Monday, May 28, 2012

Decoupage wood plate

Hoping you all had a great Memorial weekend.  I have been busy packing today to get ready to leave early tomorrow for two weeks.  First I'll be with Crafty Secrets at the Great American Scrapbook Show in Arlington TX.  I hope if any of you are planning to go, you'll stop by and say hello:)  I'll be doing make and takes in the booth, teaching an art journal class, and doing a decoupage demo during the show days. I love to meet you.     After TX, we are on to AZ and then to Mexico.   I'll be doing blog posts along the way when I get the chance:)   More info on that ...below my project.  I wanted to squeeze one more in today before I leave.. so hear goes.    You know me, I'm all about re purposing, so when I found this wood plate at moms that was headed to the sale, I decided to snag it to redo. It started as a black and brown folk art sort of design.   I have seen wood plates in the "woods isle" at Hobby Lobby and other craft stores also.   I first painted it with pink acrylic paint, then  printed off papers and images from Crafty Secrets CDs,  to use for my design.  I start by spraying my ink jet printed sheets with a clear Matte Sealer( to keep them from bleeding when I start decoupaging), and then cut and decoupaged  them onto the wood plate,


It's obviously not water safe..but it will be fun to display:)




                                Arlington TX

                                                                 May 31- June 2, 2012
                                                          Arlington Convention Center





*********************************************************

I have been sharing alot about what's going on in my world the past couple of weeks, and I know it's been far from cheery.  But... because I've brought you this far in the journey, I'll finish up. This weekend was the last weekend to clean out moms house and have the sale. We have all been dreading this because we knew how emotionally hard it would be.  Instead of dwelling on the sad parts of it all, I thought I'd share some of the sweet things that touched my heart.
I love this photo of Jarad and Kate cleaning the big picture window in the living room.  Grandma was always so particular about wanting that window clean.  It touched me to see the way each individual family member did their certain little things to honor her in there own way:)


At the end of the day when things were pretty much wrapped up and we were all there chatting, my brother noticed the little wood things mom always had propped up in the side garage window.  They had been there for years.


My brother Ray walked over to his truck with this one, and look where he put it.  awww


Here's my brother Dan, taking the other one to put in his truck :)

There is  a long history behind the picture my sis Jan is holding below.  It has hung in my parents basement where we all used to gather for holidays.. for as long as I can remember.   Probably since we moved there in 67.  When we went thru things for the sale, like many things, no one wanted to see things be sold, but no one really had a place for it or really wanted it.   It sat out for sale for part of the first day of the sale, we all kept walking by it, looking at it and feeling sentimental,.  Finally, I looked over and saw my sister go pick it up and put it in the back of the garage.  She said.  "I just can't let it go".   We all laughed, saying we felt the same way.   SO..the plan is  it is now the family "Traveling Picture".  lol    If it's your birthday, anniversary, or if its Christmas, or Easter ect... It just might go home with YOU.  Rules are .. like it or not :), it has to hang in your house until you can give it to the next person, as a gift.   We all laughed so hard!

Okay.. now do you want to know why we call it the "Monster Picture".    Well, when I was little I always thought the little group of rocks over in the grass, in this photo, looked like a monster that was laying down.   I don't think I ever told the adults..but I sure told my nieces and nephews ( all of which were either my age or a few years younger).   Why?? I was naughty I guess and thought it would scare them too. lol            After mom passed we were all in the house and one of the kids brought it up.  The adults where like... "WHAT are you guys talking about??"  

so we went down and pointed it out to them.  lol     Do you see it???
Really scared me when I was a kid. lol

I'm sure some will pass that photo off to another quite quickly, as it doesn't exactly fit the decor of many of us.lol    I had to laugh when we were talking about passing it on for Birthdays ect.....    Kate said....
Well, I'm pretty sure I know what we're getting for a wedding gift"   ahahahahahha   I'm sure many normally forgotten holidays .. like say... groundhog day, or   Learning about Composting Day, or maybe ... Dont step on a bee day, may soon be observed by members of my family. lol
** Seriously I found a list of funny holidays... I think I might have to refer too when I get my turn with the picture..  lol They are hysterical! You can see them here.

When I got in my car at the end of the day that day....

*************************************

Yes it was a rough weekend. but there were little bright spots that made me smile.  Wes sent me this photo from his bike trip to the Rockies.  It sounded like they were having a great time.
Need him to get home safe today, then all is well:)


Like I said, I leave early tomorrow morning, so I need to finish packing.   Thanks to all of you for your sweet words, kind thoughts and prayers while we were getting thru the last couple weeks.  Thanks for listening.

Remember next Monday June 4th is Crafty Secrets Linky Party!  We'd love to have you play along!
Here's the info if you want to play... easy and fun.


Ok friends.... hold down the fort for me, I'll post again as soon as I can.

Have a great week!

Vic

8 comments:

Susan said...

What a wonderful post honoring your mother. I'm sorry I will miss you this year at GASC. I will be in Austin with my daughter and new grandson.

ddlady said...

You did a wonderful job refurbishing your mom's wooden plate. It is so beautiful! I so enjoyed all the pictures and reliving your familie's and your memories of moments and things in your mom's house!

Susie said...

Your decoupage plate is so pretty Vicki!
I appreciate you sharing some of your personal stories about this past week. It's not easy going through something like this. You are so blessed to have a wonderful, supportive family. It makes a world of difference, doesn't it?
Wishing you Peace,
Susie

Julie Higgins said...

Have a great trip Vic:) Julie

marcia said...

Every black cloud has a silver lining. I am happy you and yours were able to find happy moments during this rough time. Hugs

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

What a great post...I love the way you share your life with us...

Glad you made it through that tough weekend...and hope your trip is great!

The plate is darling!

Marlene (cards4u) said...

OK the traveling picture is way too much fun - put a smile on my face :)
Hope you Have a Great Trip!!

julie said...

She left little things for you guys, how sweet was that. Your plate is very pretty just add 2 more and hang them on the wall. Thanks for shareing, God bless you and yours.