Friday, August 20, 2010

Guest Blogger Natalie Kalbach

My name is Nat Kalbach and I’m a Mixed Media Artist and Scrapbooker living in the second biggest city of Germany - in Hamburg. I love to design, teach and write - doing all of it wholeheartedly. Well...besides working as a paralegal in a big mostly legal aid handling law office. I am on several Design Teams - including the two that I share with Vicki :) Tattered Angels and SCRAPBOOK ADHESIVES by 3L™. I also love to teach and travel like Vicki a lot around to do so.



Living in the heart of the city in an art&craft- thriven neighborhood, I get inspired by my urban sourrounding. I have a big heart for Graffiti and tend to take a lot of pictures of Street Art which I later on include in my layouts and designs.


When Vicki asked me to write a guest design post I knew exactly what I wanted to write :) I want to write how much she and ...for that matter Cat who posted yesterday influenced me and inspired me - and they still do!
I started scrapbooking in Fall 2004 after I got married in the States and I wanted to do something special with the wedding pictures. My husband asked me why I wouldn't do a Scrapbook and I had now idea what he was talking about since that hobby hadn't hit Germany in full force yet. So I did some research, loved the idea, found a big wellknown scrapbooking website in the states and it didn't took to long until I found a kit club where Vicki and Cat where both on the Design-Team for. The Kit Club was different back then from most of the exisiting one - it had each month a special feature on a technique and included tools or materials for this technique in their kits and on top they had a newsletter where each designteam member talked about the techniques they used and how to and showed their projects. It was STUNNING. I totally loved the idea of techniques and I still love to try out new things and do my own embellishments or backgrounds.



I remember that each month I would impatiently await my kit - often had to go to the customs and get it out of there with an extra payment of duty - and open it and ahhiiinng- and oohhinng mostly over Vicki's and Cat's projects. They were ...and they are still - just so geniune and on the messageboard and the gallery they were helpful, inspiring and pushing the members forward. It took me a couple months until I was even able to cut the papers and show my work in a gallery. My very first scrapbooking layout had machine stitching on it...speaking of being inspired - LOL. (I would say that was Cat's thing- cause she wrote the most amazing book with Stitching Projects!).
In 2006 I even interviewed them both for my blog...here is the link to Vicki's interview- can you believe it is four years ago? http://www.scrapbook-trends.com/?p=24And here is the one with Cat http://www.scrapbook-trends.com/?p=133 Many people wonder why I'm so drawn to techniques and how it came that I include them in my layouts- and all I can say is "It is all Vicki's and Cat's fault" LOL! I mean- hey...I learned how to use stencil paste on my layouts when I was just scrapping for a couple weeks ;)


Can you imagine how much it meant for me to meet my sweet muses :) at the Winter CHA 2010?


I was sooo sooo excited and it makes me still so happy that those two were the motor and driving for my creative adventure. They are wonderful people and I want to say thank you for everything you two ever did for me!
Love ya :)
edited by Vicki...
** remember to leave a comment in any or all three posts (Thurs, Fri, or Sat) with Guest Bloggers... to have your name put in the hat for giveaways.
3 different giveaways .. one each day! I'll post announcing the winners Sunday evening.

34 comments:

Linda said...

Natalie I love your style. This fabric flower is gorgeous!

Yvonne said...

Love the flower!

A Vintage Chic said...

Hi, Nat! So great to read about your start--you're pretty inspiring, too, you know! I always love seeing the different elements you add to your work. Glad I got to meet you and Cat at CHA, too!

Hope you're having a wonderful day!

Julie

lois said...

OOoooh Natalie: I LOVE LOVE LOVE your Altered Shadow Box Frame. You always do "yummy" work! Welcome and I love this little fabric flower as well.

Paben said...

Well Natalie,I have heard a lot about you from Vic,She's my cousin and best friend!I used to look at all Vic's,Cat's and your Designs on Scrap Muse when you were all there.I love that your style is edgy but still beautiful.I too,love that Fabric Flower,Awesome!

DeniseLynn said...

HI Natalie! Nice to meet you. I love hearing how other artists find inspiration ... I agree Cat and Vicki are fabulous. I'll be sure to stop by your blog, I love the flower and look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

harrahx2 said...

Natalie, I totally agree with you. I love Vicki and she is such a wonderful and caring person. I have not even met her in person but still maintain a close friendship with her. She is a special lady. I have come to know Cat's work through Vicki! Now I look forward to getting to know your work also. Hugs and thanks so much for sharing.

Erika M. said...

Wow what an awesome story and I'm so glad you were introduced to this wonderful creative process!

NanaBeth said...

What a beautiful tribute. Your work is amazing-think I had better check out some of the books about techniques. I've always been afraid to try but now I feel like I am really missing something.

Bev said...

Glad to meet you Natalie. Love those flowers! Thanks for sharing a little about you.
Bev

Catherine said...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwww Nat, what a sweet post!! THANK you for sharing all that!

Gail S. said...

Nat - loved reading your story!! Keep creating :)

LindaC said...

Scrapbooking has brought so many people together...Vicki has definitely influenced my art...and I love your flower.

klasickewpie said...

Welcome Nat! Your flower and altered art piece are just lovely! I'm with you on absorbing as much as I can regarding techniques. Can never get enough of learning new (or refreshing my aging mind on old techniques too).

Rbarakat said...

I love that flower!!TFS!

starqueen said...

It's so great to meet you Nat. Your creativity and original style show through your work...and I completely understand how inspired you are by Vicki and Cat. I love seeing their creations and I'll look forward to seeing yours now too! Thank you for sharing!

Jana said...

The flower is amazing, so creative.

Susie said...

Natalie, I SO enjoyed your post. I loved reading about how you started papercrafting...and how others influenced you, along your journey. And, that is such a pretty flower!

nannyj said...

Natilie, enjoyed reading about you got started. My muse was Linda..still inspires me. Loved the fabric flower. Looking for more from you.

Mickie said...

I remember when I started scrapping and fell in love with it! Good luck with your hobby and looking forward to seeing your work.

debbiek said...

I loved reading your story of how you starting your scrapbooking adventure, Nat! Very interesting to hear about someone living in Germany (my grandparent's homeland). Your flower is just too cute:) I too am blown away with Vicki (and Cat's) blogs and artwork. They both are sooooooo inspirational, aren't they? I need them every day for a jump start on creativity. So happy for you that you got to meet them in person. Hope to do so myself someday....

Annie said...

Wow! What a beautiful and inspiring blog! It was fun to read how you got started in scrapbooking.

Char- The Mad Shopper said...

Thanks for sharing your inspirational story.

kathy/North Carolina said...

Wowsers....love that fabric flower! It rocks!!!!

Country Liv . . . said...

I am so pleased to meet you! I totally understand your fascination and awe of Vicki and Cat; I am a digital scrapbooker and still follow my dear Vic's blog to get inspiration for my digital designing! Isn't it wonderful to be able to have friends from all around the world that have the same interests, and values that we have? Best of luck to you in your future endeavors and thanks for the great story about Vic and Cat!

MYLIFEMYPUGSMYSCRAPBOOK said...

What a great project and flower, both are so unique and detailed. And what an awesome story about Vicki and Cat thanks so much for sharing that with us. Sounds like they are both very special to you! : )

Denise said...

Love that flower and all its texture! Looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing your art with us Natalie!
DeniseB

Sandy said...

Terrific flower! LOVE your style!

1CardCreator said...

Hi Natalie, it is so nice to read about you and your start in crafting. Your work is inspirational I love the handmade flower, so cool. ~Diane

Marlene (cards4u) said...

Love your work!! Isn't it great to have such wonderful friends!

Elly-My Everyday Things said...

Hi Nat, nice meeting you! Like you, I'm always very inspired by Vicki!
I love the flower you made, it's time to hop over to your blog!
Have a lovely sunday!

Maria said...

Gorgeous flower, I love it!

Mrsro said...

Natalie your fabric flower is beautiful...I'm really into utilizing various fabrics/materials into flowers now. I look forward to seeing more of your creations!!

- Sheri

Jane Wetzel said...

Wow Natalie- GORGEOUS shadow box and what a terrific story! Thanks for sharing and posting for us all!