Saturday, June 19, 2010

"Happy Fathers Day".. and some of our weekend

Happy Fathers Day to all the amazing Dads out there!
I feel so blessed and thankful to have mine for the first 24 years of my life. Of course I wish I had had him much longer, and I still miss him everyday ..but am so, so thankful for the memories I have of him, and for the things he taught me. So much time has passed and still a lump comes to my throat just trying to put into words what kind of man my dad was, and how much he meant to me.
So I'm just going to say...
I was just SO lucky to be blessed with two amazing , loving and giving parents! Happy Fathers Day Dad... I love you!


*************************************************************
Today we met the kids out at the cabin. It's the first time I have been out there to see the flooding. The waters have gone down so much since the first photos the guys came home and showed me.. yet it still seem so surreal. The photo below is of the county road leading to the lane to our cabin. Obviously we couldn't get through this way.. so we had to go around .. up the hill and come back down on the other side.


It's hard to believe that the photo below is of the corn field across from our cabin.



This is the back yard. No volleyball today.
That blue building out there, belongs to our neighbors.



I have to say, I have been so proud of our kids and how they have stepped up and helped so much with things at the cabin. Having a place like this is alot of fun, but can be alot of work! Mowing, painting, just general upkeep, year after year gets old. ( and we're getting older) lol It's like everything you do at home , x's 2. Today , the boys and Kate where out there with a rented carpet cleaner, planning to take care of what little water did get in the little cabin. They have put in alot of time and effort working on things out there this past year especially. Kate works right along with them. The girl is not afraid to get in there and help.
The photo below is hysterical to me. She was walking through the water and muck to the point her flip fops wouldn't stay on. When she showed me what she did to keep them on ... I laughed and said.... " Oh, there is NO doubt in my mind at all , that you are defiantly the girl for Jarad!". Any of my family or friends who know Jarad are laughing right now , because they KNOW Jarad and how he is. Total Gadget head, .. a dig in and do it sorta guy. He's always been like MacGyver... even when he very very young. So the fact that Kate had used electrical tape to keep her flip flops on...........tells it all!~ Love it! WTG Kate!

"Redneck flip flops for flood cleanup" lol Classic! Gotta love it! lol


I can't top that one..so I think I'll close for now. lol

*** REMINDER***
Monday morning is a new Crafty Secrets DT challenge post. It's going to be great! Everyone is doing a step by step or video tutorial showing you a how to or a technique.
Hope you come check it out!


hugs

10 comments:

Elaine said...

holy cow! That was some flood! I haven't been checking out blogs lately as Bruce is out of town and I haven't had a lot of time to surf. :( I hope you didn't sustain any damager - your pic is too cute of your flip flops! ;-)

Cathy said...

The flooding is unreal! Years of dry and now this!
Love the flip flops!

Jan said...

Your boys and Kate are so sweet to lend a hand and dig right in there to help out!! Flooding can cause so much damage and stress!!! (Two years ago we had record flooding here in IA and many are still without their homes and businesses) Just a tragedy!
Such a beautiful tribute to your Dad...I miss my Dad, too. Everyday!
Have a beautiful day!

Jane Wetzel said...

omg-that is unbelievable! Love the flip flops- my kinda gal!

kathy/North Carolina said...

Yikes! Glad the water is beginning to go down. We pray for dry weather for a good while for you so that things can dry out!

debbiek said...

Wow. You certainly did get some flooding in your area:( Glad that your kids pitched in to help out. Kate is one smart cookie with those flip flops!

Catherine said...

Phew, that looks like one heck of a lot of water! Hoping the cabin didn't sustain to much damage! Hope you have a great week!

Precious Treasures said...

Water was going back up today. :( We had water in our basement finally today. I think we need a little break from the rain.

LindaC said...

What a hoot....are you sure she isn't from TN?

Bettyann said...

well in this neck of the woods we would be wearing some kind of sandal with tire treads onthe bottom..basicaly west coast version of red-neck flip flops lol pic is too cute..