Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Got Scraps??

The other day when I was going through my large bin of scrap papers.. I was totally amazed at all the paper scraps in there that I still really really like. Although I cant resist wanting all the new latest and greatest goodies to hit the shelves, I really do try to use the older things.. because I still really like so many of them.   This week I have taken that to a new level. lol  You'll understand as you read further down in the post.  


First I'll start by sharing one of the projects I did using Tattered Angels Products this month.  The frame is from the Postage Stamp Framed Fonts.  The cat is a stamp from the Halloween stamp set. I stamped it on black cardstock and embossed it with gold embossing powder. I added part of one of the calling cards from TA, to the back of the frame along with some old book print, and filled it with crystal lacquer. The color of Glimmer Mist I used on the chipboard frame was Harvest Orange.


The wood plaque below originally said "welcome" on it..but was on a clearance table for $2.77 at Hobby Lobby.  It's nice and sturdy.. so it was great to alter.   Here's where the use of random paper scraps started to kick in again. lol    The chipboard frames and letters are Regal Framed Fonts from Tattered Angels.



If you have never used Tattered Angels embossed Chipboard pieces.. you will love them. Give them a try. See how you can rub your ink pad over them to really bring out the embossed design on them?  Beautiful!
If that isn't enough.. they are all self adhesive on the backs. Easy Peasy!



Just had to toss in another photo.   These are some of my new mums for the front porch.


After I did the wreath last week that I gave to mom.. I decided to dig through my paper scraps bin(ONCE AGAIN), and make some pinwheel flowers for the weath I alread had up.  Although my wreath is outside on the front of the house.. it's under the long front porch.. so I'm not to worried about rain ect ruining it. I used pieces of fine wire to attach the pinwheels to the wreath. so I can remove them before storing the wreath  away easily.    Since I don't have much time into them and I just used paper scraps, I might  just discard them at the end of season anyway.  I'll just change it up with something different next year.


Scraps ,Scraps and more Scraps.  Here's where I got a little nuts. lol   I decided while I had the scraps out and my Wizard out .. I'd just CUT and CUT.. so I did.   I have been wanting to make some things to send to loved ones anyway.. so I just went to down.   Each one is just a little different from the other.


If your anything like me.. if you have lots of random papers , you probably have lots of random Chipboard letters right? lol... So I dug those out and used them also.


Some I used gems, others glitter, buttons , stamps, ect.  I like to make more than one of something if I can change it up enough to keep it interesting.  This was super relaxing, I just worked on them while I was watching (listening) to TV.
I have them all finished and mailed off already.

I am really enjoying this cooler weather.  Like I said the other day, I have been spending more time in the kitchen.. cooking , (and baking a little too), to put some things in the freezer.

I mentioned the other day that a had made Chicken Tortilla Casserole. Some of you can asked me to share the recipe.  My sis gave me this recipe years ago, and I've made it time and time again.  It's so easy to make and one of those casseroles that is perfect because you can make it ahead.  I can tell you one thing, It was great when we had to teenage boys living at home. ( I always made a double batch. It freezes well)   I serve it with shredded lettuce, salsa and sourcream. (black olives on top of casserole optional).. for my family.. YES to black olives.  

Chicken Tortilla Casserole

1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 cups cooked
shredded chicken
1 (4-ounce can) diced mild green chilies
 (I like to add a Tablespoon of Cilantro also)
1 small onion, diced
1 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 dozen 12-inch flour tortillas
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
    Combine the soups
    , chicken, green chilies, onion and sour cream in a medium size bowl. Set aside.
  2. Stack and cut tortillas into bite size pieces and layer 1/3 onto the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking dish. Layer chicken mixture on top, then a layer of cheddar cheese. Repeat two additional times, ending with cheese on the top layer.
  3. Bake for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Allow to set for 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.


When I went to make banana muffins, for some reason couldn't find my usual recipe in my recipe box.. so I tried a new one. SO easy and you don't even need to get out the mixer.  I was really happy with them. I think I like them even better than my regular recipe.  Thought I'd share that one also. here you go

 Banana Bread Recipe

Ingredients
3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
1/3 cup melted butter
...1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour


 No need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

(I do mine as muffins. I sprinkle a bit of cinn and sugar mixture on top and a few walnuts to the batter and the top of the muffins)


Yes.. it's defiantly FALL!  Bake some muffins and have a cup of cider and your set. lol

**  My neice Kiley and I are going to see my favorite band play tonght.  Yep.. their tour has brought them to NE once again. lol It's usually twice a year that they have shows in Omaha(summer and winter) ..but now they are doing one extra.. in Lincoln.  hmmm.. can you guess the band ? lol **

16 comments:

A Vintage Chic said...

Yea, Vicki....I think I can guess the band! So glad you get to see them again so soon!

LOVE all the beautiful garlands & wreaths you're making! Lucky family! You keep inspiring me to do things I don't normally do--thanks so much!

Chicken Tortilla Casserole is one of my very favorite dinners--love it! I have my mom's recipe I always make, so now I'm gonna try yours--change is good!

Hope you have a wonderful fall day tomorrow and have SUCH a great time with RC!

Julie

LindaC said...

Great blog post....a little bit of everything...fall, decorations, crafts, food, music, farming! I am going to make the casserole. My guys will love it! Hope you have a good time at the concert. LC

debbiek said...

Oh...Ms. Vicki, those projects are sooooo dang cute! Do you ever sleep, woman?!...lol. Your recipes sound so good, especially the banana bread. Now that you have my mouth watering, I'll have to go bake some:)

Have a wonderful weekend!!!
- DebbieK

MYLIFEMYPUGSMYSCRAPBOOK said...

Love the fall banners they are so pretty. And each one so unique! Great idea to use up your scraps, I think I will make one this weekend or maybe a couple I already have a few places in mind that i could hang them! Thanks for the inspiration and always taking the time to share with us!!

MYLIFEMYPUGSMYSCRAPBOOK said...

Hi Vicki,

I wanted to pop back on and show you these stamps that I ran across just by chance that I thought you might like. They are pretty cute : )
http://www.ohmycrafts.com/our-craft-lounge-crafty-cling-rubber-stamps-bountiful-harvest.aspx

Jan said...

Num!! I may have to give this casserole a try! Sounds delish! You Autumn banners and decor are so inspirational and I love decorating for Fall :)
Enjoy the band tonight :)

Pearl Maple said...

Great post celebrating the season, the wreath is great fun

harrahx2 said...

Hmmmm. Let's see, it the band, by any chance The Beatles? Or maybe Roger and friends??? LOL
Vicki, I love the swags. They are so beautiful. You are just too clever. Hugs.

Gail S. said...

Yes to Black Olives!! Love the two recipes and the wonderful fall creations you made. Nebraska fall is the best. Combines out in the fields, leaves turning colors, the beautiful red sumac and the cool nights and beautiful temps during the day. Have a great time at the concert.

Rbarakat said...

Dang girl you even make scraps look good!!!Have a great weekend!

kathy/North Carolina said...

I just love those little banners! Absolutely darling! And thanks for the casserole recipe. YUM!

mindy said...

Hi Vicki...especially loved your post today. The garlands were so cute and inspired me to "dig" thru all my scraps and see what I can come up with!!

Going to try the recipe too. Any recipe with "cream of anything", cheese and sour cream has got to be good!

Keep up the wonderful work....

Mindy in Central Fla.

1CardCreator said...

Beautiful wreaths and banners. Love those recipes too. ~Diane

Anonymous said...

Your scrap creations are wonderful and your family will be lucky to
receive one of them!

Exceptionally great blog!

Thanks, Cheryl

Susie said...

Vicki...I just love your blog! You share such a variety of things with us readers. Projects, photos, recipes...the list goes on. And you writing style seems to draw me in every time I "drop in"

Thanks so much for sharing!

stampqueen said...

What a great bunch of garlands - you were difinatly in the zone!!!
Beautiful!!!
The pics of your mums are wonderful too.