Saturday, November 10, 2012

Blanket Stitching tutorial/ Vintage paper image baskets/bowls

Hello!!  I'm here :)  I didn't forget my blog yet, just a super busy week. Even tho I didn't  get as much done around "here" this week, my heart is full, because the time was spent doing things that make me feel good. Helping friends.  It was kind of a "pay it forward" kind of week.  I'm trying to remind myself daily, to prioritize, and remember whats really important. Amazing how helping someone else out who's really needing a hand, ends up making "you" feel good.  And... also makes you realize the little things you find yourself complaining about  are nothing, compared to what some have. (this is something I need to remind myself of more often).   I haven't talked about "pay it forward" here on my blog for quite awhile..but give it a try this week, even if it's just in a small way.  I think we all try to do it every chance we get, like letting someone go in front of us in line, or holding a door for someone, but take is a step further this week, and just see how great it makes you feel.

Okay... on with the pretties!  A few days ago I showed you these Printables - a Retro Christmas and Christmas Kids Bowl/Pockets    new from Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage.    I love the idea of these. I remember my mom and Grandma both having these made from vintage Christmas cards, and crocheted. Like I said in my first post, I don't know how to crochet. ( but someone mentioned there are good "how to" videos on YouTube.  I will check that out soon.   What "I" did was blanket stitch around the edges. I  love to blanket stitch, I find it so relaxing.  That is one things I "can" show you how to do, if you don't know how, or just haven't don't in a while and need a refresher.
Here are the two baskets you can create with the downloads.



This is what they look like when you print them out.  Print on white cardstock.


Then your going to flip your paper over and print any pattern on the backside. The paper I used is also new from Crafty Secrets.  ( if you want, you can certainly leave the backside plain. The inside of you bowl will be white)

There will be another sheet you will print off, with a piece you can use for a pattern for where to punch your holes, if will also have the base for your basket on this sheet.   If you choose to, you can also print on the backside of this sheet, but can also just leave it white.  ( so that your base will match your sides).

Use this piece as your template for where to punch your holes.   This was the first basket I made. After this one , I found a punch that was even smaller, that I used on the other.  The smaller the punch you have, the better.   (Unless you are using thick yarn , then you might want them a bit larger). If you used yarn, and a yard darning needle, it would be a fun project to do with the kids. 

I used embroidery floss and blanket stitched around the edges of mine.

If you havent blanket stitched  before, it's really easy.    I'll show you some close ups.  Just seeing it, it's pretty easy to figure out.
I start by tying off a little knot in the back ( which will end up being the inside of your basket).

Once you have it tied off in the back, take your first stitch just like shown below.  It helps to keep in mind... Your goal is to have the floss make a edge, running all the way around the top of your paper.

I've left the floss loose in the photo below so you can see what it will look like before you pull it tight.


Do the same on the corners :)


The photo below shows you what I mean about it making an edge all the way around.
To the same with all the side and with the bottom piece to your basket.

Here is a little hint I found helpful for stitching them together.  I laid them out the way I wanted them, and then used two small safety pins ( one in the top hole and one in the bottom) of each piece to hold them together, while I stitch.

I'm sure there are many ways to can stitch them together.  I just started at the bottom and worked my way to the top of each piece.   The way I did it , you will see a diagonal stitch on the inside. The straight across stitch will show on the outside of the basket.  But on one of the other baskets, I did it opposite and it looked cute also. So which ever you prefer.

I did all my sides first and then added the bottom of the basket last.




The fun part is , you can make these cute little pockets from the template also.  All you have to do, is
leave two of the image pieces connected together when you are cutting them out, punch your holes and stitch away! I added either wire, or twig handles and added some Christmas Greenery to the top one, a gift card in the second and money in the third.
They can be ornaments, or money/gift card holders, ect.


***In another post soon, I'll show you a no-stitch way to make these little pockets also :)


_________________________________________________________________

While I'm talking "Christmas", I have to show you my estate sale find...........
check out this little trunk filled with boxes of "Shiny Brites"!! whoo hooo
All... including the little trunk for $15.  Score!     Happy me!




Hope your day is fantastic!
The sun is shinning here, but it sounds like that is going to change.
Well, it is November after all. I keep forgetting.

Vic

7 comments:

Debbie K. said...

Those baskets and pockets are just ADORABLE, Ms. Vicki! You sure got a find today with your vintage ornaments...wooo hooo! Thanks for sharing the inspiration. Have a great rest of the weekend:)

jan said...

Adorable! Love the blanket stitching, it really makes your images pop!

jan said...

Adorable! The blanket stitches really make the images pop!

jan said...

Adorable! Love the blanket stitching, it really makes your images pop!

Jane said...

Thanks for the tutoria! I have one basket I made with Halloween images a few years ago, but didn't blanket stitch around & didn't think about using a smaller hole punch - both excellent ideas! love the pockets too!
What a find that chest was with all those ornaments!

Starla said...

What darling little baskets! They would make a great little gift presentation!

Sheila R - Blessed and Distressed said...

What cute baskets! Thanks for sharing how.