Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Spring baskets

I don’t know about the rest of you, but if your feeling anything like me , you are SO ready for SPRING! It’s been one long winter here in Nebraska, so Spring cant get here soon enough for me. Before we know it, Easter will be here, and then May Day.. so I thought I’d show you a little hint for making these peat moss baskets that would work great for little gifts, name place holders for Easter dinner , or fun little May Baskets. I LOVE May Day and feel little sad that it doesn’t seem to be as big of a deal as it was when I was young. I’m determined to save May Day!! lol










All I did was buy a package of inexpensive peat moss planting cups and lightly mist them with some of my favorite colors of Glimmer Mist. Because the cups are already naturally a brownish color, the Glimmer Mist colors I chose to use are a bit brighter than one may think of to use . I used Sunshine, Olive Vine, Tuttie Fruiti and Patina. If you plan to add extra coats of Glimmer Mist for more intense color.. be sure to let it dry inbetween coats ( you don't want your peat moss cups to start to break down if they get to wet)
After they are dry , you can add a bit of silver glitter to the top rim of the cup if you wish.
I then hot glued a twig handle on, and added some old sewing patterned paper, moss, eggs , feathers, and misted chipboard pieces from Tattered Angels.
Kind of a fun way to wish someone a happy Spring and brighten their day!


I just sprayed the little wood eggs with Iridescent Gold Glimmer Mist.. but Robin's Egg Blue would be pretty also.



I was trying out lots of the new little chipboard pieces from Tattered Angels. Gold foiling on the leaf above.. and see the clear resist on the one below.


More clear resist designs on this little bird.

I'm telling you... FUN new stuff from Tattered Angels! woo hoo
_______________________________
This little sweet face has been brightening our week around here. Aly and Molly are happy to have Miss Cloey here to play also. She is just such a sweet dog. Gentle with Aly ... always sleeping at her side..but super playful with Molly, to keep her busy. She's funny , she just seems to know how to adapt to each of their personalities.

I told you about these flashing lights I got for the dogs a while back HERE. I just have to tell you... It was a good buy! So glad I got them.. it really does help see where they are when I let them out at night. With no street lights in the county.. even the boundary of the yard is hard to see. We are always right at the door or even outside when they are out.. but it really does make a huge difference. You can see them flashing from quite a distance. Last night we were both standing outside watching them ... and realized how odd it must look to the occasional cars that come by. I'm sure it looks bizarre! lol Flashing red lights moving quickly and randomly all over the yard. lol
"Sightings"? lol

Happy Day Everyone!

26 comments:

Julie said...

What adorable baskets, Vicki! Great ideas--love that chipboard bird!

I've been having so much fun with Glimmer Mist--I'm spraying it on everything these days!

Hope you're doing well--have a great night!

Nikki said...

Your little Baskets are so sweet and perfect for spring :)

Nat said...

I so love those- soso cool!!!

tammy inman said...

Beautiful Spring baskets.

Love the story about the dogs running around with the new lights you got them... very cute! :)

cendrillon said...

Your Spring basket are so beautiful!

Jane Wetzel said...

you never cease to amaze me Vicki...GORGEOUS ..also- I have those lights for my dogs..they are awesome..

Jan said...

Loving your baskets! I like the pieces of pattern and print you stuck in! I really like the 'resist'. Do they come this way or is there a technique to getting the resist?
I did find a bunch of Tattered Angels and am really liking it! I got the tiles and masks, alphas, and chipboard pieces.

Diane Jaquay said...

Your baskets are just DIVINE!!!

Amy Hall said...

Love the baskets Vicki......have you ever made your own? I saw it on Martha Stewart one day and thought of making them with the kids at school for Earth day...........I love the ending look. SAVE MAY DAY girl! You can do it!

DeniseLynn said...

So fun. Peat baskets are one of my favorites to alter. I often do wire handles but I am loving your little grape vine ones! So fun!! {last year I made some polka dot ones and they were a hit ... ahh the possibilities!}

Bettyann said...

So much fun and so little time LOL..great ideas for the peat pots...must go out and buy more glimmer mist..have a great day..

Pattyjo said...

I love your creations and the baskets are just wonderful...which one is mine?
Hehe
Pattyjo

md said...

QUE DES BRAVOS
MD

Troy Louise said...

Love your sweet baskets & I'm with you about Spring. We had snow this a.m., not much but enough to make it really cold. Your dog story is so fun. Thanks!

Precious Treasures said...

Oh Vicki those baskets are adorable!!!! I want to make some!

debbiek said...

Love your little baskets Vicki! Wish I were your neighbor and you'd hang one on my door:) How sweet are those!!!

Elly said...

Owww... I love your little easter cups!!! They are adorable (just like your sweet doggie!)
Have a nice weekend, hugs Elly

becky said...

gorgeous spring baskets friend!!! LOVE them! you know you rock, right?

Marlene (cards4u) said...

Well I think you are well on your way to saving May Day!! These are wonderful! You certainly have a gift of taking the ordinary and making it into something beautiful and if you don't mind me adding without a boatload of work : ) Love the bit of nature you incorporate into your projects.

Enjoy your Weekend!

sewingseeds4U said...

Vickie, you take the cake on this one. Just adorable and so clever...love the way your brain works. Happy Easter!

Elaine said...

100% lusciousness!! I hope I spelled that right. lol. LOVE these, Ms. Vicki!! :)

ittybittyandpretty said...

great idea..i want peat moss for a different activity and now seeing it in use i might just have to hunt some down tomorrow..
howp spring reaches you soon.
xxrosey

wig4usc said...

Thanks for sharing your ideas, Vicki! I made some a couple years ago, but before I discovered Glimmer Mist!! I'll have to use some of your ideas for the next batch! :)

MJ said...

I had to pop over to see the Glimmer Mist on the pots!!

I couldn't help but think that the blinking lights on your dogs might be causing major concerns about UFOs in the Nebraska area?!

Lisa M. Pace said...

Gorgeous baskets. And I spy with my little a portion of my book! :)

One More Time Events said...

These are adorable !