Saturday, February 06, 2010

Sweet stuff

I forgot to show you these little individual vintage pie pans I got when I was junk'n the other day. I decided since the kids would be around this weekend I'd actually bake something. So I tried them out.

I used to bake alot ..but just don't really anymore. There's no one around but Dan and I for the most part. Dan doesn't like sweets.. um.. and I DO!... nuff said! lol
When I do make pies.. I use this crust recipe. I've tried a number of different crust recipes..but for me .. this one works the best. ( you can click on it to see it larger)
edited: Well I tried and it didnt inlarge when I clicked on it .. so here it is
Pie Pastry
1 1/2 Cups Shortening
3 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/2 teas. salt
1 egg
2 teas vinegar
5 Tablespoons ice water
Cut shortening into mixture of flour and shortening with a pastry blender until crumbly. Beat egg, vinegar and water in bowl. Add to flour mixture. Mix with fork until mixture forms balls.
Makes 3 shells
I also forgot to show you the new $4 glass piece I got that day also. (the one in front). I love putting my supplies in ,these in my room. Pretty to look at, and also helps me to keep my supplies in sight (otherwise I forget what I have, or where they are) lol


When I was at Hobby Lobby the other day, I found this cute wire heart stand. On sale .. 40% off .. so it was about $4. I love it because it unhooks and lays flat for storage when you take the dish out. The Red dish is old.. it was Dans Grandmas. I added the ribbons. It fits a clay pot also.. so if I don't put it away after Valentines.. I take off the ribbons, and add the clay pot with an ivy in it.



Speaking of Valentines. I'll be sharing some of my favorites during this next week. Here are a couple that I love. (This one is fitting for me , don't you think?) Only it should say , "my DOG(S)". lol



And here are my sweeties. Thanks Kate for sending me this photo. Looks like a fun night around the fire pit at the cabin. I swear , those guys will go out there no matter how COLD it is. Not me. lol I'm quite cozy right here, thanks.




Some photos just make you smile everytime you look at them... this one does it for me.

ta ta for now

15 comments:

Aimeslee said...

What pretty birds from last post. And your Valentines are cute. The pies are dangerous, tho. Lots of those calorie-germs swimming around in there! winkwink xoxo

Jan said...

NUMMM! Those pies look too pretty to eat :) Bet your kids will love them..

Scrap for Joy said...

Pie crust intimidates me...yours makes me drool! I have a friend who has 3 rescued greyhounds...I'm using your card to make one for her for V Day. Great picture of the "boys"...I love pictures of fathers and sons, probably because they're harder to get! Your last post (the birds) was a joy to look at. I love bird projects, too. I have the CS sets with the birdies and use them a lot! We're still digging out here in Pittsburgh-about 26" of snow. Stay warm!
Joyce

Elaine said...

Yummy! The pies and tarts looks so tasty! What a nice score on the heart stand too - lucky you :) hugs to you and the family!

cards4u said...

I can see why it makes you smile : )

~Sasha Farina~ said...

save some of that pie for me! I'm on the next flight!

LindaC said...

Yummy looking pies! Wish you were closer so we could go 'junking' together. I understand about the photo of your boys....there's just something about a momma and sons. I tell Griffin 'it's a momma thing'. LC

Anonymous said...

Easily I agree but I think the brief should acquire more info then it has.

chelemom said...

Those pies look absolutely delicious! I can't bake.....at all! So I admire those who can!

Jane Wetzel said...

yummy is all I gotta say! and LOVE the glass dishes..hmmm ..think I gotta get to my junk store now!! so glad you are back blogging girl!!:)

harrahx2 said...

Love that heart stand! I understand they opened a Hobby Lobby in Pennsylvania so I have to check them out. Great pic of the boys. Hugs to you......

janel said...

Yummy! The photo of the boys...just the best. Look at their wonderful smiles....now that's a Valentine for a sweet sweet girl! I hope your week is wonderful.

Pattyjo said...

Nice guy bonding picture Vickie. They take good care of you and they are close, thats why you smile. Your life is good sweetie!
Pattyjo

Crafting Clare said...

Birds and pies - what's not to like? Great blog.

Anonymous said...

Digital memory is something that I seemingly will never have enough of. It feels like megabytes and gigabytes have become an inseparable part of my every day existence. Ever since I bought a Micro SD Card for my NDS flash card, I've been on the constant lookout for high memory at low prices. It's driving me crazy.

(Posted from Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.livejournal.com/491.html]R4i[/url] Fling)