Sunday, August 08, 2010

Suitcase makeover dog bed

Just goes to prove.. you never know what you might fine when you come here. lol Well I had to share with you. .the finished bed. If you didn't see the post about me wanting to redo this old suitcase into a dog bed , you can see it HERE.

It started out as a old disguarded suitcase my mom had set out for the trash man to pick up. I got the brown packing tape off of it and used goo gone to remove the sticky residue. Wiped it down,and vacuumed it out.
I had seen smaller dog beds made from suitcases before like these.
CUTEST ever ( with legs)
Vintage suitcase doggie beds
Recycled Dog bed to suitcase
trunk doggie bed
Cute one.. ( love how you can use the pocket to hold their toys) lol
One more

I wasn't really sure how it was all going to work out so I didn't want to invest alot of money into it so... I went looking for legs first. These simple wood legs were on clearance for $1.39 each.
Instead of painting them.. I just sprayed them with Glimmer Mist. "Sugar Maple" was a great match for the color of the suitcase. Glimmer Mist works great on unfinished wood. I just let it dry and I'm good to go. I have never sealed it with anything on past wood projects, and never had a problem. I certainly doesn't rub off. I soaks right into the wood and dries quickly. So easy!

When I got the legs I also picked up 4 of these Mounting Plates for the legs to screw into. $2.30 each.


I had Dan do this part... (simply because he's handy that way) lol

I used an old pillow for the inside, and just made a cover for this that can be taken off and washed.
Time to add a bit of this and that. I really want Aly to USE this, so I didn't want to made it to "foofy". I actually did like, just the plain background material what was in the suitcase..but I added this old ledger paper and photo. I can take it out at any time if I decide to. The photo is just a old "house photo" that tickles me. I don't even know who it is.. but I love it. I printed off the "Home Sweet Home" and added it to the bottom of the photo.
I mean if your going to make a old suitcase into a dog bed.. I guess you can put whatever weird thing you want in it right? lol ( People are probably wondering about you at this point anyway.) ha

Aly is defiantly our princess.. so a little trim and a crown is a "must have". lol

Below is how the legs look after they are attached.

I think she likes it.


If you have a furry four legged friend and and old suitcase.... Have a little fun!

30 comments:

Lisa M. Pace said...

ADORABLE!!! She looks so sweet.

Shelly said...

Vicki, that is CRAZY cool! Love it!

~shelly

Linda B said...

Very cute!

jan said...

How fun!

Debby said...

So cute. She loves it.
Ahhhhh.

LindaC said...

That's a hoot!

Precious Treasures said...

I would ned a giant suitcase for my dogs! That is such an awesome idea.

A Vintage Chic said...

Lucky Aly! Looks like she's pretty happy in her princess bed, Vicki--you're such a clever girl!

Hope your weekend has been wonderful!

Julie

stampqueen said...

Aakkk - TOTALLY AWSOME!!!!! I so gotta do this. Truethfully my ol dog would probably roll his nose up but my sweet old cat would love a small one!!!! I want to do a big one and a small one......just because!!!

Nat said...

this is sooo cute!!! I love it!

Kim Sonksen said...

Actually I think yours is the cutest out of the lot! Seriously, the one you did for Aly is one I would want to live in :))))

Debby Schuh said...

This is one of the cutest things I have ever seen! Love it!!

Jane Wetzel said...

Amazingly cute! I will definitly case this dog bed! LOVE IT!

mindy said...

that bed is the envy of all dogs!

Paper Boutique said...

Oh Vicki, this is positevely ADORABLE and she fits in there like a queen!

Bernadette Bliss said...

I Love it and agree with Kim S., yours is the best of all I saw on the web. Maybe making dog beds is in your future!!!

MYLIFEMYPUGSMYSCRAPBOOK said...

That bed is super cute and I love Aly! Just a beautiful old girl. My Budha pug who was a rescue is my "old" girl with all the grey/white fur on top of her black coat. I think i will be on the hunt for an old suit case as I know my Bu Bu would just love it! Thanks for sharing, Aly looks like she LOVES it! : )

Carla said...

Vicki, I always read your blog, but I rarely come on over and comment. I just had to stop by and tell you how adorable this is! I love it! You are such a treasure!

Cindy Tobey said...

How fun! Love it Vicki!

debbiek said...

Ms. Vicki, this is sooooooo stinkin' cute! Love it and I'll bet Ally does too from the looks of it. Lucky dog to be so loved:)

Summerthyme Studio said...

Vicki, this is PRECIOUS!!!!! Ohh and looks very cozy too!

Vicki

Steph said...

Wow - I love that Idea! I have a little dog that loves to sleep on the floor next to my bed- I might have to try making one of these- thanks for the idea-
Steph
Simplyliving.blogspot.com

harrahx2 said...

I think you just created that $1800 dog bed. That is so cool. You saved $1980 just by using your wonderful talent. You are so clever.

Paben said...

That turned out so cute,I want to sleep in it!lol!You just rocked it!

Michele said...

You seriously ROCK sistah!!! Such a fun cute idea!

Thanh Vo said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh-lyyyyyyyy. She looks so comfy!!! :D xo from Canada

Dawn said...

This is a very classy DOG BED! what a great idea Next time i see one in a charity shop I may get it and make it for my cats (so need a small one) what a fabby idea

Love Dwn xx

Anonymous said...

What a loveley idea! that's just what I like to have for my frenchy as a new bed :-)
But please let me know: how did you fixed the suitcase cover? My dog needs to "stamp down the grass" before he lays finally down and I am afraid the cover will fall on his head and than he never ever would go into the cute bed again...
Best regards from Germany, I love your Blog a lot!
Angelica

Rosie, Cole and Coco's chillspot said...

omg please tell me what kind of dog that is. We have a dog that looks JUST LIKE THAT! she's super cute, what's her name? :) Love the suitcase idea! thinking about making one myself. :D

dirtyduck said...

omgosh i love it!!!! did i miss how you made it so the lid doesnt fall?? ive been looking at these diy dog beds on the net and have only seen a few ideas on that. but YOURS has given me real inspiration!!