Thursday, March 24, 2011

Fancy Pants Altered Tin

You know how I love finding a good deal and  ... and bringing new life to something by altering it with pretty papers and embellishments.  Ahhhh.. repourposing .. nothing more fun in this crafters life, I can tell you that much.  I totally enjoy the process.   Actually even before that comes.. I love just looking for things, and thinking ... of the possibilities.     This project was altered using Red spray paint.Green Acrylic paint( for the chipboard), Chalkboard paint, Fancy Pants Chipboard and Fancy Pants, "It's the Little Things" paper line.

This (below) is that I found for $2.88
Woo Hoo.. let the altering begin!


Fancy Pants Designs "It's the Little Things"


The die I used to create the flower was is a Spellbinders die. The black center flower is one of the die cut pieces from this line.  The green painted chipboard pieces.. were originally one large piece that I cut in half.


After painting the bottom piece with red spray paint, (inside and out). Then I painted the lid ( top and bottom) with chalkboard paint.
Since the lid is painted with chalkboard paint on the top and the bottom, I can write with chalk on both.  I thought it would be fun to take to family gatherings or get togethers and be able to write a message on the lid to be propped up behind the cookies, muffins, cake, chips.. whatever I was bringing.

( lol I actually had to remove this photo because I realized I had spelled "banana"... bannan) lol
But you get the idea...you can write on the inside of the lid also


I just lined the bottom with paper doilies ( or even waxed paper), so that I can easily wipe it out after use.
Kind of a fun project.   I know I'll use this alot this summer.

I have been using Chalkboard paint on tin things alot lately.   I've never used the "brush on kind" but the spray on is SO easy!  I found it at Hobby Lobby, but I'm sure you can probably even find it at most hardware stores.

I also make this simple memo board for my craft room door.  I have a number of these old tray that I have picked up at antique store that I love and would never paint...but this one... was, NOT so pretty. lol  Kind of ugly pattern on it actually.... So ... I didn't feel bad at all painting it.


made it in about 15 minute.  Just used some Scrapbook Adhesives (double sided) Crafty Power tape to add a crepe paper ruffle to the edge and hot glued a flower and some leaves on it.  (also works as a magnet board.. so I added some pretty little glass marble magnets).


Right now , I'm working on kitting classes, so that sign should say "Enter at your own risk" instead of Welcome.     geeezzzzz... barely a place to walk in here right now. 
I guess I better get busy and get it done , so I can clean up soon.

Happy Day Everyone!

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Your treat tin with the chalk board top is such a great idea and so practical.

Jan said...

Very cute and would look so nice in my house :)

Jackie said...

Love that tin!!

Mrs Ham said...

Terrific work, and those muffins look yummy

debbiek said...

Cute projects, Ms. Vicki. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend:)

harrahx2 said...

OMG Vic, absolutely adorable. I need to learn to paint like that! You always see the good things inside. I want that talent. I love it!

Gail S. said...

Great projects!! Hope you have a great weekend - stay inside where it's warm :)

A Vintage Chic said...

Girl--everything you touch is just magic! Love it all, my friend!

Hope you're having a fabulous weekend!

Julie

Marlene (cards4u) said...

You are so clever - what a great idea! Love it : )

malia said...

fellow chalkboard paint lover here...
i have a whole bag of things in my garage just waiting for a little black chalkboard spray paint! your projects look great!