Sunday, March 25, 2012

Busy Weekend

Well, it's been a busy.. but fun weekend.  Seems like we kind of jumped from one thing right to the next. The weather was fantastic.. so why not get out and enjoy it right?    You know me.. I always think photos tell the story best, so I have alot of photos to share from the weekend. But first.. I want to show you something fun my sis and I found at Micheal yesterday, and what I did with some of mine so far.   

We found these fun laser cut wood frames.  I wish you could see the colors I painted them in this photo.  I should have taken a photo of them before I put them in the window.  ( I wrestled with the fishing line enough getting them up..that I didn't have it in me to take them down again to take a photo to be honest) lol  Anyway, I spray painted one of them the red and the other one a kind of aqua greenish color.   I cut pieces of transparency to fit inside the openings.  Well, one is kind of a "frost" clear piece with a flower design, and the other one is clear with white birdcages on it.   I hung them with fishing line and suction cups to the windows in my studio and I love how they look.

( oh.... one other thing I did today... I hung clothes on the cloth line... as you can see thru the window:)
I really LOVE hanging clothes on the line when I can


So I wanted to show you these fun frames .. and that they came in different sizes and shapes.   ** I looked for a manufacture..but it looks like they are a Micheal's product called Art Minds Laser Cut Frames.**   They were on sale this weekend but the small ones where something like..reg 99 cents .. we got them for 69 cents.

Here is one of the big ones.  They were reg $7.99 on sale for $5.49.     I'm thinking turned the other way, and painted , it would be adorable with a "JUST MARRIED" sign in it. lol   (thinking wedding alot this next year).   But there are so many ideas running thru our heads with these.


So I would say  that....that was the fun "find" of the day while Jan and I were out ..BUT  ... we actually found a FREE sign on an awesome  desk and chair down the street from my sisters house, on our way to Michael's.
We loaded that thing up on the car faster than you can say..... "OH yes we will" . haha     I think we were just so excited about the "find", we didn't even think about a taking a photo.lol

___________________________

On Friday , Dan and I , along with Jan, Keith, and Weston, all drove to Columbus to see this amazing Steam Locomotive that was making a scheduled stop on it's way to .Marion, Ark.,  where 300  Civil War historians will help re-enact the Battle of Shiloh.


We were all blown away by how MASSIVE this thing was.  And LOUD.  pretty crazy.
Check out how big those wheels are in comparison to the workers standing by them.


The locomotive was delivered for Union Pacific in 1944. The engine pulled passenger trains at first but in the 1950s was switched to freight duty in Nebraska.



My dad worked for the railroad, as does my brother Dan. Our boys have always been huge train fans.  I wish Jarad and Kate could have come with us..but it was Jarad's EMT testing weekend.   By the way, we are VERY proud of him as he passed his tests, and will now not only be a volunteer firefighter but also a certified EMT.  It was a huge endeavor and alot of dedication, considering all the hours he puts in at work.  Way to go Jarad!  Dad and I are really PROUD of you!


Wes was glad he had the day off and got to be there to check it out.
The train has been equipped with a GPS system and a map of its travels is available on the U.P.’s website at http://www.up.com/.
  ____________________________
After a fim start to the day, checking out the train, we all headed to the cabin.   We grilled, road 4 wheelers down to the sandbar, sat around the campfire and chatted ....  just had a great time.    Good thing I at least snapped this photo of Keith capturing the rest of the day with "his" camera..because I kept forgetting to grab mine.    Check out his awesome camera.  swoooon
 
Saturday we went to see Nathanial's Band perform.   He is such an amazing kid.  We had a great time and loved getting to see everyone there.


Today was another beautiful day.   We often walk with the dogs up to the small bridge on the road behind the house, but really have never walked around there much, because once thing fill in, it's quite overgrown.  Today, we took a walk and ventured a bit further.


There really  isn't that much water, but Molly found what there was.  ( you know what that means.... another bath:(      She usually doesn't like water so I was pretty surprised to see her go in.  Once she was wet, and I knew I was going to have to give her a bath.... I just gave in and we played fetch for quite a while. She totally enjoyed it!

We walked down the road..but once we were down a ways , as we walked, you can look across the field ( since there's nothing planted in it yet) and see our house, over there in that bunch of trees.


Nice walk..but we were all pooped..and ready to head back.


Such a gorgeous, gorgeous day, we got home, gave Molly a "outside" bath, cleaned off the  deck, showered and I had a yummy spinach salad. ( Dan and Molly had grilled hotdogs, so they were happy campers :)

Oh.. and the perfect end to  the afternoon.... a big ol glass of sun tea!  My very favorite warm season drink.



It was such a great weekend, fun times spent with people we love. Thankful for every minute of it.
But ... I think we'll all sleep well tonight :)

Thanks for letting me share my weekend with you thu photos.
I hope you enjoyed your weekend also!






7 comments:

stampqueen said...

Great pics - love what you did with the frames from Micheals ( I may have to pop in our Mike and see if they have any...).
Love the pics of your walk and the train - my Dad worked for Magnus metal in fremont for awhile (they used to make all the bearings and such for UP) and my FIl worked for them for over 40 years....
We had some great weather here this weekend too!!!

Shahrul Niza said...

Hi. I'm Shahrul from Malaysia. I was blog hopping and I found your blog. I love the laser cut art project that you did, beautiful. I too, love to alter things every now and then. And you have beautiful woods outside, the dog really enjoys it. Nice meeting you.

marcia said...

It is so gratifying to have such a full weekend!

harrahx2 said...

Girl, you really packed it in this week-end. Sounds like such a good time. Not sure why you need a different camera, your photos are always amazing!

Ali said...

What a wonderful weekend, Vicki! Loved seeing the pics and reading all about it!
Those frames WERE a beautiful find, WTG! xox

Thanh Vo said...

What a fun weekend and beautiful projects, Vicki!

I got to hang out with Sandy and Scott on Saturday :) And really got to enjoy the sunny weather we had this weekend too.. Ahhhhhh... lol

Marlene (cards4u) said...

What a wonderful weekend!! So happy to hear you had some time to enjoy life : )