Friday, November 11, 2011

Autumn Centerpiece (Glimmer Mist techniques)

I thought today would be a good day to share a idea for a easy centerpiece for Thanksgiving.  Since Thanksgiving is right around the corner and this months theme on the Tattered Angels blog  is using Screens, Stencils, Templates and Masks,  I thought I'd show you tips on how to create this.

You'll need a small pumpkin or gourd for your base.  A few silk flowers, paper and The colors of Glimmer Mist you  choose.  I used Red Velvet, Trunk Bay, Sugar Maple and Harvest Orange.   As you can see, a flower die of some kind will come in handy... but you can hand cut if you are only doing a few.  There are lots of flower templates out there that are free to use also. ( just google free flower templates:)

To start, you'll want to create your papers that you will cut your flowers from.  You can use any stencil.. plastic, brass, or even make your own or find something around the house that will make a fun pattern.
The key to creating a nice pattern is not to put too much Glimmer Mist on at one time.  If you do.. it will run under the stencil and you loose the crispness of the pattern.  (remember multiple light coats rather than one heavy coat).
Once I lift up my screen, I let my patterned paper dry a minute or so, before adding more Glimmer Mist over it.  This will help avoid bleeding of the colors and loosing your pattern.

You never have to waste the excess Glimmer Mist on your screen, or stencil, just flip it over onto the paper and create a reverse pattern with it like shown below.

This effect below is created just from the excess Glimmer Mist on the screen.

After I have the base pattern on my papers , and have let them set  just a minute, I can then take my other colors and add color to the top.  This will fill in where the white paper was showing threw.  This is a fun time to spay different colors and let them blend. Blot away excess with paper towels.

I used my AccuCut Machine to cut my flowers.  I used the two smaller flowers on the  "Flowers #6 " die F1445LC


Once they are cut.. I just punch a small hole in the center of each.


I disassemble my silk flowers and add my paper flowers just under the center piece of the silk flower... then put them right back together.   ( the silk flowers you use can be already colored.. OR you can spray them with Glimmer Mist, and make them whatever colors you choose).  Now just arrange them by poking the ends of the wire stems in to the pumpkin/gourd.  ( hint:  I found that it was easier to brush the Glam onto the flowers once they were already poked into the pumpkin, as they stayed in place well, and it was a good holder for them when they were drying).


Spraying all the flowers with a topcoat of "Iridescent Gold" Glimmer Mist is always really pretty, but this time I chose to brush onTwinkle Toes Glam .  I not only brushed in on the paper flowers but also on my gourd. 




I LOVED the look it gave my gourd especially!





Now you can embellish with ribbon, smaller flowers,buttons ect.     hint: I use the excess Glimmer Mist to color my standard white string.  Easy way to have matching string for your buttons. Just lay it in the Glimmer Mist, then take a paper towel and wipe the string dry.


I used an image from Crafty Secrets sheet of Autumn Blessings Cuts.

and Embossed Chipboard Frames.  I put two frames together so that it would look nice from both sides.  You can see the image below is different from photo at the top. One is the back and one the front.


You can see all the different ideas and projects the Tattered Angels Design Team created so far this month HERE on the Tattered Angels Blog.

Also remember if you are interested in trying out for the Tattered Angels Design Team the call is open until November 16th.

******************************************


Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and then before we know it.... Christmas.  My sis is here today helping mom address her Christmas cards.  How sweet is that?   I put some Christmas Music on for them to get them in the mood :)    Jan's helping mom put together a short Christmas letter and I'll get it typed up, so we can keep everyone updated one how she has been doing. 


Speaking of how sweet my sister is .... LOOK at this daring creamer she gave me.  Her and I both had the same idea for it :)    Perfect string dispenser!

I just wrapped some of my favorite string around this wooden spoon, dropped it in and threaded it threw the hole in it's mouth.    Do you have "staple" supplies you use alot?? Well this string is one of mine.  Now I have a cute little dispenser for it. yay!


Okay, time for me to get a little something CREATIVE done today.  I'm looking forward to it, because I'll be using images from the new Crafty Secrets CD2 "Creating with Vintage Illistrations" and it's AMAZING!  You can see some peeks of whats on it  HERE


Have a wonderful weekend my friends!


Vic

11 comments:

malia said...

Love the flowers and the string dispenser... have a great weekend!

Jan Hennings said...

love your gorgeous centerpiece and so glad your Mom is getting stronger :)

dibsndabs said...

Thanks for the step-by-step tutorial. I know it is alot of work but it is greatly appreciated! Norma

jan said...

Lovely bouquet and creativity!! Thanks for sharing.

harrahx2 said...

I love the colours you used on the centerpiece. So glad your mom is doing better and getting stronger. The picture was terrific because of the polka dot mug, your sister's top which has a bit of polka dot look to it and your moms striped colors! Makes me wish I was sitting across the table! Hugs Vic.

Staci said...

What did you use in between the 2 chipboard frames to give it height? Bamboo skewers? Floral stems? Love the project, its gorgeous!!

Jane Wetzel said...

amazing again miss Vicki! I so want to make something like this for my Thanksgiving table this year..hope I find the time! tfs!

Marlene (cards4u) said...

So many great tips and ideas tucked away in this post!! Your center piece turned out great! Love your new string holder and I am so glad God blessed you with such a sweet sis : )

Gail S. said...

Such a pretty centerpiece!!! I bought some Glimmer Glam and love it!!! I also love the creamer your sis got you - great idea with the string. Hope your week in going good.

Nathalie Kalbach said...

wonderful!!!! I love this!

Peg said...

Awesome, thanks so much for the tutorial 'cause I sooo love that project! And now I need to go and look for a new string dispenser....
:+D