Monday, December 03, 2012

Altered Canvas Santa frame



Hello everyone!  I hope you had a great weekend and are all refreshed and ready for a new week.  This Monday is Crafty Secrets Linky Party day.  Not only does the Crafty Secrets Design Team share their projects by linking on the post on the Heartwarming Vintage blog, but it's open for anyone to link there also. All you have to do is create a project, card, layout, home deco project or anything you want using a Crafty Secrets product, post it on your blog (gallery ect) and link up on the Heartwarming Vintage blog.
Sandy has been sharing like crazy all the new Christmas things they have created.  LOTS!  So be sure to check those out on the HV blog.
I'm going to show you how I created this Christmas hanging  using the beautiful Santa Image from the Vintage Christmas Ephemera down load.

It's actually quite simple to make. I'll walk you through the steps.


Hobby Stores have so many of these fun wood frames in different shapes and sizes now and they are  quite inexpensive I found these at Hobby Lobby, but anything similar will work find. They take paint or Glimmer Mist really well.  (Glimmer Mist is a breeze with these. just spray, wipe away the excess and just let it dry about 5 minutes)


I love using mists on wood.. it's quick.  I chose to use Paine Jane (color-Burlap)  No worrying about getting paint down in the edges where it's cut, because the spray... just does it.

While that's drying., it's a good time to print your image and paper.  I sized and printed my beautiful Santa image on one of these Canvas sheets instead of paper.  I also printed of a sheet of paper from the Vintage Christmas Papers


The canvas sheets are from Canvas Corp.  Here is what the image looks like once it's printed.   I then cut it out ( four straight sides), and fray the edges by pulling some strings from all four sides.  You'll want to cut you paper that you are going to use for your background to fit your frame... but don't adhere it to the frame just yet.       Now it's time to add your Santa printed on canvas you your printed paper that you just cut.  ( set your paper and your canvas piece inside the frame so you can center why to place it).
  This is where I wanted to incorporate some stitching. Since you'll be stitching around the edges , all you need is a small amount of adhesive .. just to hold the canvas piece to the paper as you stitch.  I used a sewing machine but you can also stitch by hand if you'd rather.

If you haven't used Silver or Gold thread for stitching on our projects I highly suggest giving it a try... because it looks really pretty.  Sometimes it's just little different things like that that you might not think to use.. really make a difference up close.

So now you have the canvas stitched to the background paper.





If you want to add more of an aged look, use a color like (nougat) Glimmer Mist around the edges and then dab it up right away with a paper towel.  That keeps the look subtle.  I wish I could have gotten a daylight picture of my project so you could see better how it looks. ( ran out of daylight :(
 Once it's dry, using hot glue, adhere to your frame.

 I decided to print of some of these bells and holly on to cardstock and cut them out to add as embellishment
.
I've been pulling out some different mediums in my studio and using them more to experiment a bit with what they work best on .  I used Golden ( Matte Fluid Acrylic) (color- Yellow Ochre) on these once white poinsettia blooms.


I hot glued my embellishment on, and then used Stickles ( or any liquid bottled glitter) to the Santas beard. I used "Studio g" glitter glue.

Now you can do your embellishing!  I added the gold sticker border, a couple of buttons, ribbon, my poinsettia's and the bells and holly that I had printed and cut our. ( I added gold glitter glue to the bells)
Add your ribbon to hang your frame and your project is complete.




I love having the option to be able to print whatever size I want for different projects, and I can print them on light paper,heavier paper, colored paper,  fabric, tissue ect ect.     For the decorative hanging light below, I one of the other  Santa images , and printed on cardstock, ( and added the "Merry Christmas")




I'm sure the other girls have bunches of beautiful projects to share today to here are the links to their projects.  Or you can find all the project links as they come in over the next few days, on  the Heartwarming Vintage Blog.   You can also see postings of all the new Christmas releases there :)

Michele Kovach
Darlene Pavlick
Melissa Bove


Thanks so much for stopping by!

Vic




    13 comments:

    Sarah said...

    This Santa is my favorite of all of the Santa images that I have seen. You have showcased him beautifully, Vic. I love the hanging light and may just have to make one for my kitchen.

    Susan said...

    I love this Santa too. Your altered frame is gorgeous!

    Darlene (SCS:akronstamperdpk) said...

    WOW both projects are absolutely fabulous Vic ... this is my all time FAVORITE Santa image and you've really showcased him beautifully! thanks for always inspiring me! Have a great week!

    Sue C said...

    What a lovely frame! Elegant and with that vintage look.

    Sue C

    Melissa Bove (SCS ~ Melissa1872) said...

    Absolutely gorgeous Vicki! Stunning work as always!

    hugs...

    Michele said...

    You always create the most amazing projects! Beautiful!

    Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

    Wow, this is a beauty, Vic! I love the frayed edges on the canvas and the stitching with the gold thread. I've tried that, but my machine balks at metallic thread. I'll have to try a different brand, as I do love the look! Thanks for the wonderful step by step!

    Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

    Thanks for the photo tutorial. I always have loved this image.And your finished design is gorgeous. Haven't yet tried printing on canvas, I think I stowed it away and ForGot! Enjoy

    harrahx2 said...

    Just lovely Vicki. You always find the perfect little touches for each project!

    Gail said...

    Both of your projects are lovely - thanks for being part of the linky party - have a great evening

    Charlie duvall said...

    your frame is really amazing...
    and your projects are lovely...
    Canvas Frames

    Ghayoor Shaikh said...

    This is really Artistic approach of you. You are superb in this act:)
    Canvas Frames

    seo canvasprintsandgifts said...

    This is very nice blog i really apprecited in this blog thanks for sharing...
    canvas frames
    Canvas Rolls
    Stretcher Brands