Monday, June 21, 2010

Crafty Secrets DT Technique Challenge

Here it is another Crafty Secrets Design Team Challenge day! I love these! The challenge this month is "techniques".. showing you how to do something by step by steps or videos.. so be sure to see what all the girls have put together for today. (links at the bottom of my post)

After giving some thought to what I might do. I decided to show you one of my favorite things to do. Altering $ store goodies. I get such a kick out of finding fun things to alter for little or nothing. Flea Markets are my favorite..but second best... Dollar stores.. and they are everywhere! Here's the project I'll show you how to make today with a dollar frame and Crafty Secrets "Birds and Blossoms" Creative Scraps. ( NEW double sided sheets) Available July 1st. Now shipping to stores, so ask your favorite store about getting them in. Also available on Crafty Secrets website after July 1st.


There are so many $ store frames that have lots of potential. I always look past the color ( because that can easily be changed) and look at the design!
I know lots of you have used crackle medium, but in case you haven't, I'm going to go through the steps as I create this project.

Since I have decided to give my frame a "Crackled" look. These are some of the things I used to do this. Two different colors of acrylic paint.. one lighter and one darker.. for contrast. Crackle finish ( there are lots of different brands). It's inexpensive , and can be found in the paint isle at any craft store.
A brush and one (or two) sheets of Crafty Secrets "Birds and Blossoms" Creative Scraps.
Here we go....
Start by separating the frame from the back and the glass. Using a small piece of sand paper.. just rough up the frame to help the paint stick.

After sanding lightly, wipe with a dry cloth and put on the first coat of paint.. using the darkest color first.


After the first coat of paint is completely dry, brush on one coat of Crackle finish.

You always want the crackle coat to be TOTALLY dry before adding another coat of paint, so this is a good time to set that aside and work on other parts of your project.
I'm using the new GORGEOUS backside of the "Birds and Blossoms" Creative Scraps for my project. Since the first time I saw this I have been wanting to do a project with just this! You'll want to decide what part of the sheet you want to use inside your frame... and cut it out to fit inside. I cut mine slightly larger than the glass , so that it's easy to glue to the back of the frame. ( I don't plan on using the glass on top of my finished project). I want it to have dimension!

Now.. "if" you decide to add even more dimension to the images like I did, you will need to have two(same) sheets of these scraps... here's why. ... I cut out the images I really wanted to highlight and added them on top of the base image sheet with foam squares.
(hint: I like to lightly ink the edges of the cut images before I add them to make them pop of the page even more)

The really great part of this beautiful collage sheet is that you can easily cut.. tear and added different elements from the sheet to fit your project. I wanted more of the flowers instead of just part of the blue bird ( because I had to cut of the bird to fit my size frame ) at the top of my project so I just tore other parts of the sheet, and added to the collage.


When I added the images to the base sheet with foam squares, I tried to keep in mind where I was going to be gluing it down to the backside of the frame, because I want the edges of the paper to be able to glue flat to the back of the frame. ( see below). example: I will trim that pot to that it's flush with the back of the frame, when I glue it down.

******
Okay.. time to put the last coat of paint on the frame now that the crackle coat is totally dry. The last coat will be the lighter tan color because when the cracks start to show as the paint drys.. I want the darker paint to show through the cracks. (hint: when brushing on the top coat of paint, remember the cracks start appearing as soon as the paint starts drying.. so work quickly and try not to go over and over it with brush strokes...the less brushing the better. The heaver the paint the bigger the cracks, so you can easily control how much cracking and how large the cracks are by how much paint you put on.

Here's the look that you get, as it dries.

Be sure to let the frame dry completely before starting to assemble your project.
*******
You can see below how I've added the extra pieces with foam squares, and how it's added even more dimension. I then glued the paper piece to the back of the frame.

I like to used my glue gun to add my image to the frame. I hot glue it to the bake of the frame and then I put the back cover to the frame back on .

I use my glue gun to add all my embellishments to my frame. I think this is the fun part! woo hoo!
twig, flowers, leaves, moss, terracotta, buttons, eggs, gems , you name it! Dig in your stash and see what you've forgotten you have. lol


I get these little pots super cheep at the craft store. I whack em with a little hammer on my desk and us parts of them. (glamorous huh?)

Another thing I love to use it twigs from these little wreaths I get at Hobby Lobby or Micheal's. I always start by clipping the piece that wraps around the wreath, holding it together. It's my favorite part because it's so curly.

(hint: if you want it to be more flexible to unwind the entire wreath for crafting or for decorating..just soak it in some warm water in the sink for a couple of hours, then unwind and lay out side in the sun to dry)



Time to start hot gluing on embellishments .. to your hearts content!

Finished project

Remember when your at the dollar store.. look pass what you see and think about how you can alter it to create something completely different.
***************************************************
I know the Crafty Secrets Design Team has lost of fantastic tutorials planned for you today, so be sure to check them all out. I'm off to do just that.



36 comments:

Deborah March said...

SOOOO beautiful Vicki! Wonderful dimension!

Michele said...

WOWEEEE!!! This is gorgeous Vicki!!!!

MYLIFEMYPUGSMYSCRAPBOOK said...

OMG that is sooo awesome! What a beautiful frame and I totally love the idea of whacking those little pots to use just parts and pieces of it! You are sooo creative I just love to check your blog to see what you've come up with each time : )

Jan said...

WOW! A dollar frame that looks like a million bucks after you got a hold of it :) Beautiful!

Pam said...

BEAUTIFUL! You are so stinkin' crafty! Love all your tips, I'll be using some :)

A Vintage Chic said...

Yikes! GORGEOUS, Vicki! Love the layering....aren't those new Creative Scrap collages beautiful?!

Julie

LindaC said...

You are SO good! Lovely!

Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage Co. said...

Okay, this is my new fav birdie project!
I love the colors, the nest, I adore this part of the scraps you used and all on a dollar store frame!

Angela said...

My word Vicki...this is gorgeous!! stunning!!

debbiek said...

Oh Ms. Vicki, this is soooooo adorable. Thanks for the tutorial. You are such an inspiration, I just want to run to my craft room right now and MAKE SOMETHING...lol!

Nat said...

This is soooo stunning - I love it so much girl!!!

Viv (VivLyn) said...

I love this Vicki! It is simply gorgeous!! Is your frame wood or plastic? I never see anything I like at the $ store but I don't have your creative eye either:)

cali said...

Wow! How incredible!! So, so, so beautiful! YOU are very talented!

harrahx2 said...

I am POSITIVE that WHACK EM is a technical term, right? Love this Vicki. That is one reason I love what you do, you see outside the box! Excellent!

Charlene said...

Vicki, LOVE this whole post!!!! The pot with the curly vine... adorable. Those birds on that paper divine. I can't wait to get some of that paper. DARN I don't have a scrapbook store in town any more. Grrrrrrrrrr maddening for sure. Thank goodness for girlfriends like you who are in the KNOW! And also, thank you for the sweet comments about my studio in the Where Bloggers Create II Event. HUGS! Charlene

Marisa said...

Wooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!! This is just so adorable. I just love the way you make plain simple things look so vintage and beautiful.

Home and Heart said...

I LOVE the dollar store, for just this reason!! Your creation is FABULOUS!

DeniseLynn said...

WOW!!!!

Anonymous said...

Just as I thought... Your work is always GORGEOUS Vicki! I could hang out on your blog for days. Linda Duke

Jessica said...

Holy cow, this is gorgeous, Vicki! I love the birds, of course, and that little flower pot is precious.

Rbarakat said...

Gorgeous Vicki!!! Love this project!

Dawn said...

This is really wonderful! My crackle never works that well ha ha

Love Dawn xx

Paper Boutique said...

looove your frame this is so cool, now I wish I had done a tutorial on this weeks post. I used the CS image of the prayer for the dolls, (just makes my heart teary) and created a shadow box with it out of a chibpboard frame. It's all CS goodness so please come take a peek!

Jane Wetzel said...

A M A Z I N G.....You are really amazing...this is GORGEOUS! How fun!

Mary Anne in NJ said...

AWESOME!!!!!Just love it! Thanks for the great ideas, and for encouraging me to look past the obvious...

Bernadette Bliss said...

OMG your ART makes ME HAPPY! Love this project and thanks for such detailed instructions.

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Wow that is just goregous, you would never know that was a $ frame, love the dimension and decoration you gave to the frame too!

Elle Kasban said...

OMG How Absolutely Beautiful! I, too, love $ stores and am blessed with a great one near me. You have outdone yourself with this one! ElleK

ElleK said...

OMG how Absolutely Beautiful! You have out done yourself this time. I,too, love $ stores and am blessed to have one nearby. Great inspiration! Elle

stampqueen said...

Adorable frame!!!! Love all the embellishments!!!

Nicolette said...

This is so sweet! I love how the theme carries through both the inside of the frame and the frame itself....thanks for sharing!

kathy/North Carolina said...

OK...I'm going to the dollar store. And I'm buying crackle medium. That is just the most gorgeous project ever. You never cease to amaze me, girl!

Anonymous said...

Wow...what a wonderful frame to keep or for a gift! Thanks for sharing the steps for each part.
Sue Clarke

scrapfancy said...

This is so great and getting my juices flowing. I seem to be altering more things lately now that I have my Women Den. So createing more. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas.

Precious Treasures said...

That is amazing! I would have never even guessed it was the same frame.

Martica Gonzalez said...

Wow I looove this. What a great piece of art. Where did you get the image.....