Monday, February 28, 2011

Crafty Secrets DT challenge (Party Theme)

"Party Theme" is a fun way to start the week huh? Well today is the Crafty Secrets Design Team Challenge day.. and the girls have some great party ideas to share.    I chose to use the Artsy Banners stamp set and the "Girlfriends" Image and Journal Book for my party goodies.


By now .. you know how I LOVE this banner set. lol   I saw a cake done with banners strung across it some time ago, and the idea just stuck in my head.  I put two wooden bead on the ends of two small wooden dowels and glued them on. Then painted them with this pretty blue.  I stamped the "celebrate letters (ABC Top Hat set ) and strung them across using string and then attached them to the dowels using pretty ribbon.  They will be so easy to wipe off and pack away for use the next time I need them.

I also used the banner set for creating this card.  I'll show you in steps at the end of this post, how I created the little flower , using one of the borders in this set.

The image above on the card and the "Party Time" on the package below, are from the same page. (In the "Girlfriend" Image and Journal book)
I used a plain blue piece of tissue paper, folded it and cut the edges quickly with my large scalloped scissors, then stamped randomly with the crown stamp from the artsy borders stamp set. I used a number of the border stamps from this set on the front of the gift bag.  This is officially my favorite stamp set :)


Okay.. here's s quick how-to for  making the flower.

Stamp with the large scalloped border ..enough that you will be able to cut 6 individual scalloped pieces.



Cut them apart , leaving a little extra space at the top of each scallop.  (just seems to make it a bit easier to put together with that extra bit at the top)  Go ahead and ink the edges if you want now.


Make one fold down the middle.


Then you will fold again on each side of that, as seen below.


So you'll have 6 pieces like this (below)


I like to use a hot glue gun, simply because it dries so quick , I don't have to hold them in place and can keep going.   You assemble like this.

Put all six together as shown below

To close up the hole in the middle, just push them together as you put a spot of hot glue in the center.


And a button for your center and ... tah dah... a pretty little flower!



Once you've done one...    you can put them together in a snap.

Okay.. now be sure to pop over and check out what the other girls came up with for this challenge.. They never disappoint!


 

  
Vicki Chrisman Team Leader ( already here)




Pam Hooten


Heidi Blankenship


Linda Duke


Michele Kovack


Melissa Phillips

Flo Teixeira 

Julie Campbell


Mary Hamer

Heartwarming Vintage Blog

Crafty Secrets Website



Enjoy!!

20 comments:

Elaine A said...

Vicki -

What an awesome idea for a cake topper! I love that little banner, so clever. Your frame is just so beautiful, in fact you look party ready! Thank you for the tutorial on the flower. It is such a sweet looking one too.

Elaine Allen

lindaduke said...

I LOVE this... and the colors are perfect. Beautiful work.

Pam said...

Oh my goodness, I love your party theme Vicki! That cake banner is so CUTE, umm, the cake looks mighty good too!!

harrahx2 said...

Clever Girl! Love it all and the flower is the bomb! Such a cute idea. How ever do you come up with these things? SmartLeader!!!!

A Vintage Chic said...

Fabulousness all over the place, Miss Vicki! Love your cake banner (almost wrote cake batter!) And that flower is amazing--you're so creative, my friend!

Julie

Pieces of Home Designs said...

Oh wow Vicki! Love your party collection! The tutorial is awesome - I am so going to have to try it! And I can just gobble that cake right up!
xoxo
mary

Holly Moore said...

Wow I love every single idea you have shown here. I simply must have that stamp set. Hugs!

Heidi Blankenship said...

OMGosh I LOVE your party ensemble!! Vicki, thanks for so many wonderful ideas and tips! I love how you created the banner across the cake! That is Fantastic! Folding and cutting the tissue paper another fab idea--one that make me say why didn't I think of that--LOL! Love your flower too!!

Laura - The Stampin' Soldier said...

Oh that's cute!

Carol (HB) said...

I love this whole set! (and the cake looks yummy too!!!).
Thanks for the flower tutorial! It's really adorable!

Susan said...

Great projects and yummy looking cake! Thanks for the sweet flower tutorial.
Susan

cal8007 said...

I have those stamps!! Next time I bake a cake (I'm not a baker hee hee) I'll think about making the banner. Thanks for the tutorial on the flowers.

Fabulous!!

Carmen L

Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage Co. said...

You have really great ideas here Vic, the cake banner, your designer tissue tips and all the ways to use the banner stamp set - including your cool flower idea!

Nancy Wethington said...

Very happy to see these ideas. I have this set and it is one of my favorites! The flowers you made from this set are darling!

linda said...

Such a wonderful project! Thank you so much for the flower-making tip; I've got to give this one a try.

Mrs Ham said...

Vicki your party set is wonderful. I love the banner above the cake

Auntie Em said...

I love your birthday set! I thought the banner hanging over the cake was awesome enough but you added the tutorial for the flowers too!
Thank you for sharing....Now I must go and stamp some tissue paper! :)

harrahx2 said...

I forgot to mention, I'll take a slice of cake!

Carla said...

I love every bit of this project, and your staging is so perfect!!

Jan said...

Good morning, Miss Vicki :)
LOVE your projects and the flower tutorial is so cool! Thanks for your sweet comment, too :) Hope your Mom is feeling much better!