Friday, August 27, 2010

How about a color challenge?

hmmmm... .. again the subject of COLOR is on my mind. Funny how the simplest things in my daily life .. bring me to decide what I'm going to blog about. Today it was mouthwash and Aloe Vera. lol
I know that sounds weird ..but I was brushing my teeth this morning and the light sunlight was shining on the bathroom counter. The green and blue in these bottles was SO vibrant and beautiful it just kept catching my eye. Silly as it might sound.. they really were pretty. Again that made me start thinking about how much color influences what create...( maybe even how we feel?)

I have certain colors I tend to lean towards when creating. And after doing this blog post.... I've decided to challenge myself ( a... and you)to step out of that "Color Comfort Zone" and try using some different colors ( and or different color combos). You know .. I've been trying to drag you along with me, on this mission to step out of my safe zone. ha... Really I have to say I love a challenge.. and I love to push myself to try something new. I've challenged you before to try a different style.. something different for you.. and that was fun. right? lol Okay... so how about a color challenge? Read on..... at the bottom at the post you'll see some color combo's for the challenge.
But before then... I thought I'd share with you some info I found about COLORS. I was editing photos today, with this challenge in the back of my mind... so I decided to incorporate some of the COLOR in my photo files.

The Color Psychology of Purple
Purple is the symbol of royalty and wealth.
Purple also represents wisdom and spirituality.

The Color Psychology of White
White represents purity or innocence.
White is bright and can create a sense of space or add highlights.
White is also described as cold, bland, and sterile. Rooms painted completely white can seem spacious, but empty and unfriendly. Hospitals and hospital workers use white to create a sense of sterility.


The Color Psychology of Blue
Blue is described as a favorite color by many people and is the color most preferred by men.
Blue calls to mind feelings of calmness or serenity. It is often described as peaceful, tranquil, secure, and orderly.
Blue can also create feelings of sadness or aloofness.
Blue is often used to decorate offices because research has shown that people are more productive in blue rooms.
Blue is one of the most popular colors, but it is one of the least appetizing. Some weight loss plans even recommend eating your food off of a blue plate. Blue rarely occurs naturally in food aside from blueberries and some plums. Also, humans are geared to avoid foods that are poisonous and blue coloring in food is often a sign of spoilage or poison.
Blue can also lower the pulse rate and body temperature.
.

The Color Psychology of Black
Black absorbs all light in the color spectrum.
Black is often used as a symbol of menace or evil, but it is also popular as an indicator of power.
Black is associated with death and mourning in many cultures. It is also associated with unhappiness, sexuality, formality, and sophistication.
In ancient Egypt, black represented life and rebirth.
Black is often used in fashion because of its slimming quality.

The Color Psychology of Yellow
Yellow is a bright that is often described as cheery and warm.
Yellow is also the most fatiguing to the eye due to the high amount of light that is reflected. Using yellow as a background on paper or computer monitors can lead to eyestrain or vision loss in extreme cases.
Yellow can also create feelings of frustration and anger. While it is considered a cheerful color, people are more likely to lose their tempers in yellow rooms and babies tend to cry more in yellow rooms.
Yellow can also increase the metabolism.
Since yellow is the most visible color, it is also the most attention-getting color.




The Color Psychology of Brown
Brown is a natural color that evokes a sense of strength and reliability.
Brown can also create feelings of sadness and isolation.
Brown brings to mind feeling of warmth, comfort, and security. It is often described as natural, down-to-earth, and conventional, but brown can also be sophisticated.


The color psychology of Red
Red has guts .... deep, strong, dramatic. A geranium red. A Goya red ... to be used like gold for furnishing a house ... for clothes, it is strong, like black or white. - Valentino
Red is a bright, warm color that evokes strong emotions.
Red is associated with love, warmth, and comfort.
Red is also considered an intense, or even angry, color that creates feelings of excitement or intensity.

The Color Psychology of Green
Green is a cool color that symbolizes nature and the natural world.
Green also represents tranquility, good luck, health, and jealousy.
Researchers have also found that green can improve reading ability. Some students may find that laying a transparent sheet of green paper over reading material increases reading speed and comprehension.
Green has long been a symbol of fertility and was once the preferred color choice for wedding gowns in the 15th-century.
Green is often used in decorating for its calming effect. For example, guests waiting to appear on television programs often wait in a “green room” to relax.
Green is thought to relieve stress and help heal. Those who have a green work environment experience fewer stomachaches.

The Color Psychology of Orange
Orange is a combination of yellow and red and is considered an energetic color.
Orange calls to mind feelings of excitement, enthusiasm, and warmth.
Orange is often used to draw attention, such as in traffic signs and advertising




The Color Psychology of Pink
Pink is essentially a light red and is usually associated with love and romance.
Pink is thought to have a calming effect. One shade known as "drunk-tank pink" is sometimes used in prisons to calm inmates. Sports teams sometimes paint the opposing teams locker room pink to keep the players passive and less energetic.
While pink's calming effect has been demonstrated, researchers of color psychology have found that this effect only occurs during the initial exposure to the color. When used in prisons, inmates often become even more agitated once they become accustomed to the color

_____________________________
Well, you can take all that for what it's worth..lol.. but I thought it was interesting anyway. As I look around my room... It obvious what colors and color combos I lean towards. lol

You don't see it as much here.. in this room..but all my life "green" has been my favorite color. Not all greens..but I love certain shades like "olive green" or the lighter shades you see in these photos. PINK is also a favorite... (I know..you could have guessed right?) lol. I also love that pretty Robin's egg blue color...but otherwise not a huge fan of blue over all.
As for some of the other rooms in the house ( that I am happy with right now). Livingroom-golds(camel hair), browns, punches of turquoise and dark red. Kitchen- Yellow, Red, accents of vintage blue, Bedroom, Brown and Robins egg blue. Bathroom -sage green and white .
Vintage ,pink, blue and green would defiantly been a favorite combo... but I also totally love Fall colors.
You will rarely ever see me use purple. Not a favorite.

I'd love to hear what your favorite colors are.

Okay.... I've told all my COLOR secrets... now back to the challenge. I'd love to have you challenge yourself and play along. If you do... and you want.. send me a link to your blog and I'll link you here on my blog next Friday when I post what I make using one of these different color combos. It can be a layout, card, altered project.. whatever. It doesn't have to be anything over the top .. or super time consuming... just a little challenge for fun.
Here is my email. vickichrisman@hotmail.com
just send me your link by Thursday night (Sept 2nd) and I'll link to you in my blog on Friday the 3rd.
I just went through my photo files and pulled together some color combos.. so all you have to do is pick one (or more), make something using the color combo you choose and send my your blog link.( Let me know which number you choose)
I hope you'll play. It's open to everyone.

Challenge yourself with color!



Sure hope I've convinced you to play along.
Remember ... I'd love you to tell me your favorite color or colors.
Have a fantastic weekend!

13 comments:

A Vintage Chic said...

How beautiful, Vicki! I'd love to play along! Thanks for the invite!

Hope you're having a great weekend, my friend!

Julie

kathy/North Carolina said...

How do we play if we don't have a blog?

MYLIFEMYPUGSMYSCRAPBOOK said...

Oh I love this post, I'm so into what colors mean! So funny that you don't really like purple and that has been my fav color since forever haha. When I was young and finally had my "own" room which took quite awhile considering I was the youngest of 8, I finally got to have my purple room and it stayed that way until well I was 23 and moved out. Then my mom painted it Pink, her favorite color. Now Dan LOVES green when I first met him 11yrs ago almost every single shirt in his closet was green lol. I also really love blue, I think because it's a color that helps make purple I don't know. But we've decided to compromise with our kitchen when we redo it and it's going to be green(like an olive green and purple) with an Italian theme since Dan is Italian with the grapes and the vines etc. I may do those colors as accents and have the walls a soft creamy-beige color I think.

I'm definately going to try your color challenge, I think I tend to go towards pink cause there is so much out there with pink. So going to try one of the combos that doesn't have pink to challenge myself.

Also got my prize in the mail yesterday THANK YOU SOOOOO Much! You are so sweet and I will use it all!!! Thanks again! Have a great weekend

mindy said...

Love your blog today! I'm all about the color. It's funny how we go thru different color phases of our life. I'm in an orange phase right now. Orange and green. Thanks for sharing!

Pam said...

Beautiful photo's Vicki!
Your challenge sounds fun, I'll try my darndest :)

Angela said...

What a cool idea Vicki...I'm going to try and take your challenge!! Angela

1CardCreator said...

Thanks for the lesson in colors I loved it! I just came back from buying paint, a very pale yellow for my kitchen. Uh oh! I hope it boosts my metabolism without making me angry, frustrated or a cry baby. lol This was really interesting. ~Diane

Debby said...

What a beautiful post. That took time and thought. Thanks for sharing.

harrahx2 said...

I may just have to make you a card! Love all the photos and my favorite colors are usually the colors of all or the pale colors of spring............Total opposites? Hugs.

Marlene (cards4u) said...

Thank you for this great post full of wonderful info and pictures! Our youngest goes back to school Monday who knows I might get to play? Still will have another at home who I will be taking back and forth to field hockey. I am basically an earth tone kind of gal, then pastels so combo 3 would probably be the most out of my comfort zone : ) Have A Great Weekend!

DeniseLynn said...

So fun to read the story behind the color! My very fave is orange. I simply adore fall colors. My kitchen is my favorite room in the house because it's orange, green and yellow {with a touch of eggplant purple}.

Jane Wetzel said...

hey there Vicki- THIS will be a real challenge for me IF I can get it together to play..I am addicted to earthy/fall colors and have a hard time getting away! ha ha! LOVE all this info you have posted! My kitchen is actually a mustard color with black appliances..weird..I know..I have browns in my living room with a red couch... :) I once painted my dd room dark blue and we put stars and smoky clouds all over..:) She is moved out so it mite be time to change..Find myself ADDICTED to your blog tho!! he he he...hugs, jane

Precious Treasures said...

Love it, did you write all of that? It should be in a book.