Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Glimmer Misted Fall basket liner

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
I have so many more things to share with you, of projects make with the new Crafty Secrets " Creating with Vintage Illustrations CD" so... be sure to pop back...but right now I have one last Fall project I wanted to squeeze in.   
Before I jump into this tutorial I want to tell you about an awesome free Thanksgiving Printable you can get on the Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage Blog  I don't want to you to miss out, because it's gorgeous.


It's a basket liner that I made using Glimmer Mist and Fancy Pants Felt pieces.

If you've ever worked with Fancy Pants felt pieces, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about when I say "Its amazing stuff".    It's not traditional light weight felt.. it's much much nicer.  Easy to cut and a joy to stitch on! 

I'll show you how I did it.  Super easy!  You can whip one up in no time.   I found these plain inexpensive bandanas in the craft department at Walmart. (I've now seen them at Hobby Lobby also).

Lay your open fabric up on your misting mat, or lay down some paper towels if you don't have a misting mat.
( I wast sure how much the fabric would absorb the GM when I started.. so I used paper towels and my mat.)  It's best not the saturate the fabric , because you'll loose the definition of your leaf edges if you do.  If you want more color, it's always best when using stencils, to do multiple layers letting them dry in between, rather than too much at once.  You don't want it to run under you stencil. 
Randomly lay out any leaf shapes you like.  (you can even use real leaves if you like).  I started misting over them first with  Harvest Orange  Glimmer mist.

 

Once you have the layer done, and you let if dry a bit, you can start adding more light layers of other colors to get a blending effect. I added Sugar Maple and  Sunflower . Don't be afraid to lay your leaves down and spray over your entire fabric again with a different color. Laying the leaves down so they are overlapping your original leaf prints really helps give a dimensional effect that is cool.


I just kept adding color until I achieved the effect I wanted.   Below is my finished piece.  I ironed it hoping to not only make it look nice :) ..but hoping this really set the color into the fabric.  (But remember Glimmer Mist is a "water based" dye.. so this is not washable).   
 

I find doing the "blanket stitch" so therapeutic for some reason. lol   I love doing it around something like this when I sit down to watch a movie with Dan. lol  He's always wanting me to watch movies on the weekend.. and well,   I'm not much on watching TV unless I'm doing something else "while I'm watching".  I think I need to do more stitching..then we're both happy.  Me jumping up every 10 minutes to start the washer or dryer, seems to annoy him for some reason. lol  men


 
It does make a pretty little liner for my basket of gourds :)

 

We are having our big family Thanksgiving together, so we are looking forward to seeing everyone.  Wes has to work and wont make it, so I'm kind of  sad about that, but we will talk with him and also save him some turkey and pumpkin pie.   
So many things to be "Thankful" for.
Wishing a wonderful day for all of you.   
You know ... I'll be back soon with photos to share :)


              Vic


3 comments:

linda said...

This is so very pretty! Have a great day!

harrahx2 said...

Beautiful and you are talented in all areas! You sew and craft and design....jealous! I am very Thankful for your friendship Vic and for the wonderful time I share with you. Sending hugs and love your way and prayers for a terrific day!

Renee said...

What a gorgeous basket liner!! Love the felt and the stitching! TFS