Thursday, November 18, 2010

Guest Blogger-Sarah Hemphill

Hi, Sarah here filling in for Vicki while she is being creative in Canada. After following Vicki's blog for a while, I had the pleasure of meeting her at The Great American Scrapbook Convention in Arlington, TX. Now I look forward to the convention coming to TX so that I can work with Vicki and Sandi in the Crafty Secrets booth. If you have ever been around these two, you know how much fun that can be.

Today we are going to take a quick trip to Chicago, so grab your coat and hat, too (it's windy there) 'cause we're off to...

Stampland houses a unique stamp museum and gallery as well as being home to the manufacturing of Stampland stamps.
It is owned and operated by Darlene Domel and "Picasso" Gaglione.
Here is a peek into one of the cabinets filled with vintage rubber stamps. If you thought rubber stamps were a fairly new invention, think again. They have been around longer than all of us.

One of "Picasso's" favorite set is this one which includes Bozo, Laurel and Hardy, and the 3 Stooges.

The museum is full of treasures from old to new.

Many of the hand stamps in the museum have seens years of useage and are pieces of art themselves.

There are rows of boxes filled with brand new, beautiful pink rubber stamps designed by Darlene and Picasso. Here are my friends Pam and Louise getting in a little shopping.

If you are in the Chicago area be sure and visit Stampland. It is open by appointment only so call ahead to make arrangements for a museum tour and a fun-filled class with Darlene. You can find more info at their website...Stampland.


I would like to share with you a fun and laugh filled exercise that Darlene told us to try when we got home. This is more fun to do with a couple of friends.
Her is what you do:
Randomly pick about 20 stamps and put them in a box or bag.
Everyone pick out 3 stamps without looking at them.
Now, create a card front using only those 3 stamps. (We also used only 3 colors of ink.)
Pass those three stamps to your friend and let them create until everyone has used those three stamps.
Show your work to each other and be amazed at the different ideas that you and your friends came up with using only the 3 stamps.
These are a few of my "3 stamp" creations from my creative exercise with Louise and Pam.

Thanks for visiting today and have yourself a creative kind of day! You can visit me at my blog Vintage Figments.

14 comments:

debbiek said...

Great cards Sarah. Looks like you gals had a terrific time! How FUN!!!

A Vintage Chic said...

Hi, Sarah! So nice to meet you! What a fabulous shop--would LOVE to visit there!

A fun idea to grab the random stamps to create something!

Julie

Robin said...

What fun to see a glimpse into Stampland! Love what you did with your randomly picked stamps too!

MYLIFEMYPUGSMYSCRAPBOOK said...

What an amazing store that must be, I'm jealous you "live" near it! Love the cards you created so vinage. Love it, thanks for sharing with us!

Jan said...

WOW! What a splendid place :) Off to check out your blog :)

Sarah said...

Hope you're having a great trip, Vicki! Thanks for allowing me to join your team of guest bloggers.

Rbarakat said...

Oh my goodness look at all those stamps! WAY COOL!

Elaine A said...

Hi Sarah -

Aren't Darlene and Picasso just wonderful? Darlene does such wonderful work and is so willing to teach her techniques. I've taken several classes with her a local stamp shows and she is a gem. Great reporting job on your part - thank you.

Elaine Allen

Susan said...

What fun to see you posting on Vicki's blog! I've always check out Stampland's stamps at every convention but I need to visit them in Chicago the next time I go!
Susan

Vicki C said...

Wow.. what a place! I'm so happy to have you sharing here Sarah.. you know I love ya girl! Thankyou so much!

harrahx2 said...

Sounds like my kind of place! Thanks for sharing.....Austin is an "interesting" place.

Lynn Stevens said...

If I'm ever in the area thats my FIRST stop! cool!
Love your idea of using 3 random stamps, how fun, I can just imagine all the possibilities!
Great post Sarah!

Louise (KardKrazy) said...

I forgot about all the fun (and frustration) we had that day playing around with the three stamps. Nice trip dowm memory lane too:)

Marlene (cards4u) said...

What a fun place - thanks for sharing this gem with us!! Need to go and check it out : )