Wednesday, January 26, 2011

More "Farm" themed fun

Another day of farming!   While we were talking about NEW "farm" themed goodies I wanted to share a new layout I finished the other day.  There are tons of great samples posted on the Heartwarming Vintage blog, done by the ever so talented Crafty Secrets Design Team that you wont want to miss.. so be sure to pop over and check them out.

Wish I knew more about that darling little girl in the photo. It's a photo of Sandys..but I just had to use it for these new "farm" images and stamps.Thanks Sandy!


I also used  the chicken wire stamp and the checker board stamp from the new stamp set below.

 



Here are the ..... **NEW**  Farm Fresh Scraps

It's  funny that the last few days I've been working with "farming" things, and also just happened to have been scanning some photos of moms to put them on discs.  This photo below just cracked me up! 
My grandparents.

Everytime I look at photos of my grandparents and great-grandparents and thier lives as farmers, I cant help but think about the long days and hard work.  I cant imagine getting up everyday.. to work the fields, feed the animals, gather eggs, bake bread, sew your kids clothes, cook, clean... and all that with no airconditioning, microwaves, washers and dryers, ect... Oh.. man, I would have never make it.
 We ordered pizza for dinner tonight. lol         

One day when I was chatting with mom about life back in those days, She said, "you know .. everything was harder back then...but still we call it The good old days". "Things were harder, but it was just simpler times, less hectic, people werent in such a hurry".     
__________________________________

Below is my Great Granparents farm.


The photo below is not one that I just ran accross. Ive had this for some time, and it's one of my very favorites.  I've scrapped it a number of times.   It's a photo of my cousin Craig and I, holding baby kittens on the front porch of my Grandparents farm house.  He and I were bestest buddies ... awwww

I wasnt raised on a farm but I have so many fond memories of trips to South Dakota to visit my Grandparents and Aunts and Uncles. I have so many great memories of each place. I was just thinking the other day about how I loved to gather eggs with my Aunt Pauline.  How she let me ring the big bell out in the yard to call the guys in from the field for lunch. And how she tried to show me how to milk a cow. ( I never did get the hang of that)...but I always thought it was funny when she squirted the milk accross the barn into the cats mouth. :)  Oh.. the things kids remember. 

Looking through these photos and trying to figure out the who's , when's and where's of them , just reinforces to me the importance of documenting "everyday life" with photos ( and.. with journaling).  I'm pretty good with the "Photo" part of it all..but I am really going to try to do better with documenting the people, places, dates ect.. of the photos that I dont scrapbook also.  I have alot of scrapbooked pages! (alot!)..but I vow to do better with organizing and writing on the backs of all my photos.  It's always to sad to see photos that no one knows about. You look at the pictures and wonder what their story is.   
I have so many photo boxes filled with photos, pulling them all out and writing on the backs of all of them , is just toooo overwelming.... so I'm atleast grouping them into marked envelopes to start.  I had done some a couple of years ago, and it came in so handy when the boys took their trip to the Black Hills and wanted to look at the places we used to go.  I had the envelopes marked and organized!  Now.. if I can just do that with all of them.  I guess this is a little note to you new moms. You will probably take alot of pictures over the next years.. first steps, birthdays, dances, ect...... start now and keep them organized.  It will save you down the road!  
but most of all..... 
**Take photos.. preserve memories**


In nothing are we as rich as in our memories; they are pictures painted by our hearts, and nothing can erase them.

-- Flavia

10 comments:

Jan said...

Great family history and memories :) The picture with the kitties is adorable and your LO is too cute! I may need to order the creative scraps :)
Have a beautiful day!

Sheila Rumney said...

Wonderful memories! The kitten picture is too cute! I just love the new Farm Fresh Scraps and stamps to go with it!

debbiek said...

Love the pictures Ms. Vicki. Especially you and your best cousin buddy:) The Farm stamps are adorable!

Susan said...

Loved your post today. So true, we forget places, people and dates so quickly! I've been trying to write more info on the backs of my old photos. Loved seeing that adorable photo of you and your cousin - you were a cutie pie!
Susan

craig said...

best buds, cool pictures.

malia said...

the grandparent photos are priceless! love the expression on that sheep(!?!) and the new farm line from crafty secrets rocks!

Linda Cichowski said...

Love your post today. I was fortune enough to live with my aunt & uncle on their farm for about a yr.& l/2 when I was 7 yrs. and every summer for many yrs. They are the best memories of my life. The '50's were the best of times & a much slower daily pace.We do need to remember those memories & identify those times and people for our future generations! Keep up the good work

Jane Wetzel said...

hi Vickie- First- I LOVE the new CS stuff, cute! Second,that pic of your grandparents is suce a TREASURE..ha ha! AWESOME! I soooooo agree with you and the "writing" on pic backs to get organized...My baby is in college and I think of this all the time- glad u mentioned it to all the moms..again, tfs all this !! :) btw..the kitten pic is just delightful...

Country Liv . . . said...

Oh Vic! I LOVE this post! Those photos of your grands are awesome. I have one of my aunts and uncles in a 'field sled' that is priceless to me and I just might have to paper scrap it! Thanks for the memories!
Hugs,
Liv

A Vintage Chic said...

I really loved this, Vicki...your kitten picture with you and your cousing is one of my favorites of yours--I remember it!

Julie