Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Enjoy the process

I love chatting with other crafters. It's always fun to spend time with others who share your hobbies and interests. Lately I've had a chance to chat with some some "new to paper crafts" friends.  It's always good for me to be around people who are just getting starting in this,... be it in a class I'm teaching or just conversing with friends. Why?? because it quickly reminds me that not everyones world revolves around paper and glue.. like mine seems to at times..lol, and  also that I need to be sure to not just assume people know where to even begin, when they do decide they want to start scrapbooking, card making ect...  I think we crafters can be very intimidating at times, with all our "gadgets" and rooms filled with every craft supply known to man. :)   The truth is there are lots of people out there that love to craft or would like to get started crafting, that don't have a clue what the names are of the top Manufactures or what the the "hippest" paper line out right now is ( and probably don't care). lol   They just want to enjoy the process, and create!  Really... there are lots of people that want to craft (as a hobby), without becoming so consumed by it that they have to  lay in bed at night dreaming of the new stamp release coming out next month.( like some of us)  haha    
  So I decided to do a blog post showing easy ideas for adding dimension to products, for simple distressing tips and  adding interest with little details.    I thought the easiest way to do that would be to just create a project and share some of these things along the way.    So I created this little altered hanging.

I used papers from the "Creating with Vintage Images CD" , and "Love Mail" Creative Scraps, both from Crafty Secrets.



You can use anything for your base to work from , chipboard, wood ect, I'm using this back piece from a vintage photo holder.

If I want a different colored background I often use a basic acrylic paint.  I usually never completely cover the background with paint, when I'm trying to achieve a shabby look. Let a little of the background show through.  Shabby = not perfect :)  this is a time to embrace the chance to be a little messy, not be a perfectionist.  Using a soft brown ink pad, and rubbing it ( lightly) , not only around the edges of your project, but over any raised areas, gives it an aged look and adds interest.   My personal favorite is ColorBox  Chalk Cat Eye from Clearsnap. Color Chestnut Roan



And below.. is my old tried and true "tracing wheel" technique.  It's been around a while but is still worth it's weight in gold as far as I'm concerned.  If you don't have a sewing machine or are working on a project that you can actually stitch through, all you need is a inexpensive tracing wheel.  You can find them in the sewing dept of any store that carries fabric or sewing supplies.  You just apply pressure as you run the wheel around any of the areas of your project that you want to create a faux stitched look.  The little perforations the wheel makes really does give the effect of stitching.

Using a distressing tool like this, around the edges of your images, or paper, can add  interest and give  the paper  a worn look.

 If you don't have a distressing tool, you can use the sharp edge of your scissors.


When it comes to my photos I don't like to get that aggressive, but I do use a emery board on the edges to get a similar, but a bit more subtle look.  ( without risking bending or tearing my photo)



Adding dimension to your project really adds interest.  One easy way to do this is with 3D Foam Squares. They are adhesive on both sides, so all you to is use them to attach your paper piece, image, ect.. to your altered project.
You don't always have to add them to the entire piece. Lots of times I just add them to one edge, letting the other edge be flush with the project background.

 

It's amazing how much charm "the little things" can give your vintage projects. The extra attention you pay to distressing, inking ect, never goes unnoticed.  Once you've staged you background and added your photo and larger images, you can work on the little details. Those extra little things that aren't always the first things you notice when you look at the project, but that defiantly pull it all together. The special finishing touches.  I think it's these little things are what really "make" the project, most times.   ( this is usually my favorite part of the creative process). 
  I  cut a small butterfly image from my Creative Scraps sheet, and added it to the decorative straight pin. ( below) 


I used a simple glitter pen like this to outline the butterfly to make it stand off the project even more.  I love this pen!


I tucked my butterfly pin down into my the top part of my flowers and ribbon cluster. 


I'm always get recharged when I talk to people who are  just getting started scrapbooking/card making ect    You see them getting bitten by "the bug". Excited about fun products they find that fit perfectly for what they are wanting to work on.  And seeing how fun it is for them to show off their finished projects.
So this post is for you girls!  I hope you found some tips you can use in the future.
And keep in mind there are many online communities with forums where you can ask questions, learn techniques and meet other crafters from beginers to advanced.   Some of the nicest people I've ever met have been ones I've met online, through this hobby, so dont be afraid to reach out and ask questions.

And remember , when you CREATE.. take time to enjoy the process!


PS.  Dont forget to get your name in for the giveaway in the post below :)


Enjoy the day

 

30 comments:

Nathalie Kalbach said...

so true and what a wonderful post!

Margie said...

Thanks for taking the time to give such great advice - even though I've been crafting for a while, I still learned a few tips today!

Mickie said...

Great advise for all starting out. You certainly don't have to have every new gadget, just use some imagination. Wonderful project you did also!

Debby said...

I was at
Archivers over the week-end. They had a make-n-take that involved a tracing wheel. It punched holes but not in a straight line. I used kraft paper and it didn't go all the way through. Then you were to sew in the holes. I thought.....how much I love that old things are coming back.
You are so good with all that you share. Thanks.

Donna said...

What a great tutorial for anyone! Thanks for sharing it, Vicki. And like you, I swear by my Cats Eye Chestnut Roan----can never keep enough of it on hand!! LoL!

harrahx2 said...

Well, it's not just for beginers! LOL, I have a very old wheel like your red one. I NEVER thought to use it like that but will now! Dang, I need a brain! I am totally the tin man when it comes to thinking out of the box. Hugs!

Sue A said...

Thanks Vicki for your great comments and advice. I have a couple of friends that are paper craft beginners and I have been helping them create projects. Your words of wisdom and project was just what I needed to hear!

Gisèle said...

What an excellent post...We do seem to take fro granted all we know but its so fun to share and teach others..

Shirley said...

Thanks, Vicki, for giving out such great tips!! I am always looking for new ideas and things to "spark" my creativity!! Would love to win your giveaway!!

Sharron aka Sharrahug said...

Thanks so much for sharing your creative process. It's always nice to see how other people craft.
Loved the idea about using those old photo holders. I have a ton of those (I think I'm showing my age. LOL)
Huggies ~
Sharron♥

roserae said...

What a lovely post! I never thought of using my sewing wheel to add distress. Love the project you created! I'm inspired to create my own awesome wedding keepsake!

Dawnll - Dawn's Craft Place said...

Such a great tutorial! Thanks for sharing the great steps.
Such a beautiful project

Diana said...

Thank you for the great ideas. I loved the butterfly on the pin. Cute, cute. I must dig out my tracing wheel too. Thanks. Love your art.

Darlene G said...

What a wonderful tutorial. I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one with a room full of stamping supplies!! The butterfly is adorable and I will give that a try. Thanks for taking the time to do this tutorial.

Anonymous said...

LOVE that vintage photo holder back piece!!! What a fantastic item to use as a base for your project! I really appreciate all the tips you shared in your tutorial, especially about using the tracing wheel. What a genious you are!!!

TFS,
Victoria Merrick
angelicmsn1@aol.com

Sunfairy said...

Beautiful project Vicki and thanks so much for all the terrific techniques! I always wondered how to get that faux stitching look! I loved how you added the butterfly to the stick pin, too! TFS :)
Ann Marie

Mike said...

These crafting tips should help me increase my Rift professions. By picking the right grouping of Skills I will be able to skill quicker and acquire more money.

Michaels coupons

Lea Sorley said...

Thank you for sharing your process and ideas. I always look at a project and wonder "how". You were able to answer some questions, thank you. Loved the project.

Bonnie Williamson said...

Thanks for taking the time to show us how you do what you do. I love your style and am always amazed at what you create.

Becky said...

Very nice tutorial! Thanks for all of the tips! Your finished project is so pretty!

malia said...

What fun to get some insight into your creative process! Thanks Miss Vicki and I am still waiting to hear if we get to see you in Seattle for the CKC event! xo

Lynnette said...

I love your work it is just a really nice inspiration to me to see what other people do with their supplies. I am just starting to experiment with different art from just scrapbook pages to decorate my scrapbook cave so this is just what I needed. Thanks so very much!

bethann said...

what a sweet and lovely project. great tips, sometimes i need reminders even tho i've been stamping/scrapping for a while now.

Pearl Maple said...

That is a great post Vicki, full of lots of creative ideas

carla said...

I have loved looking at ur blog, and think I might stalk u for awhile......hope this is okay:) u r an inspiring gal

Jane said...

Thank you soooooo much for all the wonderful tips - need to find my old tracing wheel now! Your finished project is beautiful - thanks for showing how you did it!
Jane-Jacksonville

LauraB said...

great job, Miss Vicki! just lead the newbies in to the circle-they WILL learn how rewarding it is to fidn their inner craftwoman! hugs!!

melodymellinger said...

Always love to see what other scrapbookers like to do with their pages.

MMS said...

Great post and I am getting my sewing gadget (circa 1980) out of the sewing archive! I came across your blog via Crafty Secrets - great find for me! And oh, I love the music on you blog...awesome!

Blogger said...

Searching for the Ultimate Dating Site? Create an account to find your perfect match.