Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Guest Blogger: Michelle Jackson and Vintage Street Market



Hi There!
My name is Michelle Jackson, and I live in gorgeous Northern Colorado with my husband, Mark,  and our two kiddos-Meghan (11) and Matthew (8). I am so thrilled to have been asked by Vicki to be a Guest Blogger! What fun, and a little bit scary I have to say. How do you begin to step into those awesomely creative Vicki shoes???? Well, here goes...

I met Vicki just a few years ago while I managed the Design Team of a scrapbooking manufacturer, and we both contributed to the blog. We were also able to visit at CHAs over the years, and bunk together at Archiver's Scrapfest (FYI, Vicki is a super fun roomie!). I'm so happy to call Vicki one of my friends, and so excited to have her support as I launch my own company, along with my good friend Allison Rittner-Vintage Street Market (www.vintagestreetmarket.com).




If you haven't visited us yet, Vintage Street Market is a wonderful source for all things vintage. We develop kits that include authentic vintage and vintage-inspired materials. Additionally, this last winter CHA, we also released our own branded products-Paper Sheets & Tags and Tinted Tape that are available to retailers to carry in their own store. I want to share some projects that I created using each of these items.



First is Party Games. This set is reminiscent of board games from the 40s and 50s. Very bright and colorful and great for all sorts of pages. Each 13x13" reusable envelope contains 2 double-sided 24"x36" Paper Sheets, 1 24x36" sheet crepe paper, 1 24"x36" sheet foil paper and a 12x12" sheet of colorful die cuts and tags. These Paper Sheets can be used for large projects (decoupaging a dresser for instance), or are sized in 12x12" squares so that they can be used for layouts. Additionally, there is repeat imagery, which is a bonus for card makers. These Paper Sheets are the same weight as a nice quality wrapping paper, so that they can also be used to wrap a gift! Very multi-purpose.

This is a 6x6" mini layout that I did of my son Matthew. As the Paper Sheets are a lighter weight, I trimmed the yellow polka dotted square down and layered it on a piece of cardstock. The title "PLAY" is trimmed from another Paper Sheet image.  The bingo card and spinner are 2 of the die cuts included in the kit, as is the red foil, which I crimped into a flower. The yellow crepe makes a neat ruffle at the bottom and is further trimmed with Vintage Street Market Tinted Tape-Numbers (each dispensers contains 70 FEET of acid free tape!). Its so fun having all of these textures in one package!









Here's also a card I made from Party Games, this time sticking with a green theme. Again, the "Happy" title was trimmed from the paper, and the frog and mini "Hooray" come from the die cuts. Numbers Tinted Tape makes a cute border on this one too!


Tinted Tape comes in 4 patterns: Aged (distressed brown), Soot (distressed black), Linen (ivory texture) and Numbers (clear with black numbers in various fonts).




Next is Dimestore Vogue. This set also includes the large 24x36" printed sheets, foil, crepe, and die cuts but in a 40s fashion theme.

With this set, I created little posies using small plastic storage containers.  With a 2 inch circle punch, I punched out the lady's faces from the printed paper, and added a brown crepe ruffle, which I fringed,  to frame them.




Aqua foil comes in this paper kit. I cut a band of aqua foil, punched a border (it punches like butter!), and wrapped that around the bottle. I then adhered the fringed circle to the front, and added a forget me not and some Stickles as further decoration. A tag, bow and of course, flowers, finish it off! Wouldn't these look cute at a lady's luncheon?




Vintage Street Market is also known for its vintage kits. These kits are made from authentic vintage components that are accented by current vintage-inspired products. This is a pic of our current Patriotic Vintage kit.  It includes vintage ephemera, vintage ribbon, vintage tinsel, vintage beading, a vintage star ornament...even a vintage wrapper from a Cracker Jack box! Lots of fun, UNIQUE goodies to work with! As these are composed of authentic vintage items, the quantities of these kits are very limited. Several themes are currently available, and I invite you to come check them out!




With this Patriotic kit, and a bit of the Dimestore Vogue Paper Sheets & Tags, I made this fun garland. The Lady Liberty that you see, is one of the Dimestore Vogue ladies trimmed from the Paper Sheets. The reverse of that paper is a monochromatic dress pattern which makes for a great silhouette!



1950s tinsel looks so festive around this die cut, which was then layered onto a vintage air mail envelope.



Vintage red ornaments are also a very unique embellishment and really complement the vintage ticket and stamp.



Its so exciting to see how popular vintage is now in all sorts of crafting. At Vintage Street Market, we love sharing our love of vintage, and enjoy the hunt of finding just the right vintage piece. But, we also enjoy, SO MUCH, hearing the memories that our products evoke, and appreciate when our Facebook followers and blog followers take the time to leave a comment sharing that memory.


Do either  the Party Games or Dimestore Vogue kits remind you of games you used to play or projects you used to sew with someone special?  What is your favorite 4th of July memory? I remember swirling sparklers in the air to spell my name, and watching fireworks from the car when I was young because the noise was just too scary!

Thank you again Vicki for inviting me to share on your blog and you, readers, for reading all the way to the end!


Happy June!
Michelle



10 comments:

Julie Higgins said...

Loved your projects! You are very creative:) Thanks, Julie

Marlene (cards4u) said...

Love seeing and hearing about your business! Next on my to do list - "go to the market" : )

Have A Great Day!

A Vintage Chic said...

Wonderful, Michelle! I'm quite a fan already, as you know! Vicki really IS a "super fun roomie" and a great friend!

Nice to learn a little more about you, Michelle!

Julie

harrahx2 said...

Great projects Michelle. Vicki speaks highly of your products!

Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage Co. said...

Oh M... I love ya girl! thanks so so much for such a fun post. Love all the projects you shared.

Vicki C said...

Ok... can you tell, Sandy and I have been on eachothers computers???lol that last comment was from ME :)

Nathalie Kalbach said...

I'm your fan :) I love the creations and I love your company!!!!

Jan said...

Great projects...beautiful products! The image of the frog is just toooo cute! Congrats on Guest Designer for Vicki :)

Renee VanEpps said...

Dimestore Vogue reminded me of one of my fave toys of the early 80's -Fashion Plates! Oh does it bring back good memories.. I loved rubbing on the clothes and then coloring them in! Guess that's why I love scrapbooking and cardmaking so much :)

Jane Wetzel said...

great company and love your projects!