Saturday, January 01, 2011

"LOVE" layout

Today is my friend Sandy's Birthday.
 Sandy is the owner  and creative brain behind Crafty Secrets, and my sister  
I mean friend) lol   feels like a sister though.  She is very special to me.  These photos are of her and her hubby Scott. ( he's a pretty great guy too) 
  this ones for you Sandy!




I wanted to focus on using these to stamp sets on this layout.  That's right girls.. remember stamps aren't just for card makers.   I love the effects you can get using beautiful stamps for background designs AND accents for layouts.





I wish you could see the layout in real life.  So you could see the layers better and the depth the stamping gives it.
I took a few photos below to explain a fun way to do your edges.

I also used Stickles, Glimmer Mist and Glimmer Glam to give it some sparkle. I love using Glimmer Glam on my edges.. and one of my favorite colors is "Cowboy".  It is like the effect of inking and aging the edges but with some dimension too.


I had fun making this flower. I cut out graduated sizes of simple flower shapes. One vellum, one muslin, and 2 or three ( depending on how much "pooof" you want). I used three.
I then stamped with different stamps from the "Artsy Banners" set on the vellum and on the muslin with  Versafine  vintage sepia (instant dry pigment ink).  Quick dry is the key,so you don't have to worry about smudging.
I then started with largest size and ran a simple running stitch around the center (you can see this on the patterns below).   I did this with each of the layers, stitching one layer to another as I went.  ( this isn't a time consuming process at all... it doesn't have to be perfect.. just enough to gather the flat flowers to make them more dimensional.)
 When they were all put together, I added the pretty to the center... and then some Stickles to the edges of the vellum and muslin.     


When I said I use "not perfect" flower shapes , I wasn't kidding.  I just cut mine...with out a pattern as I go.  If you have a die cut machine that cuts graduated sizes you can certainly use that. I do.. and could.. and probably should.. lol..but       this time I didn't.         I will tell you , I have found that flowers with out really pointed edges seem to look better I think.  Once they are gathered you certainly don't notice if the flower shape is perfect.   Truthfully... I like things "not perfect" for the most part. That's the beauty of "handmade" right? ha ( that's my excuse anyway).

If you want simple patterns to go by, you are welcome to use these.  I just sketched and cut out three sizes of flowers, and a couple of sizes of leaves.  You can print them out whatever size you want.  Just remember that you will want to make them a bit bigger than what you want your finished flower to be, because the gathering will make them smaller. ( depending on how much you gather them ).   *The pen marks are just a idea of about where I do a few running hand stitches to gather each flower.
For the leaves .. I just crumple them a bit before adding them to my page.


Okay.. one more fun thing I wanted to show you. This is a great way to make a frame or edge to your layout.
I took a large shape, like this one from AccuCut. I turn mine  over (using the backside), so I can save the front for use later.  Lay it down on your 12x12 background paper. ( i'm using the different color here.. just so you can see it better).  If you want you can put a small piece of double sided tape between the two papers to hold it in place while you stamp.   I used the "bookprint" stamp for my edge.  I just randomly stamped all around the edge.  Again.. random... not perfect looks better. Let is overlap and even stamp a couple of times before re-inking,so you get some lighter print and some darker.
( the while sheet behind .. is just to keep me from stamping on my table). :(


You'll get this cool effect.


Hope you get a chance to try this, and have a little fun creating today!

hugs, Vic

14 comments:

debbiek said...

Happy, Happy B-day Sandy! LOVE the lay out you did, Ms. Vicki. Just gorgeous (as usual:)

Thanks for the helpful hints too in creating those pretty flowers! Amazing work!

MJ said...

I found your tips on stamping on the fabric flowers very useful! Happy new year!

A Vintage Chic said...

This is gorgeous, Vicki! What a sweet gift for Sandy--I know she loves it!

Beautiful techniques--love the flower! Everything you do is touched with magic, my friend...hope you've had a Happy New Year's Day!

Julie

Susie said...

Wow Vicki...every time I read your blog I get more ideas, tips and inspiration than I could imagine :)
I HAVE to try those flowers!

And, thank you for sharing your "people" photos. Love them!

kathy/North Carolina said...

What a stunner! Love the flowers, and love the tip on using the word stamp for borders. I ordered my artsy banner stamp set a few days ago, and can't wait to get it!

linda said...

What great tips and I love the layout! It's just beautiful. I am going to try this one!

Thanks

Melisa Waldorf said...

Vicki this so gorgeous and I know Sandy will treasure such a special gift! You rocked this one chick!
Happy New Year!

harrahx2 said...

Girl, you are all about the details and that is totally what sets you apart! You are ine of a kind and I love you for it!

Axes DesigNs said...

OMY! I love your LO it is beautiful and all those techniques.. the Stamps hahahaa.. everything! I love loveeeee loveeeeeeeeee it! Happy New Year & B-day!

Donna said...

PRIMA who?? LoL!
Vicki, that flower rocks!!
The whole layout is gorgous as always....thanks for continued inspiration! Hope 2011 is a great year for you!

Marlene (cards4u) said...

I'm a little late in getting around but wanted to let you know this is beautiful!! Thanks for taking the time to share all the details and photos and I hope your year is off to a great start : )

stampqueen said...

Beautiful layout - they are adorable!!! I love the flower with the rhinestone center best!!! A ton of awsome details as always!!!

Bobbi said...

Love the layout!! Great techniques for stamping....thanks for the tips...

Bobbi

CroppinSpree said...

Wow, I decided to check you blog out from the SCS link. Gorgeous! Absolutely love the banner and flower...very creative!