Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A little bit more sharing

While I still have "theme" music up.. I thought I'd share the other three cards I did with a the retro theme.   Mondays challenge was fun.. and the projects the DT created were all amazing!  If you didn't get to check them out, you can get all the links below in Mondays post.    I had these three other cards I wanted to share, while we on a roll with this theme.  All of the papers I used are from the "Creating with Vintage Patterns CD" and the Images are from the "Girlfriend" double sided Creative Scraps.
The stamps used on the "I love you" card above is from the "Twinkle Stars" Clear Art stamp set.  I think they are perfect for a Retro feel background or accent. It was fun to add rhinestones to the centers for extra bling.     

 I used the same stamp set to create the border on the card below.  Instead of using bling on this, I used my SAKARA clear stardust pen.


The stamped border on the card below is from the "Mini Memories" Clear Art stamp set.



Oh... retro is just fun.

______________________________________________________

I know, I know.. you're thinking... "her dogs again"? lol   Yep.   As  ridiculous as I am about taking photos of my dogs.. can you even image how obnoxious I could be if  I had grand kids. lol

I love both these pooches so much, but Molly is more likely to stick with Dan, (I'm thinking ..it's just because he goes outside more than I do :) ha , but the little sweetie face below.. is my sidekick morning, noon and night.  I've had alot of pets over the years... but this one ... well, she's just extra special.


What???  I changed gears on you didn't I? lol    I just had to share this photo of a  Praying Mantis , Dan saw out side on one of our trees.  He knows I come running with my camera, when he spots something interesting.  I love living in the country and so does he. As long as this thing stays OUTSIDE..... I think it's pretty cool! 


It's always good to learn something new... so here's some interesting facts about Praying Mantis.  When I looked them up, I was pretty amazed by a couple of things about them.  Okay.. so if you just don't feel up to reading it all.... you just have to read what I printed in "bold".   INTERESTING
 Fast Facts
National Geographic

Type:Bug

Diet: Carnivore

Average life span in the wild:12 months

Size:0.5 to 6 in (1.2 to 15 cm) long

Size relative to a tea cup: The praying mantis is named for its prominent front legs, which are bent and held together at an angle that suggests the position of prayer. The larger group of these insects is more properly called the praying mantids. Mantis refers to the genus mantis, to which only some praying mantids belong.

By any name, these fascinating insects are formidable predators. They have triangular heads poised on a long "neck," or elongated thorax. Mantids can turn their heads 180 degrees to scan their surroundings with two large compound eyes and three other simple eyes located between them.

Typically green or brown and well camouflaged on the plants among which they live, mantis lie in ambush or patiently stalk their quarry. They use their front legs to snare their prey with reflexes so quick that they are difficult to see with the naked eye. Their legs are further equipped with spikes for snaring prey and pinning it in place.

Moths, crickets, grasshoppers, flies, and other insects are usually the unfortunate recipients of unwanted mantid attention. However, the insects will also eat others of their own kind. The most famous example of this is the notorious mating behavior of the adult female, who sometimes eats her mate just after—or even during—mating. Yet this behavior seems not to deter males from reproduction.

Females regularly lay hundreds of eggs in a small case, and nymphs hatch looking much like tiny versions of their parents

****************************************************
 
See .. now you can go out and "wow" someone with your knowledge of Praying Matis :)
 
 
 
 
 
Have a really great day!!

Vic
 
 
 

6 comments:

MJ said...

You make such great retro cards! Love your sentiments re your pets too!

Marlene (cards4u) said...

Learn something new every day - interesting tidbit about the "notorious" mating behavior of the female praying mantis! Yes I read it to the end : )No pun intended. BTW love how you manage to use all those little extra stamps for backgrounds and accents!

Enjoy Your Big Weekend!!

Renee VanEpps said...

These retro cards are STUNNING!! Creative scraps are so pretty, and your details are just the perfect addition! Your dogs are adorable, and the bug, well.. YUCK!!!!! double yuck!!!!!!! LOL Cool pic though!

Jan said...

ok...first, I'd like to be able to turn my head 180 degrees..and the fact about the mating behavior...what? Who does that?? LOL!
Love your pooches...so sweet!
Your retro cards are all so neat and you're beyond talented in all you do!
Hope your Mom is doing swell and getting stronger each day :)

harrahx2 said...

Yes I know they eat their mates....makes us females look like saints, right~ Laughing in Maryland!

debbiek said...

Love the cards and the photos of your pups, Ms. Vicki! You have me on the floor LOL with your praying mantis info. Especially the part where they eat the males after mating....omg!!!

Have a wonderful weekend.
- DebbieK