Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Take a second look

Hey everyone!
Hope you had a great weekend. The weather was great here... perfect actually!
As I was getting this post together.. I was thinking how funny it is that I never really have to think about what I plan to blog about any more.. it just comes so naturally now. I'm sure there is a number of reasons for that... One.. because I've been doing it for so long now.. that it is just a part of my routine. Two.. because I know so many of you.. and you are so kind to me.. that I'm comfortable. It's like sitting down and chatting with friends. lol And three.. I realized that most of the time .. something happens either in my life or in my "paper crafting" world between posts..that inspires what I'm going to write about. It's usually not anything earth shattering or deep.. just things that make me go... hmmmmmm. It all just seems to just fall into place.
Again.. that's kind of what happened here.
If you've been coming here for any time at all, you've probably heard me say before , how much I love seeing people use things in a new or different way. Lots of times I think we move on to the latest, greatest TRENDS so quickly.. we don't take time to think about using some of the things we already have.. maybe using them in a different way. Now THAT is being creative.
**
As you can imagine... I am a "saver". I save everything .. thinking someday.. I'm going to need it. Alot of the time I do use those random things. really I do. lol ( do I have you convinced?)
A couple of weeks ago when I was cleaning and purging.. I got rid of alot of stuff. I'm so glad I didn't run across this bag of bottle caps then... because I'm pretty sure I would have gotten rid of them. But when I ran across them yesterday.. I looked at them differently. I thought the bigger ones actually looked like mini fluted baking pans. (stop laughing). I grabbed the bag of bottle caps, a sheet of Crafty Secrets "Domestic Goddess" Creative Scraps, and a couple of punches. My mission began!

The cutest darn retro refrigerator magnets in town!








I used only one sheet of Images for all the magnets I made.. and I still had a bunch left over.
"Domestic Goddess" Creative Scraps.



I've had these BIG oversized bottle caps for a long time. I think they were from Lil Davis?



As for that bag of bottle caps that have been sitting on the shelf for three years ....I used them all up! Now I wish I had more. lol I think they would make fun little gifts. Fun to attach .. say 4 or 6 of them to a really sturdy card.. and wrap them with clear wrap?



I just have these on a old cookie sheet to show them to you..but they look so cute on the frig!
( okay.. maybe not this many of them..but a few).




All you need are these things... ( oh .. and scissors) forgot those in the photo
These would work great with lots of Crafty Secrets images.. and would be a fun project for kids.

I first tried the round magnets..but thought them made them stand out from the frig to much.. so I just cute strips of magnet from the roll. Worked perfectly! If you used the round ones .. you can just hot glue them on to the backs fo the bottle caps.
I decided to use Scrapbook Adhesives by 3 L foam squares to lift them up a bit, instead of flat against the inside center of the bottle caps.
If you dont have the right size punches for your bottle caps.. just make a paper templet by tracing around the bottlecap and cutting it out with a scissors.
It was a really fun relaxing project, that didn't take long at all. (even though... I made alot of them). lol

So .. challenge yourself to look through your stash.. and see what "crafting possibility" might be lurking in that stuff you pushed way to the back of your supply shelf. You might be surprised.

__________________________________________________
Since we are taking "Domestic Goddess"... I thought it would be a good day to share a recipe.
I'd love to show you the finished cookies.. but I don't have a photo of that.. and I dare not bake them .. because I wont leave them alone. lol This particular photo was already in my file.. and I love it , because it has my favorite big blue bowl in it. I use that bowl for everything I bake. And... my vintage Canister set that I found at "The Junction" a few years ago. {LOVE}
Actually this would be a good photo to scrapbook, after my last post about "Scraping the everyday things" hmmmm.. better get on that.

I used to make these so much when the kids were little I used to know it by heart. They are so yummy!

My Chocolate Chip Cookies
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup softened marg
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips ( I use "milk chocolate chips in mine)
really good with chopped walnuts in if you like them
*Combine first 6 ingredients, then add flour, soda and salt. Lastly.. stir in chips.
Drop by teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 8-10 minutes
_____________________________________________________


I wanted to share a few photos with you, that I took last night on my way down the county road to the house. I have been feeling "fall" in the air a bit more everyday.... and last night.. It seemed like the perfect cool fall evening. It was gorgeous!

Honestly.. I hope I never have to live in town again. Moving to the county was a great thing for us.. we love it.

each season has something beautiful to offer.


" Winter is an etching, Spring a watercolor, Summer an oil painting, and Autumn a mosaic of them all". Author: Stanley Horowitz
Enjoy your day friends

17 comments:

debbiek said...

Love your little magnets, Ms. Vicki. Great photos too:) The pix of your mixing bowl makes me want to bake some cookies...yum.

A Vintage Chic said...

Okay, Vicki--AWESOME idea with the bottle caps! I bought a huge bag full of un-used vintage bottle caps a couple of years ago, and I keep wondering why...I'm so going to copy you, my friend!

I also want to steal your canister set...beware!

I agree with you about the country...I hope we NEVER have to live in town again. We only live about 10 minutes out, but there's nothing like it, is there?

Hope your day is wonderful...

Julie

MYLIFEMYPUGSMYSCRAPBOOK said...

Very cute magnets, what a great idea! I do remember those bottle caps being around and never bought any because I thought they'd be too bulky in my scrapbook, lol. Those photos from last night are breath taking! Just beautiful! Too funny about your bowl, I too have a special bowl I bake from, it was one of a set of 3 that my grandma (now passed away) gave me at my wedding shower (yeah the hubby is an ex but still got those special bowls lol). Anyways there was one time I think last Thanksgiving that Dan was trying to help me in the kitchen as I had just gotten back from a weekend crop and had everyone coming for Thanksgiving at our house. He pulled out a bowl for me and I was like not that one, of course he looked puzzled and I was like get me the clear one with the blue on it. He pulled it out and said this is the same exact size as the one I just handed you. Well he didnt' really understand but I had to have "my mixing bowl" Just one more reason we baffle men haha

Charlene said...

I love the photos you took & they do look like Fall is in the air there. We are finally getting some much needed rain here (thanks to a tropical depression). And I'm ready for fall. I think I'm going to dig out my fall decor & redo the house.

LOVE the domestic goddess bottle caps you did. CUTE!!!!!!!! Are you like me???? A hoarder? At least we have goodies to play with when we want to. HUGS!
Charlene

Kinzie said...

LOVE the magnets! What a great idea and super cool and unique gift!

harrahx2 said...

I love the one that says Housework Sinks! So me! Sending a hug and thanks for sharing........always!

Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage Co. said...

These turned out so COOL Vicki, I love them!!!

Thanks a bunch for coming up with such a great idea for using our Domestic Goddess Scraps!

Sandy

Marlene (cards4u) said...

Need to find out if my sister needs that whole bag of bottle caps that I saw in her drawer at Christmas : ) Love your photos - thanks for letting me enjoy a little bit of country from the city!

Carol (HB) said...

You crack me up! These little "just cleaning out my stash" magnets would bring a boatload of $$ on Etsy!

I did a little "recycle" this weekend! You'll find it in the mail in a few days! :)

Catherine said...

LOVE these!!

Rbarakat said...

Oh my goodness I LOVE those magnets!!!! Makes me wish I had some bottle caps!!! And your pics are fabu!!!

MJ said...

Brilliant magnets! I now wish I'd bought some!

Wonderful landscape photos too. You have a way with a camera!

Jane Wetzel said...

LOVE these bottle caps! I made a few long time ago- need to get on this! I also live in the country and LOVE it- nothing like raising kids there and now with kids gone- enjoy the peacefulness!! :)Have a great day Vicki!

Lillian Child said...

I adore those sweet kitchen magnets, Vicki! And thanks for sharing those country photos with us "city" girls!! And next time you make your cookies, try adding 1/4 cup of malted milk powder to the batter - it'll rock your cookie lovin world!!

NanaBeth said...

I believe I am off to buy some bottle caps!

janel said...

Darling project. What fun. Always love your projects. Happy fall.

Catherine said...

I just remember that I need to send that card to the winner when I was a guest blogger....do you want me to send it to you or do the winner?? LOVE these again!