Friday, January 21, 2011

Stamping on muslin flower tutorial

Hey everyone!  Crafty Secrets is full swing into sharing all of their new products... so be sure to check out all of the fun stuff they are sharing over on the Heartwarming Vintage blog.
A while back I shared a little tutorial on making pretty stamped flowers using vellum and fabric that were stamped on using the "Artsy Banners" set. HERE   Today I'm going to share a flower pin I created by stamping on muslin with the "Art Blooms" set of Clear Art Stamps from Crafty Secrets.  There are some beautiful samples over on the Heartwarming Vintage blog created by our Design Team girls..that you wont want miss. HERE This set is gorgeous ..and perfect for building with.  HERE is another card I created with this set that I posted the other day also.


Here is the "Art Blooms" Clear Art Stamp Set.



For this flower pin... I didn't even cut my pieces into flower shapes.. I just cut circles.  You can decided what size you want your flower to be. ( how big your muslin circle is, the number of layers you add,  and how much you gather your pieces will determine the actual size of your finished flower pin
( I stamped 6 muslin circles, each approx 6 inches across)
I stamped randomly all over each piece, using a different stamp on each one. 


As you can see on the muslin circle below.. I just stamped the pattern around the edge.  I just did this on a couple of them.  (Totally up to you what you choose to do).
After I had finished my stamping (using a quick dry ink to avoid any bleeding), I misted all of the pieces with "chalk Glimmer Mist". ( Strawberry Shortcake).  You could use any glimmer mist..but I would suggest using one with enough color..that you don't have to "saturate" your fabric. This helps you avoid the chance of your ink bleeding ..and also... saves you having to wait for  drying time. (That way..you can keep creating :)





This is where you just do a simple running stitch in a circle ....

and then .. cinch it up , to gather your piece.


Now you just gather, repeat, adding the layers together. (gathering each piece a little tighter as you go, so that the layers become some smaller ... creating the look of the flower)

You can make your flower as full as you like..by adding more layers, or gathering more.  I added a bit of lace to the back of mine..and then attached a pin back so that it can be worn on a sweater or jacket.

Of  course  there are many dies out now that can help you create  these flowers...but this is can be done by just tracing around something round ( something you can just find around the house).  You can add, tulle, vellum, paper, lace, fabric, .. whatever.  Tons of different variations.   

Happy Flower Making!

****************************************

Now.. I don't want to forget to remind you to get your name in for a chance to win my Valentine Give-a-way.  All you have to do.. is leave a comment HERE between now and Monday. The winner will be announced on Monday.  Good luck! 


HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!!


23 comments:

Sarah said...

I have the flower that you made for me on the bulletin board in my studio so that I can enjoy it every day. Thanks for the easy to follow instructions for making one.

pinefeather said...

Vicki, this is SO CUTE! I need to make some :)

SarahB said...

These are beautiful!

Mandy said...

thanks..these are lovely..just may give these a little go when i have a bit more time...xxx

Susan said...

This is beautiful! Thanks for the easy instructions.
Susan

Elaine A said...

Vicki -

Thank you so much for the tutorial on these flowers. They are just so sweet! I will be making these.

Elaine Allen

Daniela said...

This is so pretty.

Susie said...

Oh, i love this flower! I might just get brave and try making one :)
Your ideas always inspire me!

SuZeQ said...

LOVE the flower and thanks for the 'how-to' ... I'm so going to try this. A great giveaway, too.

debbiek said...

Oh Ms. Vicki, I LOVE your flower! Thanks for the instructions. I'll have to try making one. So much fun for a cold, cold weekend project. Will make me feel like spring isn't that far away....

harrahx2 said...

Love the flower and the center piece is so Vicki! Wonderful color choice also my clever friend.

Anonymous said...

Love the flowers. Are you going to CHA? Would love to meet up with you. Marcia Bennett San Jose

Jan said...

Love the flowers and great tutorial :)

Judy said...

love it

the gypsy magpie said...

Such a cute idea to stamp your own fabric- it really makes each one unique!

MomKat said...

Vicki - thank you for sharing this wonderful tutorial. Your flower pin is simply beautiful! Can't wait to buy some muslin and give it a try!

Debbie B said...

I really like your flower. Thanks for the tutuorial. I plan on trying to make these once I get the supplies!! Hope they turn out as pretty as yours!!
\

Debbie B

Dragonlady said...

Hi Vicky

Thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial. Your example is stunning.

Hugs Ali x

Shawna said...

Always fun and inspiring. Thanks!

Bettyann said...

wahoo Vicki..I love these flowers...gorgeous girlfriend..must try them...make creat broaches....lovely goodies..

Kathy said...

Your flower is just lovely and perfect for valentines and mothers day gifts. Cant wait to make some. love all of your creations.

MYLIFEMYPUGSMYSCRAPBOOK said...

Oh that flower is awesome thank you sooooooooooooo much for sharing the technique. I'm gonna make some of these tonight!! : )

Happy Monday Vicki!!

Erin S said...

Just LOVE this pin!