Monday, October 24, 2011

Crafty Secrets Design Team Gift Bag/Envelope Challenge

Happy Monday Everyone!  What a great way to start it out ... with a Crafty Secrets DT challenge!   I'm always excited about challenge days.. cant wait to see all the beautiful creations the girls have been working on.  We've started something else really fun .. we are inviting you to play along:)  This weeks challenge will be Gift Bag Envelope Challenge. You can watch the video HERE from Incredible Things.com on how to turn any envelope from small to jumbo size into a cute gift bag! Our DT Ladies are using this idea and will be posting all sorts of fabulous projects in a variety of themes! If you want to play along using any of our products you can post on our Facebook page   ( more about prizes on the Heartwarming Vintage Blog:)

****************************

If you watch the video you will see how you can take any size envelope and turn it into a gift bag.  The bigger the envelope the bigger the bag of course, but you can also change how wide your bag is, by making your side folds bigger.   I went BIG, and used a manila envelope to create my bag.



Shape above was used for the front of the bag.  AccuCut die "Label (Clear Cuts) L 1800A
My plan was to create a fairly large gift bag that could hold a dozen cookies.   The other thing I was really hoping to be able to do, was to cut a shape and add a transparent piece to the front of the bag, so that the cookies could be seen.   Before assembling the bag I cut the envelope along the seam in the back ,and along the bottom, so that I could cut the shape out of the front only, not all the way threw both the front and the back.  Next, I cut and adhered pieces of patterned papers to the front and back of my bag.  I then marked off to center where I wanted to cut my shape from the front, before running it through my AccuCut machine and cutting it. I cut and adhered a piece of clear transparency (or acrylic) to the inside of the bag to cover the opening the shape created.  Once that is all  done, I taped my envelope back together along the back and bottom before starting to fold and assemble my gift bag.  Like I said, I decided to make the fold I did for the sides, much bigger (deeper) so that they would make my bag wide enough for the cookies.




I wanted to incorporate a old spoon into the closer at the top of the bag, once I had the cookies inside.  I then created this little "Made by" tag to attach to the bag and....

Another little recipe card.



Whenever I give cookies I always like to give the recipe :)   These cookies are easy and SO yummy!
I used stamps from the "Kitchen Classics" Set of Clear Art Stamps.


Well that is my "envelope to bag" project, done with a large manila envelope in a cooking theme. Now... you'll  want to check out what the other  DT members have created.  Trust me.. each one is so unique... different sizes , uses and themes!   Below you will find the links to all the DT members blogs as well as to the Heartwarming Vintage blog, where you can find out more about playing along with our challenge and info on chances to win Crafty Secrets goodies.




Pam Hooten

Heidi Blankenship


Michele Kovak


Linda Duke


Julie Campbell


Amy Teets


Debbie Marcinkiewicz


Fauve vanMaanen


Gini Cagle


Jan Hennings


Tammy Roberts


Victoria Warren-Mear


Viola Mahr

Heartwarming Vintage Blog



I thought I'd share  a few photos from the weekend since  I have you in the mood for cookies, why not show you some more yummy food , to really make you hungry. lol  Thanks right?? lol     We had company from SD this weekend.  My Aunt ( moms sister) , my cousin and his wife.     Saturday we were invited to my sisters for the day. She had everything done up so pretty, I have to share some photos again.


Oh.. and  food again.. sorry. lol

My Aunt Viv made her homemade carrot cake, and.....


caramel rolls.  You know how some people are just "know" for certain Delicious recipes? Well, these are defiantly my Aunt Vivs!     It was such a nice weekend. We all enjoyed visiting together, AND the weather could not have been more enjoyable. (especially for late Oct in NE).


But the point of the weekend was to have mom and Aunt Viv be able to spend some time together. With them living over 4 hours from eachother, both being close to 90 years old , and winters in SD and NE known for being pretty harsh, its getting harder and harder for them to see eachother.    When everyone was gone  Friday afternoon, I got them both a cup of apple cider , and  busied myself in the kitchen, so they could chat.

Priceless

We enjoyed having family here this weekend and also enjoyed the time we spent with family in Lincoln on Sat afternoon.    Reminisced about memories from years past and also created some new ones.
Good times.

Hope your weekend was a good one also.

Vic

19 comments:

Tammy Roberts said...

Simply adorable Vicki!!! All that food made me hungry... think I will go see what I can whip up!!

Jan Hennings said...

wow...you've been super busy! Everything you do is just gorgeous and love your little gift bag! The recipe looks good, too. I may have to give it a try!

Debbie said...

Soooooooooooo adorable, Vicki! Such a FAB idea to use a larger envelope and fill it with cookies -- I LOVE it :)

Vio said...

OOoooh..... it's so sweet! and I love your food pictures too it's making me hungry :)

*Fauve* said...

WOW Vicki,that bag is amazing!I love how you cut the front so you can see whats in the bag,Lovely!!

Pam said...

Super cute envy project Miss Vic!
Love your pic's of your weekend too, holy cow, now I'm starving, it all looks SO yummy!

Debby said...

I love what you did with the challenge. Sounds like you had a great week-end. Mine was quiet.

Renee VanEpps said...

Oh that last pic is such a beautiful one! Love the gorgeous bag you created, can't wait to watch that video and hopefully play along with this challenge if I ever find a free second ;) Hugs!

Linda D said...

WOW Vicki, I'm hungry now LOL!! Love your project, and looks like you had a wonderful weekend.

debbiek said...

Oh Ms. Vicki, I love, love, love your cute little cookie bag. Gosh I wish someone would give me cookies in a bag sooooo cute like that. I have a real THING for bags and boxes. I'd enjoy that as much as munching away on the cookies themselves....lol! Silly girl am I, no?

You are so sweet to leave your mom and aunt some time together. That IS priceless, do doubt about it.

beadz said...

Vicki, I love the window that you added to your bag - very cute. And by the way - I want to come to parties at your house! Looks too fun!
hugs,
Gini

Cynthia said...

Great project, Vick! I need to check out the video.

Regina aka Mrs. Ham said...

You have managed to make a manilla envelope look just to pretty.

harrahx2 said...

Oh Vicki, you and your sister are both so skilled at interior design. I love what you both do. The decorations are wonderful and your bag is so perfectly put together. Will try these cookies,like I did the last ones. Will also try to make the bag if time permits. I love it!!!!

Rita Barakat said...

WHy oh why do I live so far away from you! You are always doing the most adorable things! I love that last pic of your mom and aunt Viv! Even if we only see the tops of thirs heads!

stampqueen said...

Great envalope bag!!!! Looks like you had an awesome weekend with family too!!!! Your pictures are making me hungry!!!! :)

MYLIFEMYPUGSMYSCRAPBOOK said...

That cookie bag is just totally awesome! I love how you made it. And so unique, I can definately see why you are the top person in many design teams you truly create unique items!!

Amy said...

LOVE everything!!

Excell Print said...

wow "Crafty Secrets Design Team Gift Bag/Envelope Challenge". I love what you did with the challenge. Sounds like you had a great week-end. Mine was quiet. Your information is really informative for us.

Envelope Printing
Printed Envelopes