Monday, September 13, 2010

Unexpected Find

Well, this post isn't a "crafty post".. it's just a "sharing post" ..but I promise to be back on before I leave with something Crafty to share.  And  while I'm gone you will have 3 amazingly talented Guest Bloggers here sharing their creative side.  The girls I ask to be Guest Bloggers here, are not only my friends..but they are people who's artistic works I totally admire!  It's a huge honor for me to have them agree to Guest Blog here.   I cant wait to tell you more about them in my next post!
________________________________________________________________

Where to begin with this post....   lol  I couldn't even decided which photos to upload to to share, because I just wanted to show you them all! ha      It all started yesterday. (Sunday).  Jarad and Kate came out , because Jarad had promised his dear old mom,  one last jeep ride in the country with the top off, before it got to chilly.  I said.. "Yay"...lol.. then I said.. you might at well just come for dinner then.  We will keep it quick and simple so that we can get going before it gets to late and starts to cool down.    Well.. they came , we ate... and then took off for our ride.    Jarad, Kate, Dan and I.
Okay... before I go any farther.. I have to say.. this is my new Favorite photo!!
So cute!
J&K

I was standing up holding onto the roll bar in the back of the jeep (safari style) as Jarad would say.. and took this , looking down in to the front seat.

I love love love rides in the country.. esp in the jeep. Enjoying the fresh air, and the beautiful countryside.. listing to good music. Perfect!   Jarad knows how much I look forward to these. So thank you J & K for a fantastic evening!


When I was younger.. especially as a teenager, I always said.. I'm moving away from Nebraska.. I want to live someplace not so boring.   Well, if you asked me that again now.. as an adult, I'd give you a different answer. I'd say I love it here. ( unless you ask me in January.. then I might say something different.. lol    It really is  a great place to live.  There are beautiful things to look at all around ... "simple beauty".    I can drive up the road from our house and see rolling fields, and farms .. but in an hour I can be in a major city, shopping, going to movies, museum's, art galleries ect...
  For the most part .. I choose this.


The photo below is a  Peregrine Falcon. ( which I was calling a hawk..but was corrected by Weston when he saw my photo on facebook last night) lol
note:  I said I love life in the country.. I never claimed to have any knowledge of it. lol I'm no farm girl trust me.  I grew up in town. I only now truly appreciate living in the country.


No makeup.. wind blown messy hair and my flip flips. lol  Oh well... feels like heaven to me. 
The photo below was a accident....but I love how the road is rushing by behind the jeep. And Dans arm is on the back of the seat behind me.  

We drove on so many different county roads, and made so many turns ..this way and that way, I really had no idea where we were after the first 15 minutes.   We drove by old barns, abandon houses and farms, churches and old cemeteries ect.  Jarad even found the small country cemetery that Kate's Great Great Grandparent and family , who originally came here from Ireland were burried. She had been there when she was a child but not for years... So that was nice for her.  Her and Jarad went and found their graves, and looked around ..then...
Off we went again, down the country roads.~
 I was telling the kids and Dan, that I had looked in our family history book when we first moved here about 10 years ago.. to find out my Grandma was actually born here.  That surprised me because I've only known all of my parents families (on both sides) to come from SD. That is were the rest of our Aunts, Uncles, cousins.. ect are from, and where my parents met and lived when they were first married.  My dads job with the railroad is eventually what brought them to NE.    When we bought this house ten years ago.. my Grandma (moms mom) was still alive,but in a care center. I ask her "where" exactly here, was she born.. because now it was even more interesting to me  as  we were going to be  moving to the this area. Her memory was failing her by then, so we never got to find out.  I always said, "I'm going to check into it and see how I can find out"..but life gets busy, and I've never gotten around to it.    I did have a conversation with my mom a couple of years ago and she told me that she thought there was a cemetery out in the country somewhere between our town and the next town North, that family members where burried in . I got general directions from someone .but was fairly sure it would be hard to find, and maybe even to get to, so I didnt go any further with it.


   As we are driving down one of the many county roads we've been on ...   we come to an intersection, and Jarad says.. "Hey look at that old church up there".   We keep  drivin ahead and I'm still clicking away with my camera.. now totally focused on getting the best shot of the church steeple with the sun behind it. 


I'm not really looking at anything but the shot of the steeple I'm getting.  Jarad is only slowing the jeep down , not stopping.. so I'm clicking like a wild woman.   Jarad suddenly slows downn and says.. "hey what does that monument say"?.  "I'm going to back up and pull closer".  I was thinking to myself... "oh.. NOW your stopping" lol.   



 So I start trying to get the good shot of the steeple now that we are stopped, and I hear Jarad say... "Hans Hinrich Stoltenberg?? hey mom arent we related to Stolt....".  He didnt even have a chance to finish this sentance and  I was out of my seat belt and getting out of the jeep.







THIS WAS IT! The cemetary where my family is, that I couldnt find.   The monument basically says the land was donated by Hans Henrick Stolenberg.. who would be my Great Great Grandpa.   The strange thing is that the minute Jarad read that name.. I knew exactly who he was and what he looked like... because....




I have had these photos in my "to scrapbook" photo basket here in my room for quite some time.  I would have never know that Hans Hinrich was my Great Grand Father if these photos hadnt been photo copied  with there names right there on the fronts.   I have seen them in that basket each time I go digging for photos to use for some time now... and must subconciously notice the names.  Because I knew it off the top of my head. ( and anyone who knows me .. knows.. it's not that I'm good with names) ha

We looked at some of the headstones and I took photos..but I'm definatly going back for a longer look, when we have more daylight. We did find their graves here ...along with many more with the family name. (which I'll have to research to find out more about)
So it turns out.. this cemetary is within 12 miles from the home we live in now. 


It just gives me goosebumps how this all came together.  One different turn, or Jarad not going back to read that monument ect. ect. ect.. and it wouldnt have happened.   Now I am on a mission to find out where exactly my Grandma was born.  Chances seem good that since her grandparents owned land around there..that , that could be somewhere right around  there??  We'll see.   Dont really now where to start..but I have to find out.
as much as I'm into preserving family memories.. I've never really been into geneology. That may change. lol

Its funny how thing happen sometimes.  I was thinking later about the fact that Kates ancestors and Jarads ancestors are burried in cemetaries not that far from eachother.  It's not that unusual on Kate woud have family burried near here, because her framily IS from around here, although they originally came from Ireland.    But for Jarads to be in the area.. when we arent  from here( this area)  and we'd thought ours were all in SD, (originally coming from Germany).    Jarad and Kate would have probably never met if we hadnt moved here 10 years ago when he was first starting high school.  Yes, they have been friends for years, long before dating.   Her Grandparents farm is one county road up from us, and her and her parents lived not far up the road from there, all Kates life.   Kate used to pick Jarad up for school each morning in her pickup truck, because she is one year older then him and he wasnt old enough to drive yet. lol 

THEN   


NOW


J&K


So I'm sure this is one of my longest blogpost ever. whew   If you stuck with me to this point.. thank you.
What started as a jeep ride in the country .. turned out to be so much more.
Just had to share.
Thanks for reading.




28 comments:

Jan said...

What an awesome story about LIFE! I love that you found your family cemetery and the old Church is amazing....could this be the place for your scrapbook retreats??? How awesome would that be! Is is for sale??? LOVE THIS STORY!!

MJ said...

Great post! What a fluke to find that graveyard!

PS: I just shook my head at the fact that you can take an awesome photo of yourself that features your features without a blur and an amazing blurry background. That is talent!

Lisa Pace said...

How amazing is this what a great post... thanks for sharing.

Kate said...

That IS my favorite story! And, one of my favorite blog posts! haha Thanks!

Kara Ward said...

Oh, such a lovely story. I need to hear a story like this. Thanks so much for recording it and writing all the little details. It sent chills up my arms. I am 100% city girl, but I too appreciate the quiet and beauty of the country. Missed you friend!

Maggie said...

Such an awesome church! I love old country churches I may have to head out that way to check it out my self :)

Susie said...

Wow...your blog post gave me goosebumps and more goosebumps! How awesome for that jeep ride to have brought you to that country church. It was surely meant to be!
And I LOVE you photos...especially the one with the road flying by behind you. Awesome blog post. Please tell us more!

Mickie said...

What a wonderful story. Predestintion!! I love your blog and pics.

VAWM said...

Life is amazing!

VAWM said...

Life is amazing!

MYLIFEMYPUGSMYSCRAPBOOK said...

OMG thanks so much for sharing that story, it's so ironic how you went for a simple ride and ended up finding out so much. So interesting and I LOVE when you tell stories, I feel like when I get to the end I want to know more more more lol. So very interesting and exciting for you to find all this out! The pics of Jared and Kate are adorable. And too funny that she used to pick him up in her truck! Thanks so much for sharing with us!!

DeniseLynn said...

Oh wow. *eyes welling with tears* such a beautiful journey you had that day ... like finding a treasure at the end of a rainbow!!

Jane Wetzel said...

OMG- Vicki! (wait till u see my post...) THIS is amazing and so very cool! I totally love when these things happen- and those kids are so darn cute! Gorgeous country-hope to see it one day :)

Cathy said...

Great story, what a wonderful day! It's great living in beautiful country, isn't it?!?!?! So blessed!

Lovely Mrs E said...

I loved your story and the serendipitous way it all happened. It was definitely meant to be that you would find the church and monument. I would think that the church (is it still active?) might have some records of your family's births and dates. Also - check with the county records. A death certificate will have a wealth of info. - birthplaces and dates, not only of the deceased, but also of their parents. Good luck and keep us posted.

Annie said...

Wow, I think that's a GREAT story! You really had an adventure! Sweet story about J & K, too. Thanks for sharing.

Mary Anne in NJ said...

Enjoyed the post very much...what a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon...with family..present and past...and what great memories for your son, too...you're really becoming an awesome photographer...each picture you take is better than the last...thanks for sharing your art and your life! Mary Anne in NJ

Lady Pamela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lady Pamela said...

Life is amazing, isn't it.

Nathalie Kalbach said...

OMG you gave me goosebumps- what an amazing story!!!! So wonderful!!!! Wow!!! Hey...and you are German! They probably left Germany through my city- Hamburg. Most immigrants did at this time-big Harbour city. We just opened a huge museum - it is so amazing and you can search for your relatives if you know the name and vague when they lefthttp://www.ballinstadt.net/BallinStadt_emigration_museum_Hamburg/english_BallinStadt_das_Auswanderermuseum_Hamburg_besonderes_Ausflugsziel_Ausflugsort_Erlebnisort_Freizeit_leisureworkgroup_Geschaeftsfuehrer_Jens_Nitschke_Berater_Museen_Fachmann_Entwicklung_Konzeption_Design_Erlebniswelt_Erlebnismuseum.html If you want you can send me the names and dates and birthdates and I try to go there soon and do the search for you - it is pretty easy! This way you could even find out where in Germany they came from! Let me know sweets- I do it all for you!!!

Country Liv . . . said...

This world always seems so BIG when you are out West but life is funny and it turns out it's really a small world. Wonder if any of Jarad's and Kate's ancestors knew each other? Totally awesome story girl!

debbiek said...

What FUN this was to read, Ms. Vicki! Love the story and that you found the gravesites. It's just fate, if you ask me:) My favorite photo is of J&K holding hands in the front of the jeep. You ought to scrapbook that but I'm sure you already have plans for that;)

A Vintage Chic said...

Oh, Vicki--you KNOW I love this post! Okay, friend, we need to talk, because genealogy IS my thing!

These things don't just happen by chance...it gives me goosebumps, too, and has happened to me many times throughout my life...we're really connected to them, even though they're gone...

Love the photo of that church--so simple and beautiful...

And that accidental photo of you with the road behind is a definite keeper--love it!

Thanks for sharing your amazing evening...

Julie

Ali said...

How awesome Vicki!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TYFS! xox-Ali

Precious Treasures said...

I LOVE that picture of you!!! Also the one of them holding hands took my breath away!

Precious Treasures said...

I LOVE that picture of you!!! Also the one of them holding hands took my breath away!

kathy/North Carolina said...

I LOVE that black and white photo of you! You need to frame it!

Randy Novak said...

Hello, We are related. My name is Randy Novak. I live in Neligh, Nebraska. 30 miles west of Norfolk. I noticed your blog about the Pleasant Valley cemetery and St Matthews Lutheran Church. Hans Hinrich's son Claus is my great great grandfather and I actually knew his son Claus, Jr. (my great grandfather). I would love to talk to you about all of this. I have an extensive Stoltenberg tree on ancestry. 402/843-8167 oakcreek@gpcom.net Randy