Monday, May 06, 2013

Crafty Secrets May Linky Party

It's Linky Party Day with Crafty Secrets today!   I look forward to it every month.. but especially this month, as I know the Design Team girls have some great things planned to share with everyone.   Each of us has a little something different that we are going to be sharing with you, as far as a way we've used a particular Crafty Secrets product.

I chose to tell you about how I used one of the digital stamps (Poppy digital stamp) to create a embroidery pattern, .... and then how I created a very handmade looking album album with the fabric embroidered piece for the cover.


I used a piece of printable canvas to print on.   There are many different kinds you can get. The one I used is from Canvas Corp.  Since my sheet was a 12x12 size, the first thing I did was cut it to 8.5x11 to fit my printer.   I will be using my ink jet printer.    After downloading my digital stamp from the "Crafty Vintage Girl" Store, I open it, in Photoshop ( or whatever photo editing software you use).   I sized it to the size I would like it to be (yay.. with digit stamps you have that option) and then lighten it just slightly.  The reason I lighten the it is because If my stitching is not precise ( which I guarantee you it is not!) lol, and I go off the line, if the line is lighter, it wont be as noticeable.  I don't want to make it so light that I can see it well while I'm stitching tho.
Time to go ahead and put it in your printer and hit "print".

I LOVE embroidering!  I used to do it so much ..but have just gotten away from it since I've been caught up in paper crafting.  I love that it's so relaxing, and that I can sit down stairs with Dan and watch ( listen too) TV with him , while I'm working on it.      I have to remind myself, to just slow down and enjoy the process. It's doesn't have more instant gratification I get most of the time when paper crafting.    So I started......
and I stitched... and I stitched...


and I stitched some more.   And finally  my pretty little Poppy was finished.   Now to create my album cover.


 I decided I wanted to use one of the gorgeous paper patterns from the new"Sew Creative" CD, and print it on another piece of canvas to complete my album cover.


So .. that's exactly what I did. lol
I stitched the two together. ( the embroidered canvas  piece and the printed canvas piece).


I use Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L Adhesive Sheets for adhering large pieces like this, it works great for projects like this.
When you use the adhesive sheets you will see there is a while sheet and a yellow sheet.  When you pull the yellow sheet way, you will see the sticky part of the white sheet exposed.  This is the part that will go face down onto your blank album cover.

One you put the white sheet, sticky side down onto your album front, rub across it with your hands, getting to all the parts of the sheet, making sure the adhesive is transferring to the album front.
Then find a corner and slowly pull the paper up , leaving the adhesive  behind on the album front.
Now your ready to lay your stitched fabric piece down and adhere it to the cover.....

wrapping it around the edges . ( with a about a 1/2- 3/4 inch border to adhere to the inside of the album cover on the front and the back. 

So that's it looks nice and tidy on the inside of the front and back covers, Print off other matching patterned papers from the CD on to card stock, trim and adhere them to cover here your canvas has over lapped.

At this point, since I am unsure exactly what special thing I'm going to be using this album for, I just covered all my pages with pretty papers from the same CD.... so I pretty much just have it all ready to go.  I will probably use it as a keepsake album with old b&w photos of my parents, grandparents ... ect...    I will be keeping it simple, not alot of embellishments.  I love the look of it right now... it just looks like something I would find sitting at my Grandmas house :)


Well, I hope this gives more inspiration for another idea of a way to use the digital stamps from Crafty Secrets.


***********************************

Before I forget and send you on to the other girls I also wanted to tell you about the BIG SALE Crafty Secrets has going on right now until Wed May 8/13 on all their regular and digital product in the Crafty Vintage Girl online store



Now for more inspiration using other Crafty Secrets products, pop over and see what the Design Team has to show you on their personal blogs.


And you know we'd love to have you play along with us!!!   Here are the details on the 
Heartwarming Vintage Blog!

And don't forget to get your FREE Mothers Day Printable HERE.


Have a fantastic Day!

Vicki



11 comments:

Darlene (SCS:akronstamperdpk) said...

WOW! This is amazing and absolutely beautiful Vic! Thanks so much for all the details! When I find more hours in my day I want to give this a whirl! FANTASTIC!

Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage Co. said...

Hi Vic, this is such a great idea. Your hand stitching looks so 3D cool and it adds such personality to the cover!

Cammie said...

Gorgeous! I have fond memories of learning to embroider with my mother and grandmother. I completed an embroidery project last fall after a long absence from floss and hoop. I am going to be looking at my digital stamps with embroidery in mind. Thank you for the inspiration.

Kristina M. Anderson said...

Just lovely! Thank you for the great tutorial! I cannot wait to start creating!

Country Liv . . . said...

You did an awesome job of explaining the process and your photos are so crisp and clear. Sigh . . .

Melissa Bove (SCS ~ Melissa1872) said...

Wow Vicki!! I never thought about doing that!! I will definitely have to try that!! You are just too creative my friend!!

hugs...

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

So pretty, Vicki! I love the inner pages, too. I used to embroider all the time, but my eyes just won't let me do it any more. The hand stitching adds so much lovely texture.

Jane Wetzel said...

hi there Vicki :) LOVE this and omg..I want to embroider something so bad! lol Thanks for the GREAT tutorial- those adhesives are on my list now for sure- awesome!

Jean said...

This is beautiful!

Rea said...

So creative Vicki and it turned out beautiful.

Conniecrafter said...

Love the stitching and great idea to print on the canvas so you could stitch the two together for the cover!