Monday, May 17, 2010

You just never know what might come your way

It's true.. you never know. I had something really cool come right down my road today. I was working in my room and Dan had left to go to the cabin to mow... when my phone ran. It was Dan and he said..."you'll want to grab your camera, because there is something coming down the road that you'll want to see".
He was right.
I had such a nice visit with this amazing family. They are their way to Utah with this handcart... walking all the way!


I went to the facebook page they have and here's what it says,
Description:
"The overall purpose of the 2010 Mormon Trail Handcart Trek is to mark the 150th anniversary of the crossing of the final Latter-day Saint (Mormon) handcart companies. The Robison and Stoddard companies were the last two of ten companies that crossed the plains to Salt Lake City Utah between 1856 and 1860. In marking this anniversary we seek to honor the Latter-day Saint handcart pioneers, build our own faith, and provide others with an opportunity to become familiar with the legacy of faith and courage left by these courageous pioneers.Further, the participants strongly believe that the reenactment of historical journeys is a powerful medium through which individuals and families grow and develop. Such journeys provide new perspectives from which to view one’s life. They build character and perseverance. Participants experience increased gratitude for the legacy they have inherited through an opportunity to reflect on the contribution of those who have gone before. In addition, such recognition and gratitude becomes a catalyst for a new vision of the legacy one may leave for future generations. Thus, the reenactments of historical journeys become powerful agents of change and growth."
In the photo (above) that little guy had just picked that flower from the ditch and gave it to his mom. What a sweetie!
I love this photo of them.(below) They were waiting at the end of the drive while I ran in the house for a piece of paper and a pen to write down their info and give them mine. I told the one young man that I would be posting these photos here by tonight.. so (that's the reason for two blog posts in one day) lol


Here is their facebook page if you are interested.
Mormon Trail Handcart Trek 2010


Can you say... ADORABLE!
What an inspiration to see a family taking on such a endeavor. Oh, that things they will see and learn along the way. The boys said they had seen deer,turkeys, rabbits ect.. They said they had met so many nice people and had their picture taken quite a few times. lol

So I'm sure they didn't mind a few more. lol

Check out the little guy in the back with his mom. Holding onto his hat so it didn't fall off as he was skipping.
Fremont (their last stop) is 17 miles from here. Skipping? Really?
What a awesome thing to get to see today!
Had to share!


10 comments:

Julie said...

Great pictures, Vicki! My oldest daughter is actually taking part the same thing this weekend...just a "mini" one!She's excited about it (except for the getting dirty part!)

Sorry I missed the deadline for the challenge this morning...had to go into work early. I did make my card, though--about to post it--better late than never???

Jan said...

Greatr photo's and what a beautiful family experience!
HEY...YOU GO, GIRL! I picked up my issue of Scrap and Stamp and saw your 2 beautiful shadowboxes!!! YIPEE!

MJ said...

Wow, that was an unusual experience at the end of your driveway! I hadn't heard of this trek; what a lot of work and determination needed to do it! i bet those kids will be glad to get their ipods & tv back!

Dawn said...

I would love to have done this too! such a journey and when you know the history behind it you can see why it's so important thank you for the link I will continue to follow them SO COOL!

Love Dawn xx

Nat said...

wow- interesting!

Summerthyme Studio said...

WOW! Now that is something to see. What beautiful Photographs and write up! Some lovely family bonding moments! Hope you are well! Must get to sending you those pics from CHA one of these days.........

Hugs

Vicki G

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

Love those Mormons!! To leave all the had and walk across the country is amazing! I wonder if I'd hve the faith to leave ALL that I had and walk to an unknown place in the name of God and faith. I'd like to think I would. I hope I never have to find out! Happy Spring!

LindaC said...

I adore these photos...what a great experience for that family and for you.

debbiek said...

Great pixes Ms. Vicki! I will have to show my hubby as he'll enjoy seeing them too:) Have a great day and thanks for sharing.

Gwen Mangelson said...

More of the general public need to learn about our Religious Heritage and story to stop the myths and lies told. Here in Missouri I am constantly astounded at the lies the preachers are telling in their churches about our religion!
thank you for sharing the trek story!!