Thursday, September 16, 2010

"Guesting" for Vicki ! :)

Hi! wow...pretty awesome to be "guesting" for Vicki!  My name is Jane Wetzel  (anythingbutplainjane.blogspot) and I am an AVID follower of Vicki's blog!  Suppose I dont have to explain that I sit here with my tea in the morn and read her blog first!  She is an awesome chic and designer and feel like I have known her 4-ever!  Being from Ohio I just decided that I would tell you all bout a little trip I just took.  Funny...Vicki just posted about taking that little ride and finding that cemetery- :)  Hub and I just took his dad down to southern Ohio for his HS class reunion! Mind you ...he is 94!  It is always Labor day wkend and there are 3 people left that he meets with for lunch first then he goes off to the regular reunion which includes several grades.  He is the oldest there tho!  So we dropped him off and went on to search for this little cemetery where one of the ancestors is suppose to be buried.  Well, we found it in Carrolton Ohio.  We named our youngest son after this ancestor- Jake Wetzel.  He was orphaned at the age of 9 yrs and raised himself!!  He then went on to be a HERO in the Civil war.  As we were walking thru this cemetery we came across the most interesting head stones...ever look at some VERY old head stones?  This one caught my eye...in the shape of a tree with a vine!  The man must have loved his wife so much...he engraved how long they were married to the day!  Then check out these weird Lions !  Who would put a stone like that on a grave?-  On to the little town center of Carrolton Ohio- where we found this cute little store called "paperworks"  check out the cute clothes pins and paper clips!  Adorable!  Back at the reunion we ate with my fil, watched him get recognized and  clapped and strolled around looking at the old pics and stuff on the tables.  We found his grad pic - (he was a twin to a girl)  and his sister's pic on the basketball team! (2nd from left)   We even found the old score book from HIS basketball team!  Awesome stuff! The stories he tells us are really amazing and actually seeing him so happy when he goes every year is heart warming!  Thanks for Looking today!  and Thanks Vicki for the "guest spot" :)

10 comments:

Vicki C said...

Loved this post Jane. I was sitting here in my hotel room and looking back at the photos..thinking they are SO cool! Arent you just so thrilled to have those?? Thank you so much for guest blogging while I was gone.. and for sharing this great story (with awesome photos!)

A Vintage Chic said...

Wonderful post, Jane! Family history is a subject I love dearly, so this was so much fun for me to read!

The headstones are fabulous! I don't know how many cool photos I have from cemeteries...some headstones from the 1600's in Massachusetts!

Hope you're having a wonderful night!

Nathalie Kalbach said...

What a wonderful post! Love all the images and the amazing photos! Thanks for sharing!

MYLIFEMYPUGSMYSCRAPBOOK said...

What a really neat story! I love the old pics and so awesome that you found that grave stone. Amazing stories out there esp about the 9yr old who raised himself then became a Civil War hero just awesome history. The kinda history I love to read about (not the history in the school books that stuff bored me to death lol) Jane thanks so much for sharing the pics and the story with us!! : )

LindaC said...

Great blog entry...enjoyed your story. LC

Susie said...

I loved your post Jane. It's so exciting to find these pieces of history, isn't it? The photos are wonderful. Such interesting headstones!

Elly-My Everyday Things said...

These old pics are amazing! I really love old family pics, they are so full of memories, tfs your story!

harrahx2 said...

Again, another friend of Vicki's that streams thoughts. I love how your write and share. Miss Vicki and enjoy her friends so much! Thanks for sharing!

Jan said...

beautiful decorating style and what gorgeous photography!!

starqueen said...

Hi Jane,
What a lovely story. Thanks for sharing your photos of your road trip!