Thursday, August 19, 2010

Guest Blogger Catherine Scanlon

************************************
Guest Blogger- Catherine Scanlon





I’m so happy and honored to be a Guest Blogger for Vic. She’s such a talented and wonderful friend – love her! Vic and I “met” while we were both on the ScrapMuse Design Team eons ago. We both ended up leaving the Muse for other opportunities, but have managed to stay in touch over the years – I even went out to visit her in Nebraska a couple years ago. We had a wonderful time –junking in all her favorite spots –a little crafting too - she’s one of the most talented, creative and lovely ladies I’m honored to call a friend.



A little about me, I’m currently on the Creative Team for EK Success Brands and have written two books, I hope you’ll take a minute to check out my blog Art from the Heart please make sure to say hello if you do stop by! I’ll admit I’ve been a bad blogger the last few weeks, my fall classes at My Creative Classroom are starting in September and I’ve been busy getting my new classes ready!



Anyway, when Vic asked me to be a guest blogger for her I knew exactly what I wanted to do! I had picked up a fun pack of Christmas Die Cuts at Jo Ann’s that very day only because they were 40% off and I didn’t get this particular set in my monthly goodie box when it was released. (Urgh, yes I did say Christmas in August – but it’s never too early to start on those special cards you send out every year ;-) The die cuts are from K & company and were designed by Brenda Walton –they are divine – some are clear and the rest are cardstock. Very vintage and very lovely.


Here’s a quick shot of the group of cards I made, they were fun to make – and I loved combining them with Spellbinders dies and pretty papers too.





Even though they look detailed, they really didn’t take a lot of time to make! For this card I die cut a blue label from pretty blue flocked paper – and because I wanted a red mat for it ended up hand cutting one because I had used the largest die for the blue flocked paper. I also cut two small ovals and a corrugated cardboard tag and I added them to the card along with patterned paper, the die cuts and some gold German trims. Of course, I added some sewing to the mix and this card was complete. Easy.





It’s a toss-up which card is my favorite – I think it’s this sweet one! For this one I die cut 4 of the same size tags and layered them over the German scraps and vellum tape on patterned paper and added the die cut poinsettia and stitched around the edges. I added the corrugated cardboard tag and made the tag with a rub on. A little ink and the pretty girl die cut and this card was DONE! Easy peazy lemon squeezy! ;-) See, this Christmas card thing in August is moving right along….it’s better than December 21st like I usually manage and it’s not a Christmas card but a New Year card ;-)






This last card was a little more difficult, I die cut two windows – one in the patterned paper and one in the card base and sandwiched a piece of vellum in between the two die cuts. When I was at JoAnn’s I picked up some embossing folders for Metal (Walnut Hollow) for $1.97 hoping they’d work with my Big Shot – and they DID – yahoo for me. So, I embossed the red paper strip and attached it to the patterned paper then added some Gold German scraps and the Santa die cut. Before adding the tag, I stitched around the window and Santa then added the corrugated cardboard tag with red velvet ribbon and stitched around the edge of the card. Some velvet leaves (Making Memories) and a clear tag and the letter stickers (October Afternoon) and this card was DONE, all three before I ate breakfast, LOL. Don’t ask what time I ate.





I hope you enjoyed my Christmas in August cards, thanks for being such great fans of Vic, I hope to see you over on my blog sometime! And, since it’s still summer, I’ll leave you with this pretty flower – one because I know Vic loves them – and two – because I can’t have you worried about winter just yet!





Enjoy the rest of your week! XoX, Catherine



****************************************

36 comments:

Ronda said...

It's so nice to see your art, Cat. These are all beautiful and a welcome spot of winter inspiration on a hot August day!

debbiek said...

GREAT cards, Catherine!

harrahx2 said...

Hi Cat.....from another Vicki Blog Friend! I watched your visit with great envy. You are in Maine? *I think?*.....I am a NE lady myself...although live in Maryland now....love your cards and love your blog too! Best wishes and thanks for sharing.

Nathalie Kalbach said...

I love those cards- they are wonderful!!!

Jan said...

Lovin' your Christmas cards!!

LindaC said...

Your cards are very nice. Thanks for sharing. LC

Yvonne said...

Great cards!

lois said...

Those were some cute cards. Thanks for sharing Catherine!

Gail S. said...

It's so hard to think Christmas when it is 91 degrees out but it adds a little bit of excitement that it is just around the corner. What beautiful cards - I am a sucker for vintage and love this look!!

Erika M. said...

I'm just loving your cards!!!

Paben said...

Beautifully done cards Cat!I don't want to think of Winter yet after being snowed in so much last year,so love that you left us with the flower to view!

Linda Woerth said...

great cards, thanks for sharing

NanaBeth said...

Gorgeous cards-definitely bookmarking your blog so I can visit frequently.

Staci said...

Beautiful Christmas cards! Every year, about this time, I think to myself, I need to get started on my cards for Christmas. But it never fails, I'm usually halfway into December before I actually do anything.

klasickewpie said...

Beautiful cards, and I like your touch using the German scraps.

A Vintage Chic said...

Hi, Cat! I met you with Vicki at CHA last winter--Vicki, Sandy & I went out to dinner with you and Nat...it was so nice to meet you!

I remember we talked about sewing on paper, which I'd never done before--well, I have now, thanks to you!

Love all your cards--need to get started on my Christmas, too.

Nice to "see" you again!

Julie

Mr Lonely said...

nice blog.. have a view of my blog when free.. http://www.lonelyreload.blogspot.com .. do leave me some comment / guide if can.. if interested can follow my blog...

kathy/North Carolina said...

These are GORGEOUS!!!! Like you, I'm a big fan of K & Co and Brenda Walton, in particular. Oh, and Joann's.....they take a good chunk of my money!!! Thanks so much!

stampqueen said...

What a great bunch of cards!!! I hav e been doing alot of Xmas cards this summer - more than I have ever done in the summer before(course this has been one of the hottest summers here in Fl where I live that I can remember...)

Grace said...

Wonderful cards...you make it look so easy!

Linda said...

You're right...Christmas will be here before we know it! These are gorgeous!

Yvonne said...

Great easy cards!

Annie said...

Beautiful! Makes me want to break out the Christmas supplies and get moving!

Artist said...

I like your cards, Catherine, they look amazing. I just started to create card art. I am painting through synesthesia which makes me see colors when I hear names and numbers. These colors I transform in paintings. Colors are my life.

Bev said...

Nice to meet you Cat! Glad to get to know a little more about you...I stop by your blog on occasion. I love the cards you made. Thanks for sharing your talent!
Bev

Rbarakat said...

Great projects - I wouldve thought they took much longer than you are describing!

starqueen said...

Hey Cat,
I love that you can take that package of die-cuts and make such beautiful, detailed cards. I think if I started them before breakfast I might be fasting that day! Your work is exquisite! I'm looking forward to visiting you in blog-land, too!
Thank you for sharing!

Jana said...

Beautiful cards.

Char- The Mad Shopper said...

Love your Christmas cards.

MYLIFEMYPUGSMYSCRAPBOOK said...

Those cards are beautiful and I especiallyl love the last one with the vintage santa. Thanks for sharing you techniques with us! You are extremely talanted!!

Denise said...

Beautiful cards, Catherine! I'll be checking out your blog too! Thanks for sharing your art with us!
DeniseB

1CardCreator said...

Thanks Vicki for spotlighting all 3 of these talented ladies. Their work is awesome and I found 3 new blogs to follow! ~Diane

DeniseLynn said...

Cat, I've followed your blog for some time now ... I think it was right after I found Vicki. So nice to see you here {I had to come back and check it out cuz I was gone so much this week}

Marlene (cards4u) said...

Great cards - love the blue and red!! Thanks for sharing all the details! Also if anyone gets a chance to take a class with Cat on MCC - jump on it! She has wonderful videos (or whatever you call them nowadays) and handouts filled with great info and inspiration : )

Elly-My Everyday Things said...

Hi Catherine! Of course I'm coming to visit your blog! Your cards are awesome! (even it's Christmas in August!)
Have a great Sunday!

Maria said...

Beautiful cards, thanks for sharing.