Thursday, November 04, 2010

Butterfly project/Tattered Angels technique

Hey friends!  Hope your week is going well.  I have been working on all kinds of projects .. and I cant  wait to be able to share them soooon.   There are some new Crafty Secrets Stamps that just came in the mail that are SO cute I can wait to share.  I will also be hosting a give-a-way of one of my "must have" Adaptable 2011" My book Planners" in the next day or so.. so watch for that!
Right now.. I am going to share one of my Tattered Angels projects for this month.  The Design Team is featuring Tattered Angels products with WOOD this month on the Tattered Angels blog so check out the inspiration over there. Amazing stuff! AND.... all of our new Design Team members will be participating in their First month of projects on the blog.  I cant wait to see what they all come up with.. I know it will be amazing!
**********************************************
My re-purposed wood project started with a sad look on my face when I realized that I had accidentally poked a hole in a canvas I was starting to alter.  I just couldn't bare to just throw it away.. so I just removed the canvas material completely .. leaving just the wood frame.   This was some time ago, so I just tossed it into my "wood alterables" plastic bin in the supply closet. (as if there wasn't enough stuff in that bin already).  The problem is, I see things and think " Oh.. I could alter that!", I always think I could do this or that, so I get it and then it goes to "the bin". Then the plan is , that one day I will pull it out, be totally inspired and make something wonderful with it. ummmm.... well, that "has" happened. lol  but just not often enough. 
Anyway.. this time I did pull it out of the box and use it, and I was happy with the results.


Have I ever mentioned that I {*l*o*v*e*} butterflies???  I DO!


Here is what the canvas frame looked like when I started


I brushed "wicked" green Glimmer Glaze in random areas of the frame.


While it was still wet, I added clear embossing powder and took my heat tool to it.

Then... for the last step, I sprayed over it all with "Strawberry Shortcake" Chalkboard Glimmer Mist. (wiping away any excess).
The result..... I cool funky color/resist/texture kind of thing!   (the black you see if from me rubbing an ink pad across the edges of the frame).
When it was completely dry I added a thin paper book print strip all the way around each edge.


I have it sitting on my window ledge right now... but I plan to suspend it in the window with fishing line.  I love the look of it.
( the butterfly punch is from EK Success-Martha Stewart)


***__________________***___________________***


I have to show you the project Jarad and Kate have been working on. There now hot tub and gazebo.  It took 8 guys help them get it there .. now the painting and staining is the main job!   When I stopped over yesterday Kate was still painting away.
They are going to enjoy this so much when it's all ready to go. They love entertaining and have company more than anyone I know, so I'm sure it will get lots of use.
(btw.. the "blue" is not the accent color.. it's painters tape) lol


Seats 8!  They better not forget dear old mom and dad. lol 
We should probably grabbed a brush and helped out so we'd have a seat when the time comes. lol

The are so busy and aways have "some" major project going on. I don't know how they do it. ( oh yeah.. theyre young) lol    No really, they both work full time and are involved in so many things, I dont know how they keep up with it all.
________________________________________________________________

Hey ... are any of your planned to attend CKC Seattle???   If you are, be sure to stop by the Crafty Secrets booth and say hi! We'd love to meet you!





                                    November 12-13, 2010
                                  The Meydenbauer Center
                                           Bellevue, WA

I will be around until next Thursday, then I'll be off to Seattle to be in the Crafty Secrets booth at  that show.   From there I'm heading to Canada for a few days. Lots of exciting stuff going on.  I'll have lots of photos ect to share when I get back..but until then.....

you are in for a TREAT!   I'm excited to tell you, you are going to have some great Guest Bloggers here sharing with you while I'm away.

FIVE amazing Women will be holding down the fort  blog for me while I'm away.

 
Before I close, I have to share a photo.  You know How I love to share random photos.  This photo is of Weston in Colorado when he was there visiting his cousin Ryan ..summer before last.  It just makes me smile.
 

Enjoy the gift


life


9 comments:

marilyn said...

LOVE your butterfly frame--love how they are "floating" on fishing line or wire. Beautiful!

Susan said...

Vicki,
This is beautiful. Great idea to suspend the butterflies inside the frame. It will look gorgeous in the window!
Susan
PS - I thought the blue tape accent looked nice!

Jan said...

You're going to be a busy girl, for sure!! Hoping you have a rip-roaring good time in Seattle and Canada :)
NOW...I'd die for that HOT TUB! How awesome for the kids and I bet it's going to get a LOT of use!
Great picture of Weston in Colorado and love the quote on the picture.
Can't wait to see the new stamps..and most of all, what you'll do with the new stamps!
HAVE A SAFE TRIP and I'm sure your sweet pooches will miss you.

1CardCreator said...

Beautiful, and I love butterflies too! ~Diane

debbiek said...

You are soooo clever, Ms. Vicki. LoVe the butterfly projects. Great photo of Weston and Jared and Kate sure are ambitious youngsters, aren't they! Wow. How fun to have a hot tub in the family:)

Have a great trip to Seattle and Canada and be safe....

Bettyann said...

oh goody, you are coming to my neck of the woods..are you coming to the Vancouver, canada area??????let me know..bettswaller@hotmail.com

harrahx2 said...

You're like a busy beaver, stockpiling for the winter. I love the frame and what really makes it pop is the book strip around the edges. I just love it! I so want to move next door. I love ethe guest blog folks but always miss you when you are away. I like my daily dose of Vic! Hugs Ms. Chipper!

DeniseLynn said...

Oh Vicki ... those butterflies and that frame ... oh my!! LOVE! I'm taking a break from all the hospital visits and just had to peek in on your blog & so glad I did. Very inspiring {Gee I think I tell you that every time, but i really mean it!!}

therese ercolani said...

Thanks for sharing this tutorial. It is so unique.