Friday, October 29, 2010

Art group festivities

Oh boy.. I have lots of photos to share today.  I had my art group girls over yesterday for some fun.  We haven't met in a while so I was really excited about it. I even took time to do some of the things I love to do, like decorate and bake.  I love a theme party!  I'm sure you'll be able to guess what this theme is. lol


lol... so the first picture just happens to be of "boughten" cupcakes.   Really I did bake a couple of things, but I crabbed these the day before at the store... not sure how things would go for me "time wise".
They were to festive to pass up anyway.


The drinking glasses had test tubes filled with goodies in them.  Instead of looking in the (very picked over) Halloween isle at Hobby Lobby, I went to the Christmas isle. It was surprising how much silver and black there is there.  All of the things hanging on the light were from the Christmas isle.


We are a pretty low key group.. so nothing fancy food wise is expected by any meansit seems there is always way..to snack on ..none the less. We had apples with Carmel dip, mini pumpkin muffins,cookies, chips and salsa, crackers with meat and cheese, ect..  oh and hot cider.



I had so much to do the night before but it was Dans day off so he wanted me to watch a movie.  I have SUCH a hard time sitting and watching TV without doing something else. I don't know why , but it drives me crazy.. lol  Anyway, I decided to busy myself while sitting there. I punched two different sized circles out of black and orange cardstock and glued them back to back on this thin black ribbon to make this long garland that I hung in the window.  It was really quick, simple and fun.. so I'm thinking I'll be doing this for other occasions also!


There was lots of chatting and creating going on around this table yesterday afternoon.  It was great to have my sis Jan be able to join us now.
Left to right Deb, Stephanie, Paula ,Jan and I.



I'll show you the projects we worked on.  I don't think any of us got ours finished before the end of the day..because we did alot of chatting. lol.. but I finished mine up to show you today.
I had gotten some of these small decorative dowels when I was at Junk Bonanza. I was wishing I had picked up more, but Stephanie found a link to a place that sells them HERE 
I had them in mind for making fairies on spools like I've done so many times before,but this time we mixed it up a bit and used them a number of different ways.


The large one in the background is a wooden candlestick that I altered. I'll show more of that , down further in this post.

This is one of the darling little fairy girls from the Crafty Secrets "Altered Fairies" sheet of Creative Scraps.  Look at the darling little book she is holding.


The little book is now on the new Double sided Sheets.



The wooden stars I hot glued to the tops of the other ones, are about a quarter of an inch think, so I used fine glitter on the edges.


I then hot glued smaller size clothes pins to the backs to that they could be card, or photo holders.


I wanted to be able to keep these out in my room all year long..but you could see how fun they would be for different holidays.  Fun note holders or place card holders??




So once I started digging in my big box of wood pieces I found these candle sticks and some big (rounded end) clothes pins.   This would be a fun photo holder...but for now it's holding the cool vintage Bingo cards that Steph gave us.  Loving these bingo cards!!

You know how I adore vintage trims. so... thought I would add some to this ...just so I could enjoy looking at them.
The round piece that is altered with papers is one of the paper discs that make up a ribbon spool.  It makes a kind of "Shelf".  I cut and covered it with some of my favorite papers and then cut a scalloped edge with my decorative scissors, to add around the edge of it.



I couldn't resist making a Christmas one with this darling little image from the Crafty Secrets Double sided "Christmas" Creative Scraps.  I had a couple of old green wooden spools, that make me think of Christmas the minute I saw them. I added the little white fence to it.   Some of the dowels I painted and some I left natural.( I'm totally sure Glimmer Mist would work wonderful on these also)

So .. below is the first project that was the inspiration for the other. I did these for the Fancy Pants Blog this week, using one of the brand new paper lines. "Hot Chocolate".
You can see this project and  all the other projects that are posted on the Fancy Pants blog using this new line ... AND the other new line "Love Birds"  ohhhhh SO CUTE!


I used my fine glue pen to highlight the design elements on the paper with glitter.  These will be so fun to set out for the holidays.


Boy I tossed alot at you in that one post didn't I? lol  Sorry, but a girls gotta share. lol
It was great fun to have the girls here this time.  I look so forward to the creative inspiration I get when we are all together sharing.  This was a low key day of crafting, which we all agreed we needed. Next time Paula will be teaching us Zetti. I just  love the look of it ..but boy it will me a challenge for me. Bright Bold colors, painting, and lots of free hand drawing... hmmmm....   I'm always talking about challenging yourself and stepping out of your comfort zone...  well, I'll certainly "be there". lol    You can see some of it here on Paulas blog.

*********************************************************************

Okay friends...  I hope you enjoy the weekend and have a HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!
+

boo

14 comments:

A Vintage Chic said...

What a fabulous day you had, Vicki! Love your decorations...the food looked great...and the projects were fantastic!!!

I love always love your altered spool fairies!

Looking forward to seeing your Zetti project--something I definitely haven't tried yet!

Have a wonderful weekend, my friend!

Julie

Susie said...

Wow! I love the projects that you and the girls created! Isn't it fun to craft (and talk)together? I have 3 friends that I invite over a few times a year. We stamp, talk, munch and well....then, more of the same :)
I absolutely love crafting with my buddies.
I always look forward to your posts...I enjoy them SO much!

kathy/North Carolina said...

What a great time you all must have had. The projects are just precious! I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for wooden spools. I love the idea! TFS and Happy Halloween back to you.

Jan said...

Oh Vicki,
This looks like too much fun! Cupcakes look yummy and your spoolies are too sweet!

Carol (HB) said...

OMG where do I start? Your decorations are fabulous; the food looks SO yummy; but the projects. swooooon.... I knew you would create something awesome out of those dowels, but holy smokes Vic, these are so CUTE! What a fabulous day you girls must have had!

harrahx2 said...

Boo back at ya kiddo! I am so not good at Zetti, I know before even trying. I am a logic based person and there isn't logic in it! I loved your spools and what a great card holder Idea for shoebox swaps. Hugs and Happy Halloween! Thinking of you with a big smile today.

Annie said...

Everything looks beautiful! You have such a talent. I know what I'm going to do with my wooden spools, now. Thanks for sharing.

debbiek said...

Oh Ms. Vicki! I wish I lived near you...I would be beggin' to come in, especially to play along with you and your other girlfriends:) How much fun you all must have had. GREAT projects and the food looks sooooo yummy.

Have a Happy Halloween!!!

Donna said...

Hi Vicki!
Your party (and the photos) look like a feature in a magazine! LOVE the latest projects, too! Thanks so much for a great post!
Have a safe and happy Halloween weekend!

mindy said...

I am SOOO stealing the idea of the clothespin stars on the thimbles. While sorting out stuff for a garage sale I found a bag of antique thimbles. I'd been saving because I didn't know what to do with them, but when I saw your project the lightbulb came on!!! Thanks Vicki

mindy said...

Okay, so I was so excited I meant spools, not thimbles. I do know the difference!!!

Home and Heart said...

What gorgeous ideas!! Looks like everyone had a fabulous time!!

Angela said...

Oh I really love the spool art that you did. I really wish Crafty Secrets products were in Omaha. I go to the Crafty Secrets site and they don't make it possible to zoom in on the images. However I love all that vintage stuff so I'm sure they're all cute! Great job as usual!

1CardCreator said...

Looks like fun for everyone! I love all the projects! ~Diane