Saturday, December 18, 2010

Repurposed Glass votives...and other Christmas fun

I can not believe Christmas is only a week away! I was just thinking.. I have so many Christmas things left to share with you, that my posts are going to be crammed full between now and then.  You know me.. I'm a "visual" person anyway, so if you think I usually post alot of photos.. brace yourself. lol

First I wanted to show you these cheery little votives. I am a candle lover so I seem to always have more of these inexpensive clear glass votives than I know what to do with.  Great time to make something new with them right? Nothing better then recycling or repurposing something you have, and being pleased with the new little treasure you've created huh? Well this month the Tattered Angels Design Team is focusing on using TA products on Glass.  I used Glimmer Glam on mine.  I have to admit, I had never used it much on glass before...but was I pleasantly surprised.


Since it was the first time , I did a little experimenting.  I applied it a couple of different ways , and found you can certainly achieve different looks, depending on how you apply it.  On the votive below I just brushed it on neatly with a small foam brush.  (I did one coat .. let it dry and then repeat this a couple of times) Dry time is really quick.  I added Vintage Glass Glitter around the top when I was finished.



You can see... on in the photo below , how the Glam was put on with a foam brush and is fairly smooth .


On the green one below I did something a little different. I sort of "blotted" it on with a foam brush. Letting it dry some and then adding more .. repeating numerous times.    So it has a more textured look.  ( more layers , more texture)



This is just another small one...with the Glimmer Glam , brushed on with a foam brush.

Now, after doing these, and seeing how fun they are, I sure wish I hadn't just taken a bunch of old glass containers to the goodwill.  bummer

********************************************
Although I don't like winter, who cant love this time of the year. I really enjoy having my Christmas pretties out.  I'll be kind of sad to put them away.   Since that time is inching ever closer, I thought I'd share some of my favorite things I have out this year.  But before I do that I'll share a couple of last minute "snowman" fun ideas. ( these are for the kiddos).
We will be spending Christmas Eve with my family
  as we always have.. , at the place we rent for our gatherings.  There is quite a bunch of us, so we usually drawn names for gifts.
I cant tell who.. shhhhh... but one of my family has Haley's name. Well when I went to wrap her gift I realized I didn't really have any "fun" kids wrapping paper... only the pretty"grown up stuff. ... boring   ha What to do???  Didnt really want to have to run to the store for paper to wrap ONE gift...but couldn't bare to wrap it in "grown up" paper, for her.   So I just used my brown craft paper and made a snowman on it.   If you have kids , it would really be a fun way to let them  help with wrapping, and feel a part of things.  This is pretty simple ,but depending on the ages of the kids, you could even make it more simple.( it's hard to see from here..but it has wiggly eyes) ha




This is why I have a hard time staying on task, because one idea leads to another. (short attention span I have ..huh).  Anyway, I started thinking how fun little paper snowmen would be for the kiddos to put together on Christmas Eve.  A while back my sis Jan showed me some "snowman" kits she found ( I think at Target). They were pieces you add to an actual snow man! ( made out of SNOW)  Like pieces to stick into it, like , eyes, a nose , mouth, scarf ect..  I was just darling.
Well I knew we couldn't probably do that.. but they could do this......



Super simple , but fun, none the less.  The kiddos are all between 7 and 2, so hopefully even the 2 year olds can make these with a little big person help. 
All they'll need is a gluestick.  Hope they have fun making them!

************************************************************

Okay.. now ... here are some the things around my house, that I'm enjoying this Christmas Season.


( Can you tell .. we had a little ice storm the other night?)




This little tree sits between the dinning room and kitchen with my shiny brites hanging on it.
...oh.. and the little vintage snow man I got at the flea market a while back.

Candles... oh.. how I love candles!  Not just at Christmas..but any time!  But at Christmas... I love the smell of Balsm Pine.  This sits on the dinning room table.


and the kitchen counter.. oh..and the end table..and the bathroom....
lol... I told you I   like  candles!

I have all my baking done now, and even have most of what I am taking to friends , boxed up and delivered, but thought I'd share this recipe with you. It's not just a Christmas cookie.. it's one for all year.
 Not much to look at..but don't be fooled...............They are SO yummy!



Oatmeal Craisin Cookies

1 cup butter or marg softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teas vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teas baking soda
1 1/2 teas cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups oats
1 cup raisins.

Oven 350  Beat together butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Add remaining ingredients and stir until just barely mixed. ( do not over mix)  Drop by rounded tablespoons on to ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until slightly golden. Cool on wire rack.  Makes 4 dozen



I'll be sharing more next week..but be sure to stop by on Monday because it's Crafty Secrets Design Team Challenge Day.. and it's going to be a fun one!



  Enjoy your weekend friends!


7 comments:

Jan said...

Beautiful decor, Vicki! The voties look great all dressed up in red and green! (I just got some of this stuff in Flirt and Cowboy) LOVE the little snowman kits and bet the kids and (big kids) will love 'em :)
OH..and the ice storm? what a gorgeous back drop for your pictures!

debbiek said...

Great photos Ms. Vicki! Love your little snowman kits. I know all about the lack of attention, I do the same thing ALL the time...one project leads to another and another. Guess that's what happens to us 'putter people'...lol! Have a great weekend:)

MrsETaylor said...

Vicki!!!! It is always such a complete treat for the eyes and the mojo, to stop in and check up on what you've been up to. Love the Tattered projects.

Happy Holidays
Erika

Bettyann said...

Vickiyour home looks lovely...yummy cookies..diet for me in the new year, too many samples lol..have a great weekend...

Mickie said...

Luv your decorations. Those candles turned out beautiful. Gonna have to try that one. Have a Blessed and Merry Christmas.

Lady Pamela said...

You didn't happen to make the amazing birdhouse, did you? I just love it. It is something that you could leave out all winter. Sometimes you need a storm to be able to stay in a be creative.

DeniseLynn said...

Was feeling a little down tonight after the inlaws trashed our place last night {our annual Christmas party with them, relieved its only once a year} ... so glad I stopped by here; your pretties have made me smile and inspired me to get back in the Christmas mood.