects Vicki!!!Can't wait to get the cupcake set!! So fun!

tricia said...

Your cupcake creations are wonderful Miss Vic!! Love them!!

Julie said...

Beautiful stuff, Vicki! You were busy! I just pulled out my chalks yesterday to start playing with them--haven't done that in ages!

Your cupcakes look wonderful--love your tiered stand!

trendyscrapper said...

I love love love those cupcakes you rock all your projects amazing.

harrahx2 said...

The cupcakes are darling, I'll be right over to eat a couple. Your coloring is wonderful. I don't understand what you didn't like about it? I thought it was great. Much better than I do.....

wendy said...

Love it all! Can you send me some of your creativity along with a cupcake? Thanks!

Deb Neerman said...

These are fabulous, Vicki! LOVE the cuppie wrappers!!

Jan said...

NUM!!! Your cupcakes look so good...forget about the rest ! LOL
The cards are gorgeous and this might just be the answer I needed to add some extra color..the chalk and the glimmer mist cards are my favorite...right after the cupcakes, that is:)

Marisa said...

Love all your projects and how you demonstrated various ways of adding color.

Just got my cupcake stamps yesterday and waiting to try them out soon.

Thanks for the challenge.

Heidi Blankenship said...

OMGosh I LOVE your cupcakes!!! They look Fabulous!! Love all of the Glimmer Mist! Your card is Beautiful too!

debbiek said...

Love the cupcakes and the cards! Now I'm craving some sweets...lol.

DeniseLynn said...

Wowzer!! Truly fab Vicki. The cupcakes made me drool and the coloring was great. I'm digging those stamps for sure ... they remind me of vintage valentines. I so need to check those how and see if I can afford a set of my own. {Oh i better re-read; what company are they from?}

Cynthia said...

I think you have created great projects with color, Vicki! The cupcake holders are adorable. You have a lovely blog as well.

Flo said...

i love , so love the way you use Glimer Mist ! very beautiful !

FrenchGardenHouse said...

I LOVE the cupcake wrappers! What a great set of stamps, and you, as usual, have made them so beautiful.
xo Lidy

Teri Daughter of The King said...

I like to spray a little glimmer mist on my plastic sheet and grab my paint brush to add the glimmer right where I want it, like water color.

Catherine said...

I loved all the projects on the hop, especially your cupcakes - wish I could eat one of those right now, LOL!

Melisa Waldorf said...

Hi Vicki! Yummy project you created, teehee! LOVE, love those images. These are beautiful and I can't wait to see what everyone else has created.

Donna E. said...

mouth-watering cupcakes!!! :)
and i love your other samples for adding color into a project! thanks for sharing!